Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

18 minutes ago, Whiskeypeet said:

Why not?  No room on roster?

He's not going to be a vet-min + incentives type of signing, and while we can create cap room it would still be really tight even if we could pull it off. I don't know if there IS room, if Doctson is truly healthy. Seems like it would be an irresponsible allocation of resources for yet another WR2 (he's played the WR1 role but I don't think it's his prototypical fit) type who has injury concerns the past couple years.

• To add on to what other have said -
  •  
  • If Crowder were to only play in the slot, that would leave one (or a combo) of Doctson, Quick, Harris, Grant and Davis as your number 2 receiver.  Maclin is obviously more proven than those guys, so I could understand the temptation.  I'd rather give those guys a shot though as they are younger, cheaper, and there's some intriguing potential amongst them.  

The real kicker though is Crowder.  Per PFF (pretty sure it was them) he was awesome at gaining separation when he was played outside.  So, if coaches split Crowder wide in 2 receiver sets, Maclin becomes the 3rd option... which makes the expense that much more... prohibitive.

If Doctson lives up to his billing, well then Maclin becomes the 4th option, which is where ST play becomes a factor.  Much rather a younger, healthier Grant/Davis/Harris on the back end of the roster for ST reasons.  

Reid and the Chiefs probably would have liked to keep  Maclin. They gained some much needed cap space by cutting him after June 1st. He is definitely a 2 or 3 now after the injuries.  I don't see the need for him, would rather go with the young kids receiving. 

Bowman had been one of my favorite players prior to his first of two major injuries over the past three years. I have concerns with his speed and cutting abilities right now.   who knows, maybe he could be brought in fairly inexpensive for a shot but not so sure.  I would have been much happier with Bowmans replacement Foster :).     

19 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Repetition I know but the last time we signed an Andy Reid reject we got a washed up QB with no work ethic and a colossal ego. 

I was about to remind you of DJAX but nah he was a chip Kelly reject...you're right, the last Andy Reid reject we had was  McNabb. 

9 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I see some people getting a little excited about Bowman...wouldn't he only be available because he destroyed his knee and isn't the same guy? 

Probably.  I actually don't expect the Niners to cut him yet, Lynch is a defensive guy and it's doubtful they get rid of their leader on defense right off the bat so it's probably a moot point anyways.  

I'm just still wishing we could upgrade the LB position (again) before TC, and Bowman seemed like he might be the last slice of pizza.  

I have very rarely been in the camp of bringing in late releases. But I just read that the Jets released LB David Harris over contract dispute. They wanted him to take a pay cut and he would not. I know he is 33, but he led the team in tackles last year and has been nothing but a professional. He would be a 2 or 3 year bridge and a great lockerroom presence for the young guys.

I hope they at least look at him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813476/article/new-york-jets-cut-david-harris-after-10-nfl-seasons

If there aren't any serious problems with Harris, I wouldn't be unhappy with a trial. Even if he is 33 years old, it's only a year older than London Fletcher was when he first signed. Can Harris play as Mike?

If they are saying Harris was only let go for refusing a pay cut, I don't think he will be happy with the current market for a slowing 33 year old.  A few days ago the Jets brought back ILB Demario Thomas so they were probably preparing for the cut. 

... and this is why you're better off waiting until late in FA to bring in complimentary pieces at a discounted rate vs jumping in early and overpaying for a position:

2017 WR FAs

avg per year

T.Pryor - 6

A.Jeffrey 1y - 9.5

Garcon- 9.5

Jackson -11

Britt 8.1

marshall 5.5

patterson 4.2

smith 5

stills 8

woods 6.8

Maclin and Decker both available and will most likely fetch <5mil deals and are better then at least half the Wrs on the above list. 

20 minutes ago, oraphus said:

... and this is why you're better off waiting until late in FA to bring in complimentary pieces at a discounted rate vs jumping in early and overpaying for a position:

2017 WR FAs

avg per year

T.Pryor - 6

A.Jeffrey 1y - 9.5

Garcon- 9.5

Jackson -11

Britt 8.1

marshall 5.5

patterson 4.2

smith 5

stills 8

woods 6.8

Maclin and Decker both available and will most likely fetch <5mil deals and are better then at least half the Wrs on the above list. 

trying to build your team based on releases that might never happen is a lousy idea, to put it nicely

One thing I want the skins to get better at is at least pretending to value their players. Matt Jones is seemingly going to get released. Here is a 3rd round pick who has shown "some" ability in actual NFL games and yet we won't/can't trade him but instead will release him for nothing. 

At the very least you'd think we'd have been to get a 7th round pick for him but you could see it a mile away that we don't want him and will probably release him. I know he sucks but not even a 7th rounder?

20 minutes ago, dyst said:

One thing I want the skins to get better at is at least pretending to value their players. Matt Jones is seemingly going to get released. Here is a 3rd round pick who has shown "some" ability in actual NFL games and yet we won't/can't trade him but instead will release him for nothing. 

At the very least you'd think we'd have been to get a 7th round pick for him but you could see it a mile away that we don't want him and will probably release him. I know he sucks but not even a 7th rounder?

it'd be nice.  But we left him inactive for the last half the season, even bringing in another RB .  That's the first hint we don't want him.  Then we draft an RB in the fourth well before people start talking about trading sevenths unless it's part of a bigger deal.  So, you know making a functioning team kind of showed we didn't want him anymore

Archived