Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people not outraged over Trump not releasing his taxes!!!?

boobiemiles

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Your math is a little off I believe.  You didn't carry the decimal far enough.  1% of the population number you used would be 3,189,000.

I used the population as of July 4th 2016 per the government census website of 323,148,587.  I got 0.09534% of america.  

So not even 1/10th of 1 percent care enough to just sign a petition.

Numbers are fun.

You are absolutely right about the percentage of people who have signed.  I suck at math. 

But your assertion about people who "care enough to sign," though, makes the illogical assumption that the entire population knows about the petition and chooses not to sign.

By just about any measure, 300,000 people signing a petition is significant, and shines a light on the lie that people don't care. 

BTW: 308,706

1 hour ago, BornaSkinsFan83 said:

Some folks are trying to put together a march fot it. We'll see what happens 

https://www.trumptaxmarch2017.com/current-marches/

Eld22rE.jpg

That's a good idea. Even to bring people out again. I can promise this...if there is a march on Tax Day. He won't be in Washington for it. He'll be elsewhere and claim he didn't see it, but heard it was very small.

3 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

You are absolutely right about the percentage of people who have signed.  I suck at math. 

What your assertion about people who "care enough to sign," though, makes the illogical assumption that the entire population knows about the petition and chooses not to sign.

By just about any measure, 300,000 people signing a petition is significant, and shines a light on the lie that people don't care. 

I teach math so I may have had an unfair advantage. :headbang:

As for what the numbers mean, I disagree.  Sure not every person knows about it.  But let's just say that every person that voted for Hillary knows.  I don't think that is an unfair assumption when you consider there are also many who didn't but know.  What percentage then have signed.  I'm just saying if it is so important I'd expect it to be in the millions.  It's not like it is difficult to sign the petition.  Look how many people signed the petition for us to build a death star.  Is it possible not as many people really care as some may think?  300k is really a small number in the grand scheme of things.

22 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Your math is a little off I believe (and that is me politely saying you're wrong).  You didn't carry the decimal far enough.  1% of the population number you used would be 3,189,000.

I used the population as of July 4th 2016 per the government census website of 323,148,587.  I got 0.09534% of america.  

So not even 1/10th of 1 percent care enough to just sign a petition.

Numbers are fun.

Would you be comfortable saying that considering the number of marchers on Saturday, only 1% or so of the population cares about women's issues/rights, etc?

18 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I teach math so I may have had an unfair advantage. :headbang:

As for what the numbers mean, I disagree.  Sure not every person knows about it.  But let's just say that every person that voted for Hillary knows.  I don't think that is an unfair assumption when you consider there are also many who didn't but know.  What percentage then have signed.  I'm just saying if it is so important I'd expect it to be in the millions.  It's not like it is difficult to sign the petition.  Look how many people signed the petition for us to build a death star.  Is it possible not as many people really care as some may think?  300k is really a small number in the grand scheme of things.

January 16, 2017. Seventy-four percent of Americans  say he should release his tax records, according to the poll, and further, among Republicans, 49 percent also say the president-elect should release he tax records. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-most-americans-still-think-trump-should-release-his-tax-returns/

What's 74 percent of 323,148,587?

I will defend @Popeman38 in that just because Donald Trump has more money than Bernie Sanders doesn't mean that one should be more transparent than the other. It's not a false equivalency to hold politicians to the same standards regardless of background. I do get that Trumps is more consequential, but no one should get a pass. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Would you be comfortable saying that considering the number of marchers on Saturday, only 1% or so of the population cares about women's issues/rights, etc?

I would say at least 1%.  I will also point out that going to March takes substantially more effort.  I would have gone but I had to work.  I know others that didn't because they were concerned about security.  And then some just didn't think it is really that big of an issue.  To sign the petition takes a lot less effort.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

January 16, 2017. Seventy-four percent of Americans  say he should release his tax records, according to the poll, and further, among Republicans, 49 percent also say the president-elect should release he tax records. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-most-americans-still-think-trump-should-release-his-tax-returns/

What's 74 percent of 323,148,587?

Well that is a poll so 74% of the country didn't say that.  The polling people believe 74% of the people feel that way.  And ask Hillary how reliable polls are.  Again, if these people cared that much, maybe they would do something as simple as signing a petition from the comfort of their own home.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I would say at least 1%.  I will also point out that going to March takes substantially more effort.  I would have gone but I had to work.  I know others that didn't because they were concerned about security.  And then some just didn't think it is really that big of an issue.  To sign the petition takes a lot less effort.

Well that is a poll so 74% of the country didn't say that.  The polling people believe 74% of the people feel that way.  And ask Hillary how reliable polls are.  Again, if these people cared that much, maybe they would do something as simple as signing a petition from the comfort of their own home.

So you don't think internet security searches come into anyone's mind before signing said "petition from the comfort of their own home"?  Are you really serious?

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Well that is a poll so 74% of the country didn't say that.  The polling people believe 74% of the people feel that way.  

Have you ever taken a statistics course? Do you understand what sampling is and how it functions? 

And ask Hillary how reliable polls are.

This is perhaps my least favorite slogan to come out of the election cycle. A delightfully compact opt-out in the face of reason, logic and statistics.

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

So you don't think internet security searches come into anyone's mind before signing said "petition from the comfort of their own home"?  Are you really serious?

Sure.  But I would imagine that those in the tin foil hats are a small size of population.  If, supposably, 74% of the nation wants to see his taxes but only ~.09% of the population have signed the petition, that is a whole lot of people with this concern and no I don't think that is the case.  I think the majority of people don't care or care but not enough to do anything which is pretty much the same as not caring.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

Have you ever taken a statistics course? Do you understand what sampling is and how it functions? 

This is perhaps my least favorite slogan to come out of the election cycle. A delightfully compact opt-out in the face of reason, logic and statistics.

Yes.  Several in fact.  I also haven't studied the poll he referred to but I am always skeptical of polls.  One, Hillary is a good example of their flaws whether you like it or not.  Two, the news and politicians have shown I can either find a poll to say whatever I want or take an existing poll and manipulate the results to say what I want.

edit:  want to review the poll that says we should bomb Agrabah?

10 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

If, supposably, 74% of the nation wants to see his taxes but only ~.09% of the population have signed the petition, that is a whole lot of people with this concern and no I don't think that is the case.  I think the majority of people don't care or care but not enough to do anything which is pretty much the same as not caring.

Your whole argument regarding the petition is based on the idiotic assumption that the entire population - every man, woman and child in America - is fully aware of the We The People Web site, has logged on or otherwise considered the question, and has made a decision whether or not to sign.  Do you really believe that? As for your other argument...

Grrr. Polls. Me no like polls when they say bad news. Grrr. 

As it stands, all evidence points to a large segment of the population agreeing that Trump should release his taxes.  The level and quality of your arguments against the evidence would make Kelly Ann Conway proud. 

The rules of the Web the People web site state that any petition receiving the threshold number of votes merits a response from the White House.  This particular petition has receive three times the required signatures in less than a week. It's just one effort to hold Trump accountable for a promise made many times.

I will be curious to see how this White House responds. Act? Explain why not? Ignore? Drop the web site? 

As someone who was more pro trump than pro hillary, I really think Trump should release his tax info. 

I'm sure it'll be damaging because we'll either see: 1.) Massive tax code manipulation 2.) Trump isn't as rich as he pretends to be 3.) Well see everywhere he has his hand in

However, he said he would and now he's lying about it because it doesn't benefit him. Any justification doesn't matter. 

That's a dangerous and not all too unexpected precedent at least from my point of view. 

Well, FDR brought back this country from the brink of total disaster so I think he deserves a break on the tax return information, plus he knew and performed service to the country (no excuse for internment of Japanese American citizens).

That's a far cry from what Trump's doing, turning US policies into his personal cash register.

Archived