Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

An underrated aspect of having McCoy on the roster is that he allows you to properly evaluate your depth in preseason. He gets a lot of time with guys who may one day get a lot of time with Kirk, and he may be physically limited but he knows the offense and he knows where the ball should be going on any given play. That's valuable when you don't want to risk your starter out there. 

I don't mind if they cut mccoy and if I were the skins management, I probably would. 

Sudfield has a lot more upside longterm and has had a year of grooming. Nothing wrong with throwing him into the fire should the situation present itself. 

We also have terelle pryor who could be the emergency qb. 

I understand if they keep mccoy though. He is a good guy and then coaches trust him. I don't think he'd be marketably better than sudfield in a backup situation. 

Sprinkle will not be left on the practice squad. This was an unusually strong tight end class and he will be snatched up by someone who missed out on the tight ends this year. For sure reed will be here. Davis played competently last year and his contract basically means he's making the roster. It's down to paul and carrier as to who draws the short end of the stick. Paul seems to have a penance for sticking around despite long odds. We'll see. 

Are you guys crazy? We have no idea what we have in Sudfield. Teams have had entire seasons crash and burn because they have nothing at backup QB, and ours is pretty reasonably priced and is a decent game manager when necessary. Having no solid backup QB so you can carry an extra player elsewhere is a total Madden move and doesn't make sense for most teams. Does no one remember decent Cowboys teams crashing and burning with no Romo? We aren't a rebuild anymore, I'm not willing to take that risk in order to squeeze one more developmental guy onto the roster. Every week and every potential W matters, even if Kirk were to only miss a couple weeks it could be devastating in the NFCE.

No matter which way you slice the roster this year, some talent is going to be sent packing. Be it from us running with 4 TEs, 4 RBs, etc.

On that note, Colt McCoy is more valuable than Paul, Carrier and Mack Brown. If they trim from a position group in order to keep 4 TEs or RBs, its not going to be QB. If Kirk has to miss a 4 or 6 game stretch, Colt could bat .500 and keep us in the hunt whereas I think the season would be over if the QB2 was Sudfeld. That alone is invaluable in todays NFL. Quality backups are hard to come by.

In regards to the TE position group, If we keep 4   I think the spot goes to Paul over Carrier if he returns to pre-injury form. The point made about Carrier being a Scot guy is worth noting. If Paul is a demon on teams in the preseason and no one is left to vouch for Carrier he will be sent packing. Its tough to give up on a guy we traded a pick for but I think Pauls versatility and vet presence gets the nod here.

As for the running backs, I'm not as high on the likelihood of us keeping 4 on the 53. Matt Jones is as good as gone and we must just be waiting for camp injuries to see if we can recoup a late rounder for him. Its the only reason him still being here makes sense. The only other question here is who still has practice squad eligibility. Are Mack and Marshall both eligible? Or was Mack active for too many games last year?

So happy with the amount of competition we have up and down the roster. Gonna be very interesting to see how it unfolds and who the inevitable surprises are. Definitely going to see our camp cuts picked up by other teams this year too. All good signs for the team as a whole.

8 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

if everything turns out the way we all hope, there is going to be a number squeeze issue and honestly if you have Cousins long term and your 2nd year QB is showing promise then its something to think about.  How many teams not named Browns carry 3 QBs on their active 53?

First, at $3M/yr McCoy is seriously cheap for a qualified back-up. He is not a starter but is a perfect back-up for this team. Veteran leadership and someone that can win a few games for you if Kirk somehow gets injured. No reason at all to go with an unproven Sudfield unless you had to - meaning both Kirk and Colt get injured.

I always felt like the idea that the Redskins were in a very small minority of teams that kept 3 QBs on the roster was a false narrative. But I wasn't absolutely sure so I looked when I saw this comment. 

Based on their final 2016 final 53 man roster, the teams carrying 3 QBs on the active 53 were: Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Texans, Jags, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Chiefs, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Panthers, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Redskins, Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks, and 49ers. That's 20 out of 32 teams that carry 3 QBs on the active 53 man roster. Notably that list includes teams like the Steelers and Packers who clearly have franchise QBs - both of which will be on the HOF when their careers are over.

The point is that with the increase in injuries, the higher level of awareness for concussions and the clear importance of QBs in the NFL, more teams are carrying 3 QBs. In fact the Redskins are in the majority.

17 minutes ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

Now people want to cut Colt McCoy? You guys are ****ing special.

But then we can keep a 4rth RB who will never be active, because even though when we cut him and nobody wanted him, after he went undrafted, he broke one great run against an awful defense in preseason last year and someone might swipe him.

My final 52.  I left Murphy off for suspension, and I left a roster spot open for that surprise cut of a great player, that we will sign.  Excuse my spelling, I did this from memory and can't remember how to spell some names.

IS my thinking flawed?  What would you change and why?

OFFENSE

QB

Cousins

McCoy

Sudfield

RB

Perrine

Kelly

Thompson

Mack

TE

Reed

Davis

Sprinkle

WR

Crowder

Pryor

Doctson

Davis

Quick

Grant

OL

Williams

Long

Roulier

Sherff

Moses

Nietske

Kuanadijo

Painter

DEFENSE

DL

Allen

McGee

Taylor

McClain

Iadonnis

Lanier

LB

Kerrigan

Galette

Smith

Anderson

Brown

Foster

Compton

Spaight

Bates

Nicholson

DB

Norman

Breeland

Sweringer

Cravens

Fuller

Moreau

Everett

Holsey

Hall

ST

Way

Hopkins

Sundberg

1 hour ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Sudfield

Perrine

Roulier

Sherff

Nietske

Kuanadijo

Iadonnis

Sweringer

I like that you just say **** Google and go for it.

EDIT: I just noticed that you mentioned the spelling at the beginning of your post.  Still...I respect it.

<STAFF EDIT, RULE 6, DONT CIRCUMVENT THE PROFANITY FILTERS, MEMBER WARNED>

LB

Kerrigan

Galette

Smith

Anderson

Brown

Foster

Compton

Spaight

Bates

Holsey

DB

Norman

Breeland

Sweringer

Cravens

Fuller

Moreau

Everett

Nicholson

Hall

I think its time to cut the cord with Hall,

I think he will be overtook by a UDFA, or a player with more experience in the position. (Fish Smithson)

My final 52.  I left Murphy off for suspension, and I left a roster spot open for that surprise cut of a great player, that we will sign.  Excuse my spelling, I did this from memory and can't remember how to spell some names.

IS my thinking flawed?  What would you change and why?

Cut Grant, keep Harris

Holsey is a slot CB, not a LB

Probably go with 4 TE's not 3.

48 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

yeah, my bad. Nicholson at LB and Holsey at DB

I don't think Harris makes it over Grant.

Are you thinking of Harvey-Clemons at LB?

Nicholson looks to be in the SS mix and Holsey at corner.  

I'm thinking Davis and Quick might compete for the last wr spot after Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Grant and Harris.   

Personally, I don't think we keep 4 backs - can always pick up Brown or Marshall later (or put them on the PS).  

Cutting Lauvao would be a good move in my book, but I don't know if the staff sees it that way.  

*Sigh*...Yet another article talking about organizational dysfunction.....on the Seahawks lol

Richard Sherman wanted to send a message to Russell Wilson. It was June 2014, and it'd been a testy day at Seahawks minicamp, with defensive players hitting the offense in a non-contact practice. On one play, Sherman had ripped off the helmet and jersey of receiver Phil Bates, igniting a brawl, the cornerback's dreadlocks flopping in the air. Both sides cleared. Pharrell Williams' "Happy" blasted from the loudspeakers. But the defense, a ruthless and crazy and awesome bunch that less than five months earlier had delivered the franchise its first Super Bowl victory, was just getting started.

Sherman is famous for loving practice, for treating it like a game, for rarely missing it even when injured. For him, it's where a mystical bond is forged and a win on Sunday becomes an almost accidental byproduct. And so, a few plays later, when Sherman picked off Wilson, it wasn't enough just to make a great play. He wanted to get inside Wilson's head, to remind the young Pro Bowler that despite his Super Bowl fame -- and endorsements that many on the defense felt they deserved -- Sherman still owned his ass.

According to witnesses, Sherman threw the ball back to Wilson and yelled, "You f---ing suck!" Another fight broke out. Sherman was cussing and yelling; Wilson seemed stunned. Pete Carroll stopped practice and would later hold a series of meetings to remind the players they needed to build each other up, not tear each other down -- and that they needed to support their quarterback, further pissing off a defense that already thought the head coach went out of his way to protect him.

[...]It's been a tense offseason. In mid-March, word emerged that Sherman was available for a trade. Normally, a team would try to squash such a bombshell involving an iconic player beloved by fans. But general manager John Schneider later admitted the team was taking calls. And Carroll had been unusually blunt, saying at the league meetings that many of Sherman's issues -- he seemed to go off the rails at the end of last season as his anger boiled over -- were "self-inflicted."

Whole crapload more at the article: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19446657/seattle-seahawks-cornerback-richard-sherman-let-go-problem-nfl-2017

If nothing else, we may have insight on why the Seahawks are ok parting way with Sherman lol...

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Are you thinking of Harvey-Clemons at LB?

Nicholson looks to be in the SS mix and Holsey at corner.  

I'm thinking Davis and Quick might compete for the last wr spot after Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Grant and Harris.   

Personally, I don't think we keep 4 backs - can always pick up Brown or Marshall later (or put them on the PS).  

Cutting Lauvao would be a good move in my book, but I don't know if the staff sees it that way.  

Yes. That's who i meant. Put him as the 53rd for now.

Grand over Harris.  Wow I just don't see it.  Fish also right now I would say he is in place of Hall.

I started the conversation of cutting McCoy.  No I don't want him cut, but if a couple of out of the blue players show a lot and Cousins is here LT then I think there is a very slight possibility it happens.  Or hell maybe Sudfeld doesn't show any improvement in camp and preseason so he gets cut.  Don't know but right now with the possible talent we have in TE, RB, DB and WR I don't know how you fit them all in or protect them in PS.

I don't think there's any way Colt gets cut. Personally, I don't feel Sudfeld is particularly good anyhow. So that would be the prime reason, McCoy is a far better back-up. But even if you don't feel that way, remember that NFL teams traditionally carry 3 QBs on the roster. And by, "on the roster", I do include practice squad spots. It is technically possible to cut McCoy, keep Sudfeld on the 53, and then sign someone to the practice squad. But if the team was giving serious consideration to doing that, they'd have more than 3 QBs on the 90 man roster. But the team brought in no one. No draft pick. No UDFA. No future/reserve contract. Barring injury, it seems the team is riding with Cousins/McCoy/Sudfled in some some combination. And only Sudfeld has PS eligibility.

22 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Agreed.  How do you keep Grant over Harris?

The same coaching staff has been developing Grant, and in fact, has been doing it longer than Harris. 

Gruden likes Grant. Maybe I'm wrong and Grant gets cut.

And I'll add, I don't like Ryan Grant, at all. I just think he makes the team, because the coaching staff likes him.

28 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

The same coaching staff has been developing Grant, and in fact, has been doing it longer than Harris. 

Gruden likes Grant. Maybe I'm wrong and Grant gets cut.

And I'll add, I don't like Ryan Grant, at all. I just think he makes the team, because the coaching staff likes him.

At that point in the WR depth chart, special teams play is key in making the roster. Hopefully Harris can prove to be as much an asset on ST because I believe he'd definitely the more talented receiver.

Archived