Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSsports.com: Redskins Team Considered Best Ever

srtman04

Funny. The year prior, the Redskins were a wildcard team, and playing good football, but the Giants were the division leaders and eventual SB champions. 

That NFCC game in NY was brutal; shut down and dominated. Ryp was feeling the pressure, second guessing himself, much like someone else we talk about alot today. 

The similarities are boggling if you look at it.  Only difference is the defense. Momentum. In 90' we just missed, in 91' we went all the way, and in 92' we just missed again. The ebb and flow of the league back then was alot more predictable.

I don't know if another Redskin team can match up against the 91' team, they were in tune, coaches knew what to do, when to do it, and to whom. And the players responded. Funny though, Ryp held out for a bigger paycheck but got in before game 1. The rest, well, is history.  Or is it?

4 hours ago, Ashburn Dave said:

That's because we haven't had any other glory days to remember.  Sure wish I was as fanatical back then as I am now.  Would have been treking around to all the away games and super bowls.

Nah, it's because it was one helluva season. Start off the season with three straight shut-outs at home, lose only 2 games all season, and by a grand total of 5 points. Steamroll through the playoffs. Cap it all off with a resounding dominating win over the Bills, who just missed winning the SB the year before by a missed FG.

Plus, I watched the Super Bowl from a beachfront bar in Jamaica lol...with two beautiful female bartenders serving me drinks the whole time. Hard to forget that, no matter how much success occurs in between now and then.

6 hours ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Yes, I remember they were seeing if they could break the sack record for allowing the least amount of sacks in a season.  Once they gave up the first sack, we pulled our starters. You can say what you want about the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, but that 91 Philadelphia defense was nasty. 

Fo real...just Reg n' Brown were enough to disrupt any O...I'd put it in the top 5 in my time...85 Bears #1...Giants with LT...Steelers '70s...Tampa's and Ravens...

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Nah, it's because it was one helluva season. Start off the season with three straight shut-outs at home, lose only 2 games all season, and by a grand total of 5 points. Steamroll through the playoffs. Cap it all off with a resounding dominating win over the Bills, who just missed winning the SB the year before by a missed FG.

Plus, I watched the Super Bowl from a beachfront bar in Jamaica lol...with two beautiful female bartenders serving me drinks the whole time. Hard to forget that, no matter how much success occurs in between now and then.

lol you had to have been on Cloud 9

5 hours ago, kleese said:

One thing that both helps and hurts the 91 team in terms of recognition is that the league was really bad in 1991. It was a very down year across the board. 

It was the one year in a span of about 20 where the 49ers missed the playoffs. The Giants were also way down. The Bears were decent, but not great. So the other three teams in the NFC that were normally juggernauts were all non-factors. 

Then, you had the Eagles with an all time great defense. But Randall tears his ACL week one and their offense is just horrendous all year. 

And it was the breakout year for Dallas but they weren't quite there yet-- a year away. The Falcons and Lions were both good stories that year, but neither were particularly good teams. That Lions team has to be one of the worst to ever play in a tittle game. The Saints were good, but choked in the playoffs like they always did back in that era. 

The Bills were the only other team in 1991 in the entire league that I would have said was really good. Of course we dismantled them in Minneapolis. 

So our stats and such are bolstered by playing a weak schedule that year. But History also kind of forgets us because it was SO easy and we didn't knock off any big names or have dramatic playoff wins. 

The 1991 Redskins were an excellent team. Everything came together and if you could bottle that team and that season I do believe they could beat just about any team in history head to head on a given day. 

It's hard to compare them though to the Dynasty teams. Overall the early to mid 90s Cowboys were better. Meaning they were dominant for 4 straight years winning three SBs. Overall they had better players for sure. But in a vacuum the 91 Redskins could have at least played their best teams to a draw in any given game. 

I also still think the 1983 Redskins have an argument as best team in Redskins history. SB XVIII remains a mystery. 

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

In that loss to Philly, Chip Lohmiller missed a FG.  Chip's last FG came after a red zone fail.  We had it first and goal at the Eagles 9!  The Eagles first TD came on a 74 yard pick six and their last TD was set up by an AJ Johnson unsportsmanlike and then a bad snap on the second punt.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-championships-1991-game-16-vs-philadelphia/2011/06/23/AGJUMOhH_blog.html

Our best year and one of the stronger years for the NFC-Beast.  We were almost certainly the best of the best that year.  Cowboys were on the leading edge of a future dynasty.  Eagles were in 1/2 game of the playoffs and some had given them a SB rating.  The Giants were 8-8 but 5 of those losses were to NFC East teams!  Even that Cards were significantly better outside the division.

I knew Dallas was on their way up, but I'd forgotten that the Giants and Eagles were that good.  Philly started 4 guys at QB that year, including Jeff Kemp who

d been a free agent and brad Goebal who'd been a UDFA

thinking about it 91 was kind of a last hurrah for the 80s lead in to the 90s.  Bears were still trying to figure out whether Harbaugh or Tomczak was mcMahon's replacement.  Hosstetler's performance the previous year gave the Giants a QB controversy.  Montana was out injured in San Fran and I think Young was injured and we saw Steve Bono in for them.  The Vikings were really falling off after the Walker trade

7 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

BTW, today is the 25th anniversary of the SB win over Buffalo.

Halftime show

To compete with the halftime show, Fox decided to broadcast a special live episode of In Living Color and was able to attract and keep Super Bowl viewers. It was decided that Michael Jackson would perform at halftime during Super Bowl XXVII, followed by more big-name talent during subsequent Super Bowl halftimes in order to maintain Super Bowl viewership.

The Living Color show as so funny.  It included a count-down clock so everyone knew when to turn the channel and go back to the game.  Also had some skit that I think (memory is foggy) had some dude steal the score board clock from the SB and wear it on a gold chain around his neck.  It was something like that.  Someone should dig up the URL from that show.  It would make great off-season viewing.

6 hours ago, kleese said:

And it was the breakout year for Dallas but they weren't quite there yet-- a year away. The Falcons and Lions were both good stories that year, but neither were particularly good teams. That Lions team has to be one of the worst to ever play in a tittle game. The Saints were good, but choked in the playoffs like they always did back in that era. 

The Bills were the only other team in 1991 in the entire league that I would have said was really good. Of course we dismantled them in Minneapolis. 

Yeah Ed, I think the '91 team was one that is underappreciated even by Skins fans because of the lack of that memorable win in the playoffs. The '82 team had the NFCCG win over Dallas. The '83 SB-losing team had the NFCCG win over the 49ers.  And the '87 team had the divisional win over the Bears highlighted by Darrell's hurdling punt return.

The '91 team merely took care of business and demolished two teams in Atlanta and Detroit that, other than that year, really did nothing else in that era.  The SB against Buffalo was a workmanlike butt-whooping that had no signature moments like Riggo's 4th and 1 in SB 17 or the 35-point second quarter of SB 22.

10 hours ago, carex said:

no, that Cowboys loss was in 89.  This Cowboy team was just about to hit their stride.  I think they actually made the playoffs and were the team Detroit beat to get to the NFC championship game.

This game the Skins knocked out Aikman and Steve Beurlein came in to win it.  The Skins and Cowboys backup QBs....you know how it goes

I stand corrected.

2 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

The Living Color show as so funny.  It included a count-down clock so everyone knew when to turn the channel and go back to the game.  Also had some skit that I think (memory is foggy) had some dude steal the score board clock from the SB and wear it on a gold chain around his neck.  It was something like that.  Someone should dig up the URL from that show.  It would make great off-season viewing.

Was it something like this?  LOL

The 91' year, division-wise, was crazy. Dallas was on the upswing, the Giants started out decent but fell apart, and the Eagles, well, were the Eagles. I don't remember anything good about them; the MNF game against them, we shut them out! That was the game where we held them to UNDER 100 total yards of offense, if I'm not mistaken. Their QBs couldn't get out of their own way, and the defense was actually toying with them, daring them to try anything.

It was this game that I knew this team would go all the way.

My wife [ at the time ] who was a die hard Dallas fan, actually bought me one of the limited edition footballs used in the game, along with the plack of Rypien, C.O.A., and my Zubas. God, those Zubas were hell on my eyes after a wild night out.

13 hours ago, jjpomeroy said:

Such a bad memory - it was the one game that I was able to attend that year.  The "killer" was a Hail Mary TD that the Cowboys completed at the end of the 1H.......

My first regular season Redskins game. Was sitting in some bleacher seats even with the ten yard line, that were on the concourse,

My first trip to RFK was for a preseason game against the Vikings in 1980 ... the year Riggins sat out.Facepalm gesture emoticon (Hand gesture emoticons)

17 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

That halftime show was where much of the country was introduced to Jim Carrey. Though I'm not a big fan of his, he was funny in a skit where the have a reporter interviewing a Redskin coach (really just an actor), and Carrey plays a football fan playing up the camera in the back round.

14 hours ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Yes, I remember they were seeing if they could break the sack record for allowing the least amount of sacks in a season.  Once they gave up the first sack, we pulled our starters. You can say what you want about the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, but that 91 Philadelphia defense was nasty. 

Easily the all time best defense I've ever seen.

That game was probably my favorite of all time. East was nasty AF. It was like the eagles were trying to toughen us up. Last real punch in the face from the East, before we go beat everyone else.

10 hours ago, DM72 said:

Remember that game as if it was yesterday. I was a senior in high school that year. A Redskin fan in Bills country.

I was a senior in eagles country.

Watched the SB on an aircraft carrier. 

6 hours ago, carex said:

I knew Dallas was on their way up, but I'd forgotten that the Giants and Eagles were that good.  Philly started 4 guys at QB that year, including Jeff Kemp who

d been a free agent and brad Goebal who'd been a UDFA

thinking about it 91 was kind of a last hurrah for the 80s lead in to the 90s.  Bears were still trying to figure out whether Harbaugh or Tomczak was mcMahon's replacement.  Hosstetler's performance the previous year gave the Giants a QB controversy.  Montana was out injured in San Fran and I think Young was injured and we saw Steve Bono in for them.  The Vikings were really falling off after the Walker trade

Pretty sure Tommy tupa the punter was briefly under center as a QB too. That defense was incredible but Buddy's offense was one of the worst ever.

27 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pretty sure Tommy tupa the punter was briefly under center as a QB too. That defense was incredible but Buddy's offense was one of the worst ever.

checked it out, Tupa was still with the Cards that year

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Buddy got fired after the Skins beat them in the playoffs following the 1990 season. Think Rich Kotite was their coach in '91. Like Ed said, once Randall Cunningham got injured in the first game, it was over for them.......but I think they won like their last five games that season.

And speaking of coaching changes, Parcells also retired after the 1990 season and Ray Handley took his place in NY. Handley chose Hostetler, who won the SB in '90, over Simms, who got injured midway thru 90. I doubt Parcells would've made the same decision if he stuck around. Nonetheless, the Skins beat both QBs in 91, Hostetler in the great mid-season comeback game in NY, and Simms at RFK late in the season.

Hard to disagree with them. They were utterly dominant.

Favorite moment of the season..  hard to say.. several.

Game 3 vs the Cardinals, Wilber Marshall picks off a pass and during the run back makes a move and fakes a pitch, and RB Johnny Johnson is so juked he falls over like one of those fainting goats. Brain short circuits, arms stick out, stiff legged and down. Wilber scored and handed the ball to a kid in a wheelchair right there in the front.

in the Super Bowl, the Redskins defense mashes Jim Kelly on a 3rd down .. Kelly gets up so woozy he started walking toward the Redskins bench. Our defense had to turn him around and point him to his own sideline.. he staggered off like a drunk.

so many more, but i have to get in the car and get to work.

~Bang

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Buddy got fired after the Skins beat them in the playoffs following the 1990 season. Think Rich Kotite was their coach in '91. Like Ed said, once Randall Cunningham got injured in the first game, it was over for them.......but I think they won like their last five games that season.

And speaking of coaching changes, Parcells also retired after the 1990 season and Ray Handley took his place in NY. Handley chose Hostetler, who won the SB in '90, over Simms, who got injured midway thru 90. I doubt Parcells would've made the same decision if he stuck around. Nonetheless, the Skins beat both QBs in 91, Hostetler in the great mid-season comeback game in NY, and Simms at RFK late in the season.

I always Mix 90 and 91 stuff up with those eagles. 90 They had a really good offense. 91 They fell apart. Man, 80's and the beginning of the 90's, the East really was everything. 

And then came the FA era to ruin it. The best teams then had to start carrying the slack of second rate teams so the NFL could expand its brand.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Tarpon75 said:

If I remember correctly the Skins pulled or barely played starters in that 2nd loss which was against the Eagles.It was the last game of the season and they already had home field wrapped up.The first loss was to a woeful Cowboy team that hadn't won a game and Washington was probably a little over confident.

Comment deleted for inaccuracy.

19 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

And Peter King still insists that they were not a dominant team, and that the 1990 Bills were better.

If that's what he wants to think, good for him. Though his thinking makes this victory even better because we crushed the better team then!

I remember too there was an episode of the Simpsons before the Superbowl where Lisa becomes a sports-betting guru and wins for Homer and the writers of the show had her pick the 'Skins to beat Buffalo.  Being a kid at the time I was already a fan of The Simpsons but that was a memorable moment from the early days of the show.

Also, I remember during the playoffs I was selling jerky/beef sticks to raise money for the 6th grade science camp end of school year field trip, and was out walking the neighborhood during the first half of the 'Skins/Falcons game.  Every time a guy answered the door I would ask for a score update.  Not only did I get it every time, but it seemed to work well for sales as people were buying a lot of them for game time snacks. 

Archived