Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

31 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

its going to come down who can play Special Teams.  A few may clear waivers and we can stash them in the PS.  We have the same situation with the RBs.  if Marshal and Brown flash in preseason what do you do?  We know Johns is gone but do we carry 4 or 3 RBs?

Perine, CT and Kelley are our RBs.

Yeah I don't see a reason to keep 4 RBs now that we ditched the FB position, unless one of the top 3 is injured to start the season (but not injured enough for PUP or IR). Brown can go back on the PS and Marshall isn't good. We have way too many WRs and TEs to fit on the roster to hold more than 3 RBs, we can sign that position off the street easily if we have to. 

19 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yeah I don't see a reason to keep 4 RBs now that we ditched the FB position, unless one of the top 3 is injured to start the season (but not injured enough for PUP or IR). Brown can go back on the PS and Marshall isn't good. We have way too many WRs and TEs to fit on the roster to hold more than 3 RBs, we can sign that position off the street easily if we have to. 

Only way I could see them keeping 4 backs is if Marshall really shines.  Serious doubts that happens (in fact, I am almost certain it doesn't), but he's different enough from the other 3 that I think it would make for a tough decision (in that scenario).  

On 6/21/2017 at 5:29 AM, goskins10 said:

Just a procedural correction - they do not have to designate someone to return in advance anymore. This means if they have several players on IR they can bring the one back that heals faster or is needed at the time, instead of having to make that decision when they go on IR.

I also believe starting this year, they can actually bring 2 players back from IR.  

Oh even better. I knew they upped it from 1 to 2 players but thats awesome they don't even have to designate anymore. I mean it only makes sense, injuries arent black and white and rehab times are even harder to guarantee.

Again, I think D.Hall is the perfect candidate for one of those IR spots to start the season. I initially thought Galette would start the season there but by all accounts from Mini-Camp & OTAs he's well ahead of schedule. If Murphy wasn't serving his suspension I think they could have still stashed him on IR to see what we have in some younger/deveopmental guys but with Trent saving a roster spot for 4 games it allows them to do effectively the same thing. Just hope Junior doesn't push too hard again and suffer a setback, I think this is his last shot and I'm pulling for the guy. 

I think we will see a lot of teams throughout the league use the 2 spots on IR strategically like this. This is the first year the Skins could really benefit from an expanded practice squad too. Hopefully thats the next rule change implemented next offseason. Some quality talent of ours is gonna fall victim to the numbers game and will be snagged up quickly, IMHO. 

Zachary Orr trying to make a comeback

Zachary Orr is making a comeback, after initially retiring because of neck issues.

According to Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network, the Ravens linebacker has received new word from doctors that the neck and spine condition which caused him to call it a career in January isn’t as bad as initially thought, and that he can continue to play.

Orr was the Ravens leading tackler last year, and they were talking to him about a contract extension at the time he retired.

He was also a restricted free agent, and the Ravens didn’t offer him a tender (which made sense considering they thought he was retired). As such, he’s now an unrestricted free agent, free to talk to anyone.

Teams will want to do their own (thorough) checks to make sure they’re comfortable with his condition, but Orr immediately becomes one of the most interesting names on the market at the moment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/28/zachary-orr-trying-to-make-a-comeback/

7 minutes ago, CTskin said:

He was unbelievable last year. Undrafted, VA kid, I'm rooting for him... I just hate that the Ravens were the team to find this diamond in the rough.

He's a free agent now, able to sign with any team. We should at least bring him in for a look and medical check

50 minutes ago, carex said:

I bet the Ravens, if they're interested, will appeal this thing of hm being a free agent, saying he was retired and you can't use retirement to escape contract rules

You should at least have to sit out a year.

I'm surprised he's a free agent. Just thinking back to Marshawn's return and how the Seahawks still retained his rights. 

Either way, if he's a free agent we should ABSOLUTELY try to land him. As a VA kid, I assume we'd have a real shot. Although, the sad truth is that he would just be another great talent to sit behind Compton...

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

I'm surprised he's a free agent. Just thinking back to Marshawn's return and how the Seahawks still retained his rights. 

Either way, if he's a free agent we should ABSOLUTELY try to land him. As a VA kid, I assume we'd have a real shot. Although, the sad truth is that he would just be another great talent to sit behind Compton...

Mashawn retired from a contract with time left, this was an expiring contract

8 hours ago, carex said:

I bet the Ravens, if they're interested, will appeal this thing of hm being a free agent, saying he was retired and you can't use retirement to escape contract rules

They would lose. They had to offer him a tender. Had they done so, when coming back from retirement he would have come back as a restricted FA. Since they did not offer him a tender, he is an unrestricted FA. It would be like that for anyone UFA not offered a tender. Those are the rules. May not be fair, but it is the rules.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

They would lose. They had to offer him a tender. Had they done so, when coming back from retirement he would have come back as a restricted FA. Since they did not offer him a tender, he is an unrestricted FA. It would be like that for anyone UFA not offered a tender. Those are the rules. May not be fair, but it is the rules.

if those are the legit rules I foresee a wave of RFAs retiring citing burnout, health concerns, whatever, then unretiring after the tender period is done

• 3 weeks later...

That is a serious pot, lol.

I'm not nearly as confident as the author of that piece, but I do have a tad bit of optimism with the group we have.  Some of that is due to the blend of experience and youth (and the number of guys competing for the spot), but probably more is due to the coaching changes.  Not that I think Tomsula, and Manusky more generally, can turn water into wine... but I think they are better than what we've had and they have a bit more to work with.  

Gonna be an interesting season IMO.  

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Just for you @Morneblade  Seems the author and the teams DC disagree there is not a decent NT on the team.

http://cover32.com/2017/07/15/redskins-tasked-selecting-starting-nose-tackle/

When you write a article on the NT position and fail to mention even ONE GUY THAT IS A NOSE TACKLE, you have failed miserably. When you mention McClain, Allen and McGee for the position, you are an idiot. He should stick to doing something that does not expose his complete and utter ignorance on the subject. Like maybe intermediate basket weaving. To the author:

what you have said is dumb.jpg

I agree with the author.

It's too bad we aren't running a 4-3.   But I disagree as to why. We should because we once again won't have a nose.

We didn't ink one, nor draft one as Manusky said we would. We may have tried to create one like we did to Golston last year, We know how that turned out. You cannot just add 30 pounds to a player without risks.

Fortunately we are only in the 3-4 30% of the time. I wish it was more like 3% of the time. 

Going to a 43 puts an incredible amount of importance on the MLB.

We don't remotely have anything close to a MLB.

Then I assume Cravens moves to Will.

We just drafted a career 34 SAM.

Sure, the line will probably be better, sure, but we've finally done a decent actual job of dedicating ourselves to the 34.

But yeah, lets keep rehashing the 34/43 argument because some bartender with an internet writing assignment, yet doesnt know about the 3 guys we actually do have that might be our NT.

16 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Going to a 43 puts an incredible amount of importance on the MLB.

We don't remotely have anything close to a MLB.

Then I assume Cravens moves to Will.

We just drafted a career 34 SAM.

Sure, the line will probably be better, sure, but we've finally done a decent actual job of dedicating ourselves to the 34.

But yeah, lets keep rehashing the 34/43 argument because some bartender with an internet writing assignment, yet doesnt know about the 3 guys we actually do have that might be our NT.

Move Foster to MIKE (he was the starting MIKE in Tampa) and Brown to WILL. I think Anderson has played SAM before, but it's been awhile. Compton to ST. Done.

And before anyone says anything about Foster, he was the 10 ranked ILB in the league last year by PFF. He's better than everyone thinks he is.

Archived