Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are people not outraged over Trump not releasing his taxes!!!?

boobiemiles

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Well, FDR brought back this country from the brink of total disaster so I think he deserves a break on the tax return information, plus he knew and performed service to the country (no excuse for internment of Japanese American citizens).

That's a far cry from what Trump's doing, turning US policies into his personal cash register.

THIS is partisan hack job. Because you justify why your guy did/didn't do something it's ok, but this other guy over here, he's bad and him doing /not doing that same thing is EVIL. 

Look, if tax returns are an unwritten rule that's great. You can't DEMAND someone follow unwritten rules and then throw temper tantrums when they don't follow them. If you want tax returns, codify that into law. 

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Look, if tax returns are an unwritten rule that's great. You can't DEMAND someone follow unwritten rules and then throw temper tantrums when they don't follow them. If you want tax returns, codify that into law. 

How about when they say they will and then don't...over and over.

14 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

THIS is partisan hack job. Because you justify why your guy did/didn't do something it's ok, but this other guy over here, he's bad and him doing /not doing that same thing is EVIL. 

He's violating the "spirit" of the law.

17 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

FDR ran for 4 Presidential elections and never released his returns while in office.

http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns

Did Roosevelt promise to release his returns and then renege on that promise?

And was Presidents releasing their returns even a thing back then? The 16th amendment establishing the income tax was ratified in 1913. No President before FDR released his returns either. Truman did, Eisenhower apparently didn't, and neither did JFK or LBJ (going by the linked Web site.)

But the fact is that every POTUS since Nixon did so. Until Trump.

BTW, FDR's presidential library eventually released his tax returns.

46 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Geez, get a grip.

27 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Did Roosevelt promise to release his returns and then renege on that promise?

And was Presidents releasing their returns even a thing back then? The 16th amendment establishing the income tax was ratified in 1913. No President before FDR released his returns either. Truman did, Eisenhower apparently didn't, and neither did LBJ.

But the fact is that every POTUS since Nixon did so. Until Trump.

BTW, FDR's presidential library eventually released his tax returns.

Who knows... no different than any other time a president reneges on a promise. Like tax cuts (Bush Sr.), or rebates.

Presidents before FDR were exempt from income tax.

Maybe in the future we'll see his tax returns displayed in the Trump library.

http://www.talk40.com/single-post/2016/09/28/Do-Tax-Returns-Matter-In-Presidential-Elections

So, did a search for Public Polling Policy, because Rachel Maddow showed their just released data about various issues (among them - American favorability towards Russia, Putin, Trump) including the release of Trump's tax returns*.  Found an article on Daily Kos (bear with me) in which Nate Cohn talks about PPP and "herding".  Anyway, my point is that when I clicked on it (because it was Cohn), a popup appeared regarding the petition.  

* For the record, favorability numbers were quite low, particularly for Russia/Putin... which gives me a sliver of peace

15 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Trump is the first GOP nominee in the last 10 to not release his tax returns. 

At what point does meeting "tradition" or meeting "expectation" become precedent?

42 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I wonder where is ranks signature wise in all of the We the People White House petition history? 

I looked around but couldn't find that info.  It would be interesting to know.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Also known as 0.11% (or just over one tenth of one percent) of the population.

EDIT: or 0.5% (or just over half of one percent) of the people that voted for Hillary.

Why are you compelled to continue with your failed attempt to minimize how a large segment of the people view this issue?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Also known as 0.11% (or just over one tenth of one percent) of the population.

EDIT: or 0.5% (or just over half of one percent) of the people that voted for Hillary.

The amount of signatures needed is over the required amount. Adding on seems kind of pointless to most people. Your point about the % of the population doesn't mean jack ****. These tax returns won't be released unless they're leaked or some type of court order to release them and if that were to happen DT would just stall and hold it up in ligation.  

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

Trump is the first GOP nominee in the last 10 to not release his tax returns. 

At what point does meeting "tradition" or meeting "expectation" become precedent?

I really don't care for the man. He has done a great number of things just since inauguration day that are of far greater importance than his taxes. Precedent is great, for the SCOTUS. Precedent here is just an unwritten rule. It isn't required, no matter how many consecutive nominees have done it. He is under no obligation to do so. I hate unwritten rules, it's one of my pet peeves. That is the only reason I defend Trump on this. If Hillary or Bernie had refused to release theirs, I would defend them too. I find unwritten rules to be stupid - if you want something to be a rule, make it a rule.

My personal feelings on the matter are that the IRS should release summary information on each candidate. Make part of the application process signing a release for the IRS to release summary information. 

1 hour ago, mrcunning15 said:

The amount of signatures needed is over the required amount. Adding on seems kind of pointless to most people. Your point about the % of the population doesn't mean jack ****. These tax returns won't be released unless they're leaked or some type of court order to release them and if that were to happen DT would just stall and hold it up in ligation.  

True...when I first saw the petition it was already over the 100k minimum and decided I didn't need to sign. 

A few days later I said "**** it" and signed it anyways lol

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Why are you compelled to continue with your failed attempt to minimize how a large segment of the people view this issue?

Why are you compelled to continue with your failed attempt to minimize how a large segment  show how small a percentage of the people view this issue?

I could ask a similar question of you.  I would post the new percentage but your change in number didn't even register as a percentage of population.

2 hours ago, mrcunning15 said:

Your first 3 sentences are your opinion and you are welcome to them.  The last statement is something I believe to be true also.  Which is why I believe the number of people that sign it doesn't mean jack **** either.

Trump should not be able to enact any policy until we see his business holdings. He is proposing radical reform.  We need to know he is doing it solely for America's best interest.  I am tired of seeing Spicer say stuff and run when people ask questions.  What type of people are these?  I mean where I come from you are held accountable. If you can't handle your responsibilities then your fired.  A man that challenged everybody else integrity is showing very little.  And I am ashamed the people in the GoP are not holding him accountable.   

10 minutes ago, boobiemiles said:

Trump should not be able to enact any policy until we see his business holdings. He is proposing radical reform.  We need to know he is doing it solely for America's best interest.  I am tired of seeing Spicer say stuff and run when people ask questions.  What type of people are these?  I mean where I come from you are held accountable. If you can't handle your responsibilities then your fired.  A man that challenged everybody else integrity is showing very little.  And I am ashamed the people in the GoP are not holding him accountable.   

Trump is the President. The President gets to certain things, whether you (or anyone else) like it. Obama had a quote:

Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – President Obama to House Republican Whip Eric Cantor, January 23, 2009.
Read more: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/08/13/too_bad_obama_didnt_follow_his_own_advice_123650.html#ixzz4WuJEO11b 

Elections do, in fact, have consequences. In a befuddling development, the GOP now controls the White House, Congress, and the Senate. 

18 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Trump is the President. The President gets to certain things, whether you (or anyone else) like it. Obama had a quote:

Elections do, in fact, have consequences. In a befuddling development, the GOP now controls the White House, Congress, and the Senate. 

As much as I hate it this time around, the quote holds true.  I know Hillary Clinton was a flawed candidate, but the low turnout is why we are here today.  Too many people sat at home because "Hillary = Trump" LOL......yeah right.

25 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

You are trying to comparer Obama presidency to this.  I am saying why aren't we holding someone in the Oval office to the highest standard.  We did with Obama. Why not Trump?  This is not about politics.  I am an independent. I am saying all these policies can have a drastic effect on your life.  Look at the financial crisis.  It didn't matter your party affiliation we all got screwed.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

As much as I hate it this time around, the quote holds true.  I know Hillary Clinton was a flawed candidate, but the low turnout is why we are here today.  Too many people sat at home because "Hillary = Trump" LOL......yeah right.

What are you talking about?  I am not talking about elections.  I am talking about transparency.  Why does this have be about democrats republicans.  Trump is neither.  So going down this yellow brick road to foreseeable economic disaster, shouldn't we know if Trump has a conflict of interest. 

53 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

And SCOTUS

which is likely the most important one.

The democrats got their ass kicked, and this was not the election to have that happen... (If you're a democrat, or you just disagree with the GOP's ideas especially re: SCOTUS)

Archived