Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSsports.com: Redskins Team Considered Best Ever

srtman04

This is a nice change of pace from all the Kirk Cousins contract talks and where this current is going, etc.  Let us return to the Glory Days.  CBS Sports performed an interesting analysis on the 1991 Redskins and they may be considered the greatest single team of all time:

"CBS Sports took on the task of statistically proving which team was the best in the history of NFL each franchise. Along the way, CBS Sports determined the Redskins are the franchise that holds the designation of best team ever.

That team is the 1991 Washington Redskins.

“In fact, using DVOA ratings going back to 1950, Football Outsiders deemed the [1991] 'Skins to be the best team of all time, period,” wrote CBS Sports’ Brad Gagnon. “‘Washington may have been the most well-rounded team in NFL history,’ wrote Aaron Schatz in 2010. The Super Bowl XXVI winner went 17-2, demolishing all three of its playoff opponents and losing those two games by a combined total of just five points."

More at the following link:

http://was.247sports.com/Bolt/This-Redskins-team-considered-the-best-ever-38012543

If I remember correctly the Skins pulled or barely played starters in that 2nd loss which was against the Eagles.It was the last game of the season and they already had home field wrapped up.The first loss was to a woeful Cowboy team that hadn't won a game and Washington was probably a little over confident.

34 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

If I remember correctly the Skins pulled or barely played starters in that 2nd loss which was against the Eagles.It was the last game of the season and they already had home field wrapped up.The first loss was to a woeful Cowboy team that hadn't won a game and Washington was probably a little over confident.

no, that Cowboys loss was in 89.  This Cowboy team was just about to hit their stride.  I think they actually made the playoffs and were the team Detroit beat to get to the NFC championship game.

This game the Skins knocked out Aikman and Steve Beurlein came in to win it.  The Skins and Cowboys backup QBs....you know how it goes

56 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

Yes, I remember they were seeing if they could break the sack record for allowing the least amount of sacks in a season.  Once they gave up the first sack, we pulled our starters. You can say what you want about the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, but that 91 Philadelphia defense was nasty. 

Such a bad memory - it was the one game that I was able to attend that year.  The "killer" was a Hail Mary TD that the Cowboys completed at the end of the 1H.......

Had we won this game - - I am convinced that we would have gone undefeated for the season as we wouldn't have totally laid  down against the Eagles in the season final....,,,

1 hour ago, Tarpon75 said:

Yeah Jimmy Johnson said

This game was must-win for Dallas if they wanted to make the playoffs, and Johnson would later write that the Cowboys felt they had no choice but to unleash everything they had against the Redskins. From going for it on fourth down, to onside kicks at odd times, to constantly blitzing, Johnson threw the kitchen sink at the ‘Skins.

If you want a great read that, check out:

The 1991 Washington Redskins: A Forgotten All-Time Great Champion

http://www.thesportsnotebook.com/2014/06/1991-washington-redskins-sports-history-articles/

What a great season that was. The offense so explosive. The defense dominant (the first 3 home games they pitched shut-outs). A truly complete football team.

The season was made even sweeter because the team they beat in the Super Bowl, the Buffalo Bills, were clearly the best team in the AFC that year. So the season had a feeling of truly being a champion.

I only feel bad for the Redskins fans who weren't around or too young to remember such a awesome season of football by Gibbs and the Redskins.

BTW, today is the 25th anniversary of the SB win over Buffalo.

Another footnote on the game and its aftermath:

Bills defensive line coach Chuck Dickerson mocked the Washington Redskins' famed offensive line, "The Hogs" in a television interview. Dickerson said Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby was "a Neanderthal – he slobbers a lot, he probably kicks dogs in his neighborhood." He also said tackle Jim Lachey "has bad breath. Players will fall down without him even touching them."[7] Redskins coach Joe Gibbs got his hands on some tapes of Dickerson and played them at a team meeting on the night before the game. (Levy fired Dickerson three days after the game.)

Halftime show

The halftime show was titled "Winter Magic" and featured a celebration to the winter season and the Winter Olympics. In addition to dancers and performers, former Olympic champions Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill skated on sheets of Teflon that were embedded on the tops of large platforms that were placed on the field for the show. Singer Gloria Estefan performed during the show's finale.

To compete with the halftime show, Fox decided to broadcast a special live episode of In Living Color and was able to attract and keep Super Bowl viewers. It was decided that Michael Jackson would perform at halftime during Super Bowl XXVII, followed by more big-name talent during subsequent Super Bowl halftimes in order to maintain Super Bowl viewership.

A season during which I saw a great deal of change in my personal life as I had just left grad school and was starting my career in DC.

As such, I watched the games in an assortment of places and remember each one vividly.  I watched with college friends in an apartment, at a local bar near my childhood home as I was moving my things out, at my new apartment when I started my new job, and finally the playoff games that I saw in person at RFK.

Sometimes, on those nights where I can't seem to find sleep, I'll close my eyes and go through my memories of that season game by game.  Where and who I watched them with, how the games unfolded, etc.  I usually don't get very far into the season before I relax and fall asleep.  It's my own version of counting sheep.

Awesome season, awesome team.

I lived in Kansas then.  My best friend had purchased a satellite dish a year or two before that.  It was one of those HUGE NASA like dishes-remember those? We watched every second of every Redskins game that year, often with the unfiltered "raw" feed.  No commercials & the announcers would talk plainly about the game, cheerleaders, whatever.  I would go over to his place, drink beer, throw darts, and revel in Redskins greatness.  It was a magical year that I will never forget.  It was the best of times.  Hail 

Yeah I've always felt that the '91 team didn't get enough respect when it came to the all-time great teams because for one it was QB'd by Mark Rypien who isn't a household name.  However, since this is about a team's individual season, I don't think things like that should carry weight.  This isn't about a dynasty, or an "era" this ranking is purely single season greatness, and I would argue that overall that 'Skins team quite possibly is the best ever taking into account that both units were pretty dominant.  The '85 Bears are up there, but they were clearly anchored by an all time great defense, and their offense was a bit along for the ride. 

Washington toyed with the league in '91. 

2 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Yep. The Skins were up big at half too. And then basically sat everyone and then the Eagles came back to win at the buzzer. Always a little bitter the team wasn't 18-1 as I feel people would give the team more credit for being great if they were.

the other loss, as mentioned, was to the Cowboys. It was a tough loss, but the Cowboys were good. they probably should have won the first meeting (way back in Week 2 or something) if they hadn't mismanaged the clock. Plus they'd go on to win the next two Super Bowls. The Lions knocked them out of the playoffs, which I won't complain about. I kind of wondered what a Cowboys-Redskins NFC championship would have been like that year. But It definitely would have been a better game than the Lions gave.

What a magical year.  I was in college, had just moved out to an apartment and remember watching Brian Mitchell return a punt in the 45-0 blowout of the Lions in the opener and just saying..."This team is going to win the Super Bowl."  You just knew it, you felt it all year, despite the loss to the Cowboys, hail mary to end the first half, the almost loss to the Oilers, this team was just dominant.  Think about that, they played Detroit twice that year, a good team, and beat them by a combined 96-10.  Yeah, sort of glad they knocked out Dallas but we had home field advantage, hard to believe Gibbs losing one with that much on the line with the offensive line we had.  May have changed the game plan and run Byner and Riggs more.

One thing that both helps and hurts the 91 team in terms of recognition is that the league was really bad in 1991. It was a very down year across the board. 

It was the one year in a span of about 20 where the 49ers missed the playoffs. The Giants were also way down. The Bears were decent, but not great. So the other three teams in the NFC that were normally juggernauts were all non-factors. 

Then, you had the Eagles with an all time great defense. But Randall tears his ACL week one and their offense is just horrendous all year. 

And it was the breakout year for Dallas but they weren't quite there yet-- a year away. The Falcons and Lions were both good stories that year, but neither were particularly good teams. That Lions team has to be one of the worst to ever play in a tittle game. The Saints were good, but choked in the playoffs like they always did back in that era. 

The Bills were the only other team in 1991 in the entire league that I would have said was really good. Of course we dismantled them in Minneapolis. 

So our stats and such are bolstered by playing a weak schedule that year. But History also kind of forgets us because it was SO easy and we didn't knock off any big names or have dramatic playoff wins. 

The 1991 Redskins were an excellent team. Everything came together and if you could bottle that team and that season I do believe they could beat just about any team in history head to head on a given day. 

It's hard to compare them though to the Dynasty teams. Overall the early to mid 90s Cowboys were better. Meaning they were dominant for 4 straight years winning three SBs. Overall they had better players for sure. But in a vacuum the 91 Redskins could have at least played their best teams to a draw in any given game. 

I also still think the 1983 Redskins have an argument as best team in Redskins history. SB XVIII remains a mystery. 

3 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

YES. We pulled our defensive starters in that game and it cost us the number one defensive ranking for the season. Our defense ended up number two. Ill bet Larry Peccatielo and Richie Pettibon's heads almost exploded over that.

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Yep. The Skins were up big at half too. And then basically sat everyone and then the Eagles came back to win at the buzzer. Always a little bitter the team wasn't 18-1 as I feel people would give the team more credit for being great if they were.

the other loss, as mentioned, was to the Cowboys. It was a tough loss, but the Cowboys were good. they probably should have won the first meeting (way back in Week 2 or something) if they hadn't mismanaged the clock. Plus they'd go on to win the next two Super Bowls. The Lions knocked them out of the playoffs, which I won't complain about. I kind of wondered what a Cowboys-Redskins NFC championship would have been like that year. But It definitely would have been a better game than the Lions gave.

In that loss to Philly, Chip Lohmiller missed a FG.  Chip's last FG came after a red zone fail.  We had it first and goal at the Eagles 9!  The Eagles first TD came on a 74 yard pick six and their last TD was set up by an AJ Johnson unsportsmanlike and then a bad snap on the second punt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-championships-1991-game-16-vs-philadelphia/2011/06/23/AGJUMOhH_blog.html

Our best year and one of the stronger years for the NFC-Beast.  We were almost certainly the best of the best that year.  Cowboys were on the leading edge of a future dynasty.  Eagles were in 1/2 game of the playoffs and some had given them a SB rating.  The Giants were 8-8 but 5 of those losses were to NFC East teams!  Even that Cards were significantly better outside the division.

Archived