Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The (only!) official ES all things Kirk Cousins should we shouldn't we off-season thread.

Ron78

58 minutes ago, ncr2h said:

Just 3 players in NFL history have had multiple games with 4 fumbles:

1.  Mike Vick (115 career starts)

2.  The Butt Fumbler (72 career starts)

3.  Colt Mccoy (25 career starts)

What an ugly stat.

Fun fact, Kirk has two three-fumble games.  He is good at avoid sacks, but when he does get sacked, he coughs the ball up very easily: Career total is 65 sacks, 24 fumbles, 10 fumbles lost.

3 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

What an ugly stat.

Fun fact, Kirk has two three-fumble games.  He is good at avoid sacks, but when he does get sacked, he coughs the ball up very easily: Career total is 65 sacks, 24 fumbles, 10 fumbles lost.

Agreed.  I'd be interested to understand what the cause of that is.  I would think that, over a large enough sample size, QBs' sack-to-fumble ratios would pretty much even out.  Meaning, I would think that QB fumbles are pretty much directly correlated with the amount of sacks taken.  So guys like Kirk should have very few fumbles, whereas guys like McCoy would have a lot.

I think that holds true to an extent but there are clearly other factors that I would be interested to know.

9 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If we find ourselves without Cousins, I think you have to roll with Sudfeld. I don't know anything about him and certainly don't expect him to be great, but at least you haven't already seen what he can do in an extended audition. We know what we have in Colt. At least with Sudfeld there would be the slight chance that he's a diamond in the rough. 

Maybe your right but either would be a stopgap until we drafted the "FUTURE". But like you said we won't know Suds ability until he plays some games.  

37 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Maybe your right but either would be a stopgap until we drafted the "FUTURE". But like you said we won't know Suds ability until he plays some games.  

We might get to see a lot more of him in preseason this year. I doubt Kirk will play much, and I don't think Colt will either, they know what they have with both players. And, it will be nice to see how much, if any he has progressed with a year in the pros.

2 hours ago, ncr2h said:

Agreed.  I'd be interested to understand what the cause of that is.  I would think that, over a large enough sample size, QBs' sack-to-fumble ratios would pretty much even out.  Meaning, I would think that QB fumbles are pretty much directly correlated with the amount of sacks taken.  So guys like Kirk should have very few fumbles, whereas guys like McCoy would have a lot.

I think that holds true to an extent but there are clearly other factors that I would be interested to know.

Could be hes so used to having protection, or getting rid of the ball quickly and not taking sacks, that it just takes him by surprise.  Or maybe hes so focused on looking down field, which is very helpful when passing, but not when you dont notice the hit.  Id be curious to see the sack-to-fumble ratio on guys who dont get sacked much, versus those who do.

12 hours ago, ncr2h said:

Guarantee part of it for Kirk is that hes trying to get the ball out at the last second...standing in the pocket.....and doesn't get the grip on it like he was preparing to run/get hit. He is looking down field almost all the time. 

Lots of the same questions with the same answers that you would want from your QB.

Excited to work with the new recievers. 

Lots of Pryor talk.

when asked about if he expects a long term contract to get done. Lots of shoulder shrugging and acting like he doesn't care because contracts are becoming year to year. Noted osweller deal and the trade.

probably not the best re cap.

My take from it is that be is ready to go and just waiting on a contract but doesn't care either way. The Redskins are the ones hurting themselves by not getting a ltd deal done.

18 hours ago, ncr2h said:

Just 3 players in NFL history have had multiple games with 4 fumbles:

1.  Mike Vick (115 career starts)

2.  The Butt Fumbler (72 career starts)

3.  Colt Mccoy (25 career starts)

He fumbles at an extraordinary rate due to his excessive sack-taking, which makes it very difficult to win games with him.  Even worse, it makes him more injury prone, which is the last thing you want to hear about your veteran backup.

I'm surprised Mark Rypien's not on that list.  He was comical with the ball his first few years.

Speaking Tuesday, Kirk Cousins said the next move was up to the Redskins in long-term talks.

"The ball's in the team's court," Cousins said. "I'm under contract, (and I'm) comfortable playing under the contract I signed." Cousins also said he's been assured he won't be traded. According to multiple reports, the Redskins have yet to offer Cousins more than $20 million per season. It signals a lack of seriousness in the current quarterback market. Cousins seems legitimately content to once again bet on himself and head to free agency in 2018.

21 hours ago, Morneblade said:

We might get to see a lot more of him in preseason this year. I doubt Kirk will play much, and I don't think Colt will either, they know what they have with both players. And, it will be nice to see how much, if any he has progressed with a year in the pros.

I hope Jay learned his lesson about sitting starters too long in Preseason.  That was a major factor contributing to the slow start they had last year.  Kirk included. 

On 4/10/2017 at 11:52 PM, Peregrine said:

Could be hes so used to having protection, or getting rid of the ball quickly and not taking sacks, that it just takes him by surprise.  Or maybe hes so focused on looking down field, which is very helpful when passing, but not when you dont notice the hit.  Id be curious to see the sack-to-fumble ratio on guys who dont get sacked much, versus those who do.

That's what I would think too. He likely doesn't take sacks because he's focused on making reads and getting rid of the ball, not the rush. The downside to that is less ball security when you're being hit. 

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I really don't understand the logic behind offering him 20 mil a year so that you can save that extra 5 mil that he wants just so you can spend it on him through the franchise tag lol. 

Got damn, man. 

It's called negotiating. You don't start at market value, you start below and work your way to a middle ground. 

The difference between 20 million each year and 24-25 million is a starter on the roster. And it's very likely on a LTD the first year's cap hit will be below the current tag number.

Guaranteed Kirk's side has asked for above market value, as they should. Both sides will end up meeting somehwere in the fair market value range. 

30 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Guaranteed Kirk's side has asked for above market value, as they should. Both sides will end up meeting somehwere in the fair market value range. 

Last year Kirk's final offer was below market value, and the team still didn't pick it up.

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Still can't see any reason for Kirks team to drop their demands at all. They've got us nailed.

At least until the draft.  The picture changes dramatically if the 49ers take a QB though because as of right now they are the only team that can afford the contract he wants and are thought to be willing to sign him.  The Browns might but does Kirk think he would be better off there?  I have to doubt it.  Kirk's camp is continuing to bet the draft strengthens their position and Bruce is betting it won't, for our sake I hope Bruce is right.

Archived