Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Assault charges lol

i imagine the skeletons in Colt's closet look like a one day past due library book and that time he made a math error and accidentally only tipped 14.5% at Applebee's 

Ah, but THOSE are the exact guys you need to worry about.  They seem all innocent until you dig deeper, and find out that its not just that he was one day past due on a library book, but that he was one day past due on 3 library books!

Rascal.

On the whole topic of Grant vs Harris, and Grants problem being falling down, I think Redskins fans must have very selective memories.  

Maurice Harris fell down and caused an interception in the loss to the Giants to end the season last year. It happens.  I can assure you Ryan Grant is not being held off the field because he fell down a couple of times, it goes far deeper than that.  If he were good enough, they wouldnt care.

3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

On the whole topic of Grant vs Harris, and Grants problem being falling down, I think Redskins fans must have very selective memories.  

Maurice Harris fell down and caused an interception in the loss to the Giants to end the season last year. It happens.  I can assure you Ryan Grant is not being held off the field because he fell down a couple of times, it goes far deeper than that.  If he were good enough, they wouldnt care.

At some point I'm gonna make gifs of all the times Grant stumbled while running his route or after the catch so that everyone will stop thinking he fell down once or twice.

54 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

At some point I'm gonna make gifs of all the times Grant stumbled while running his route or after the catch so that everyone will stop thinking he fell down once or twice.

Id suggest you should set it to circus music for effect

I've been rewatching games via coach film and it makes me get Will Compton even less than I did previously.  The Mike LB arguably has to be the best tackler on the team and the dude from what I observed just isn't a good tackler period.   So hopefully the beat reporters are wrong and Foster supplants him at Mike.  Foster can tackle well.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/5/30/15711310/mason-foster-will-be-the-redskins-starting-mike-linebacker-opposite

Incumbent starter Will Compton has taken first team reps at MIKE during the first week of OTA in Greg Manusky's new defense, but this could be because he is somewhat familiar with the terminology to date. Aside from his ability to get guys into the right positions on defense, Compton struggles as a sideline-to-sideline run stopper, and is a liability in coverage.

In his second season in Washington, Mason Foster started 13 games, recording 88 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 1 sack and 3 passes defended. At 6'1" 250 pounds, he is built to take on the rigors of life between the tackles in the NFL.. He's a classic "mucker", being able to sift through the debris, find the ball carrier, and put him on his back. He's a thumper, who will come up hard and fill a gap with urgency, and he's certainly not afraid to take on a blocker at the point of attack.

Foster does lack some skills in pass coverage, as he tends to be a bit slow getting into his drops and recognizing routes in front of him, but with Zach Brown now on the field, he could be subbed out on passing downs for a dime linebacker to play opposite Brown. Mason does have experience calling the defense, as he was called upon to do so last year when Compton missed a few games with injury.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been rewatching games via coach film and it makes me get Will Compton even less than I did previously.  The Mike LB arguably has to be the best tackler on the team and the dude from what I observed just isn't a good tackler period.   So hopefully the beat reporters are wrong and Foster supplants him at Mike.  Foster can tackle well.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/5/30/15711310/mason-foster-will-be-the-redskins-starting-mike-linebacker-opposite

Incumbent starter Will Compton has taken first team reps at MIKE during the first week of OTA in Greg Manusky's new defense, but this could be because he is somewhat familiar with the terminology to date. Aside from his ability to get guys into the right positions on defense, Compton struggles as a sideline-to-sideline run stopper, and is a liability in coverage.

In his second season in Washington, Mason Foster started 13 games, recording 88 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 1 sack and 3 passes defended. At 6'1" 250 pounds, he is built to take on the rigors of life between the tackles in the NFL.. He's a classic "mucker", being able to sift through the debris, find the ball carrier, and put him on his back. He's a thumper, who will come up hard and fill a gap with urgency, and he's certainly not afraid to take on a blocker at the point of attack.

Foster does lack some skills in pass coverage, as he tends to be a bit slow getting into his drops and recognizing routes in front of him, but with Zach Brown now on the field, he could be subbed out on passing downs for a dime linebacker to play opposite Brown. Mason does have experience calling the defense, as he was called upon to do so last year when Compton missed a few games with injury.

Agree that Foster should be one of the starters at ILB as the seasons starts.  Even if Foster has issues with calling the plays doesn't the ILB or can't he have a speaker inside his helmet so Manusky can call the DF plays?

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Agree that Foster should be one of the starters at ILB as the seasons starts.  Even if Foster has issues with calling the plays doesn't the ILB or can't he have a speaker inside his helmet so Manusky can call the DF plays?

I don't think it will be an issue. Foster was also the MIKE in Tampa. He had 3 seasons calling the plays there. Comptons needs to be a ST player and back up, nothing more. If that.

Here's Keim weighing in. I listened this morning to a Zach Brown interview via the 980 archives -- it pumped me up some.  Brown was touting that no one has scored on him since his rookie year, talked about having the confidence to shut down any TE in the game.   He loved that the Redskins are being counted out in the off season.  He was fired up but he sounded believable. 

I don't agree with Keim's thought about Brown not being a hot commodity -- I guess that's so in terms of him not being offered big bucks but he was in pursuit by the Raiders, Dolphins, and Buffalo.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31444/redskins-optimistic-about-junior-galettes-latest-achilles-recovery

On the inside, Mason Foster and Zach Brown will compete for the starting job opposite Will Compton. During the OTA practice open to the media last week, Foster and Brown took reps with the starters though Foster appeared to be with the starters more and did so first. However, in at least some nickel situations Foster and Brown were on the field and Compton was not.

The real point is that no matter who starts, all three will have a role. There's a chance if Brown beats out Foster that the latter could supplant Compton. Foster can handle the signal-calling as well, but for now Compton has the clear advantage. Brown was a free-agent signing, but for only one season. He was not a hot commodity despite coming off his best season in Buffalo. Still, he'll help this defense: Whatever Brown's role becomes, he offers speed and athleticism that they'll use.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On the inside, Mason Foster and Zach Brown will compete for the starting job opposite Will Compton. During the OTA practice open to the media last week, Foster and Brown took reps with the starters though Foster appeared to be with the starters more and did so first. However, in at least some nickel situations Foster and Brown were on the field and Compton was not.

The real point is that no matter who starts, all three will have a role. There's a chance if Brown beats out Foster that the latter could supplant Compton. Foster can handle the signal-calling as well, but for now Compton has the clear advantage. Brown was a free-agent signing, but for only one season. He was not a hot commodity despite coming off his best season in Buffalo. Still, he'll help this defense: Whatever Brown's role becomes, he offers speed and athleticism that they'll use.

It's almost like Keim writes these Compton over Foster/Brown articles because he knows it makes our blood boil.

It'd be a travesty if Compton starts over either of them; "signal-calling" experience would be the least digestible justification. Sure, Barry deserves much of the blame for our pre-snap chaos last year, but Compton did nothing to prove he has some other worldly pre-snap intelligence which outweighs his lack of football ability. Assuming Manusky gets the plays called on time like a normal DC, I don't see why the signal-calling experience is such an impressive skill.

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here's Keim weighing in. I listened this morning to a Zach Brown interview via the 980 archives -- it pumped me up some.  Brown was touting that no one has scored on him since his rookie year, talked about having the confidence to shut down any TE in the game.   He loved that the Redskins are being counted out in the off season.  He was fired up but he sounded believable. 

I don't agree with Keim's thought about Brown not being a hot commodity -- I guess that's so in terms of him not being offered big bucks but he was in pursuit by the Raiders, Dolphins, and Buffalo.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31444/redskins-optimistic-about-junior-galettes-latest-achilles-recovery

I wouldn't take too much of this to heart. With new guys you let the incumbents start ahead of the new guys till they get the playbook down. Let's see what happens in training camp and preseason.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Look up

Yeah, I knew about that radio interview with 980, but I meant like, redskins.com press conferences with the media. Like those mini ones after practice on days when OTA is open to the media. I watch every one on the site and haven't seen zach brown on there yet. 

Im guessing that will change once training camp starts, but still. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Has zach brown had a press conference or interview yet since he's been here? Surprised I haven't seen one yet 

5/24/17, hour 3:  http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=425&f=5957443

And its a good one.

Edit:  just caught your last post, I get you are aware of that one

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

I wouldn't take too much of this to heart. With new guys you let the incumbents start ahead of the new guys till they get the playbook down. Let's see what happens in training camp and preseason.

I agree though it seems like beat reporter after beat reporter thinks Compton stays at the Mike and starts.  Hopefully its just their opinion and its not based on sources they have to the team.  

Brian Baldinger breaks down the issues with the Redskins defense last year, focusing on the middle of the defense.  No major revelation but he picked some on point examples in my view that brings home some of the discussion we've been having.  He shows Compton missing a tackle that freed open a big run.  Duke Ihenacho not getting deep fast enough to help stop a go route TD.  And the middle of the Redskins defense just getting bulldozed by Elliot and the Cowboys O line for three yards in front of the goal line for a TD. 

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/NFL_Baldinger_How_Redskins_Defense_Improved/27343a82-85f5-4d5b-994a-b3b953bc5860

http://www.richmond.com/redskins-xtra/redskins-ota-observations-niles-paul-joey-mbu-flying-under-the/article_ff9a0aec-4626-11e7-ade0-e3f420d11697.html

Lineups are always fluid at this point in the season, but it's clear that free-agent acquisition Zach Brown isn't going to be handed a spot in the starting lineup. He rotated with Mason Foster on Wednesday, with Will Compton seemingly playing the most snaps of the inside linebackers.

--Receiver Josh Doctson was participating during individual drills, but not during team drills. Because of that, Ryan Grant earned some time as a starting wide receiver - and as usual, turned in a solid practice performance. With this being a contract year for Grant, the pressure will be on to transfer those skills to a game setting.

--It's just one practice, but wide receiver Brian Quick could find himself fighting for a job if Maurice Harris and Robert Davis both have good camps. There's a lot of skill at the position, and Quick didn't appear to be playing at the same level as the top receivers. The best in the unit, by far, will be Terrelle Pryor Sr., who had the day's best catch, perfectly playing a 60-yard touchdown catch from Kirk Cousins that traveled 40 yards in the air. Bashaud Breeland had solid coverage but was outmaneuvered by the athletic Pryor.

--Third-year defensive lineman Joey Mbu picked up some starting reps, and could be a player to watch moving forward. He was on the practice squad in 2016.

Archived