Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

If McCoy is cut late enough in the preseason, what are his chances of him remaining unsigned?  It is possible he is released and if we end up needing him back, he will be available.  He is a great back up for us because he knows our system.  For other teams, he is an okay at best as a backup.  I could see him still being unsigned half way through the season. 

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

I don't think there's any way Colt gets cut. Personally, I don't feel Sudfeld is particularly good anyhow. So that would be the prime reason, McCoy is a far better back-up. But even if you don't feel that way, remember that NFL teams traditionally carry 3 QBs on the roster. And by, "on the roster", I do include practice squad spots. It is technically possible to cut McCoy, keep Sudfeld on the 53, and then sign someone to the practice squad. But if the team was giving serious consideration to doing that, they'd have more than 3 QBs on the 90 man roster. But the team brought in no one. No draft pick. No UDFA. No future/reserve contract. Barring injury, it seems the team is riding with Cousins/McCoy/Sudfled in some some combination. And only Sudfeld has PS eligibility.

I don't think the team would want to risk losing Sudfeld by placing him on the PS. If a QB on any team gets injured during the season, the first thing that happens is PS theft. Sudfeld is pretty much the only insurance we have should Kirk walk next year, and if he shows any promise at all this year, he won't survive the PS as a Redskin.

Justin Gilbert just nailed with 4 game suspension. 

Its nice to think our depth chart  is at a point where I don't think we could even justify giving him a vet min flier. 

Much different than where we've been he past few years. 

24 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

If McCoy is cut late enough in the preseason, what are his chances of him remaining unsigned?  It is possible he is released and if we end up needing him back, he will be available.  He is a great back up for us because he knows our system.  For other teams, he is an okay at best as a backup.  I could see him still being unsigned half way through the season. 

Both Colts arms will need to fall off during training camp for him to be cut. One will not be enough. It will need to be both.

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

Slim to none. Have you seen how QB-needy the league is right now? Hes better than half of the backup QBs in the league, and even more valuable in Jays system. I wouldn't be surprised if he would start on a few teams after a training camp competition or at least as a bridge to a rookie QB. 

4 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

The same coaching staff has been developing Grant, and in fact, has been doing it longer than Harris. 

Gruden likes Grant. Maybe I'm wrong and Grant gets cut.

And I'll add, I don't like Ryan Grant, at all. I just think he makes the team, because the coaching staff likes him.

Agreed.       That's what sucks.   I like Harris and think he has a lot more upside, and cheaper, than Grant....and he's tall ;)

7 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

The same coaching staff has been developing Grant, and in fact, has been doing it longer than Harris. 

Gruden likes Grant. Maybe I'm wrong and Grant gets cut.

And I'll add, I don't like Ryan Grant, at all. I just think he makes the team, because the coaching staff likes him.

So? He's developed into nothing. Decent ST guy, terrible WR. Falls down and drops balls. The only thing he does is block, and Harris does that too. I don't see any way he makes the team.

Not shocking that the incumbents took the majority of 1st team reps in OTAs to demonstrate the scheme to the new additions/rookies that in some cases will be starting over them at certain positions. 

It also was our first glance at getting a feel for where our NTs are at in their development and how the coaches feel about their abilities or at the least their grasp of the defense/scheme. It will definitely make me keep a closer eye on Mbu in training camp and preseason seeing that he was the first up at NT in OTAs.

I think it will be between Mbu and Ioannidis as far as the holdovers with Phil Taylor having an outside shot being the more physically gifted nose in the room. Hes definitely the prototype and will be getting plenty of long looks there in this offseason. Wild card is Ondre Pipkins but unless he dominates randomly as a rookie which is rare for the position, I think hes a likely candidate to be stashed on the PS and brought along slowly. Like the reports of him getting consistent push, but its obviously very early. 

Fingers crossed because if we can have some luck roll in our favor at NT I think the rest of the question mark positions will work themselves out with some healthy competition in camp. Get the corner depth chart settled (specifically who mans the slot), maybe have Spaight live up to his draft slot and unseat Compton at the Mike, Swearinger and Cravens gel quickly on the backend, etc. If all goes ideally, the defense could really surprise some people.

And lets be honest, we only need a top 15-20 defense to be competitive with this offense. I think this will be the first year I make the trip to Richmond to watch the battles in person im so excited. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

So? He's developed into nothing. Decent ST guy, terrible WR. Falls down and drops balls. The only thing he does is block, and Harris does that too. I don't see any way he makes the team.

I will say, I think Grant gets it a little hard in regards to the falling down thing. I think it was just the terrible timing of the one fall (in such a crucial moment) that gets him painted unjustly as a receiver who falls down "all the time". I honestly can only think of one other time he has fallen down but I could be wrong.

I do agree that this year we have better talent though. I'd be upset if Mo Harris gets cut or the rookie Davis doesnt clear waivers to make it to the practice squad because of the coaches love affair with Grant. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I agree if it comes down to Grant or Davis or Harris I would prefer letting grant go but let's not get carried away. Drops passes?

He had 1 drop in 19 targets last year. the year before he had 2 in 42 targets and 0 in 15 targets in his rookie year. That's a total of 3 drops in 76 targets over 3 yrs. That's not exactly an epidemic. He had the really bad fall that cost the Atl gm at a rookie. I can remember 1 other fall. But as a 5th or 6th WR, that's going to happen. Also, he is a very good STs contributor.

Last, if the coaches keep him there has to be reasons that we do not see. The coaches get to see him in OTAs, TC and have all the film on him since day one. While he is not my favorite, if they keep him it's not the end of the world.

I actually believe they will keep 7 WRs so he makes it - Pryor, Doctson, Crowder, Quick, Davis, Harris, Grant. There are too many new parts to go with 6, not to mention as much as I am a huge fan of Doctson and believe he will be a star, he is still basically a rookie.  

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Seems like 7 WRs would be really, really hard to swing. 

Maybe, but that's their problem not mine...  lol  JK

Seriously, I have not looked at what the 53 might look like yet so I am talking in isolation. I may change my mind once I look closer. I know 7 is a lot but Jay's likes his WRs. I may go back and see if they ever kept 7 at CN.

My bigger point was that Grant is getting trampled and while he is not great not sure he deserves the beating he is taking. I do him as #7 but we have already heard Jay be effusive about him. He likes Grant for some reason. He clearly means something to Jay and the team that we don't see when he is in.  

Markus Golden getting "overdrafted" in the 2nd round gives me even more confidence in Ryan Andersons chances to tear it up for this team. Golden ran a 4.90 at the combine

In 762 snaps last year, Golden ranked 12th among 3-4 outside linebackers, per Pro Football Focus. (12.5 Sacks)

As head coach Bruce Arians told John Ledyard of Fanrag Sports, Golden goes at 100 miles an hour 100 percent of the time.

"Junk plays hard," he said. "You never have to worry about his passion. He's not making mental errors and he's giving everything he's got out there all the time."

And his combine profile sounds a LOT like Andersons too:

Strengths

Plays with toughness and is a fighter. Turns effort switch on and it stays on. Can set and hold the edge against the run. Stays alive in pursuit and has extended motor down the field. Holds his ground at the point of attack. Shows good awareness and locates the ball quickly. Has strength in his hands. Heavy tackler.

Weaknesses

Plodding, straight-line player. Lacks average get-off after the snap. Limited tackle range -- has to have the play near him. Doesn't use hands to shed and win often enough. Mostly a bull-rusher. Effort pass rusher who doesn't have a pet pass-rush move. Stiff and must gear down to change direction. Lacks closing burst to finish off his pass rushes. Doesn't seriously threaten outside shoulder of right tackle very often.

Bottom Line

Golden is a square-number pass rusher, meaning there isn't much twist, turn and torque to his game. He comes off the ball with a purpose, but scouts don't see the explosive traits they want from a pass rusher. Golden is primarily an effort and pursuit player with special-teams potential, but he doesn't fill up a stat sheet.

13 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I will say, I think Grant gets it a little hard in regards to the falling down thing. I think it was just the terrible timing of the one fall (in such a crucial moment) that gets him painted unjustly as a receiver who falls down "all the time". I honestly can only think of one other time he has fallen down but I could be wrong.

I do agree that this year we have better talent though. I'd be upset if Mo Harris gets cut or the rookie Davis doesnt clear waivers to make it to the practice squad because of the coaches love affair with Grant. 

I actually remember several falls, most after he caught a pass, and a couple trying to block. He had a couple (one huge one against Atlanta) but he seems to just fall down from no contact at times. I think he offers nothing offensively.

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

?...Why does being the 5th or 6th WR mean you're more likely to fall? lol...

because the reason you're lower on the depth chart is usually something to do with talent levels

26 minutes ago, carex said:

because the reason you're lower on the depth chart is usually something to do with talent levels

Route running, hands, speed, catch radius, combine results....sure.

Clumsiness? Eh, not quite lol...don't remember ever seeing a draft scouting report on a WR that said "Has hard time not falling down".

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Route running, hands, speed, catch radius, combine results....sure.

Clumsiness? Eh, not quite lol...don't remember ever seeing a draft scouting report on a WR that said "Has hard time not falling down".

I would put falling down while playing wide receiver on route running.  Suggests he had a hard time with cuts or footwork

Archived