Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

2 hours ago, carex said:

well BPA hasn't done all that much for us in the last few drafts so maybe we should.  As for what I was saying on Hood, you may try to make it sound petty  but I don't like to subtract until you definitely subtract them.  As it stand maybe we'll try to bring in a one year stopgap

He is subtracted. Hes not on the team.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

You go BPA because you never know what positions will be of need. WR wasn't a need last year but if we didn't draft Doctson, it would be a massive need this year.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of another.  Cuz if we don't pick Doctson, then we pick somebody else, say on the DL or LB, and that's not a need.  We're not necessarily any better off by going BPA with that pick.

44 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe he's visiting his grandmother?

Too soon, too soon.

Something to keep in mind when analyzing the D-line -- Preston Smith should be rushing from the interior out of nickel a lot more this year.

The game is won on 3rd down, and we need to be investing our best resources to be able to play 4 dynamic pass-rushers at once. Bennie Logan isn't a 3rd down player, and we clearly weren't looking to pay him what he wanted to be purely a run-stuffer. Neither were the 31 other teams, which is why he signed a 1-year deal. And similar to how Pryor wanted to play in our offensive on a one-year deal to boost his value, it made far more sense for Logan to play in KC's defense to do likewise.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they are working off of Scot's draft board, he doesn't seem like his kind of guy.  But who knows?  But agree about getting him late in the draft, I'd guess somewhere between the 5th-7th rounds.  Not to pick on Jones but it helps make my point.  Depending on the draft for a key position like this is a gamble.    I am ok with taking gambles like Jones, some of them work out but I don't want to depend on it.

http://www.onefootdown.com/2017/2/24/14725180/notre-dame-football-defensive-tackle-jarron-jones-has-red-flags-nfl-draft-combine-irish

Jarron Jones will need to make the most of his upcoming NFL Combine experience if he’s to overcome a perception that he’s “lazy,” a “cancer” and a possible next-level bust....“He was, by all accounts - and I was sent a photo from someone who was there that night - he was at The Linebacker the night Devin Butler got arrested and was not exactly acting like an angel himself. He had to have some closed door meetings with Irish coaches about that over that weekend. He was described to me going into this season as a cancer on the team by a teammate of his.”...

In the NFL.com scouting report, scouts - again, unnamed - said Jones didn’t “treat offseason as a time to get better. Sources say Irish coaches had to work overtime to keep him interested and working to get better.”...

There’s also a legitimate concern about his health, given his Lisfranc injury in 2014, his torn MCL in 2015 and his foot injury in the Fiesta Bowl in January 2016.“He’s going to need to change a lot about himself the other six days of the week and really the other nine months of the year based on everything I’ve been told to make this work as a professional football player,” said Fortuna.

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/nfl-combine-numbers-tell-very-different-stories-for-notre-dame/article_4a9f1e9a-02fe-11e7-ab3a-3f20ef0c5e04.html

Nose guard Jarron Jones’ performance, meanwhile, raised more questions than it answered.

He passed on participating in four of the seven physical tests (20-yard shuttle, 60 shuttle, standing broad jump, cone drill) and underperformed at the three others (bench press, 40-yard dash, vertical leap).

“I think it does hurt him,” Wright said, “because so much with Jarron Jones you’re basing on potential, because the tape isn’t consistent.

“You’re wishing on a prayer, hoping you can get him to play at his best on a consistent basis, which he hasn’t done throughout his college career. I think teams are going to ask: ‘Does that go back to work ethic? Has he been training hard enough properly?’

“Coming into the combine, I had him in the fourth or fifth round. Now, I have him falling into the late rounds (sixth or seventh). He’s a boom-or-bust prospect. If everything clicks, he could end up giving you early-round talent and production — or he could never play a game in the NFL.”

I coached Jarron in a few camps and watched many of his games as he attended a local high school. Big, strong, athletic kid that has a ton of potential.

9 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

If we dont sign either Hankins/Poe or Brown/Minter, then basically we have said we dont care about ever improving the defense. We cant just swap out Baker for McClain and call it a job well done(at this point, I dont consider McGee anything other than your typical JAG).  Surely we cant ignore the DLine yet again, can we?

I dont think it says that at all.  It's way too early for that.  We could use our first 2 picks on the DL for all we know.  Somebody could fall outta the sky, a la Norman or DJax, draft day trade, anything could happen.  It's not over yet.

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

As a fan I'd love to see everything done today. But it's still mid-March, lots of time + the draft. I hear Skins passing on Poe due to back issues so hoping they land Hankins. If not, would like to see it addressed in the draft. Won't worry until options are off the board.

I don't doubt they will try to do it in the draft at some point but I don't see them going NT at #17, it would likely be a major reach -- maybe Caleb Brantley but he's a bit tall and light for a NT, he's more of a 5 technique type, ditto M. McDowell who also has potential character concerns.   It's such a great draft for corner, safety, edge rusher -- trying to fit in a NT into that mix is possible but I don't think is an easy slam dunk exercise in this draft to count on finding an elite level run stuffing DT.  My favorite would probably be Tomlinson but he's likely going somewhere in the late 2nd-4th round. It's not always easy to target a guy because he simply could be taken before your pick. 

It's a cliche said by many GMs that they don't want to go into the draft with obvious needs.  They like to use FA to address obvious needs.  We did go into the 2016 draft with obvious DT needs -- and that was in a draft loaded at that position and it still just didn't flow to draft a DT until the 5th round.  I am not wild about going into the 2017 draft in the same boat -- nor would it assure me that they might force themselves to draft by need.   I am a BPA guy. 

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I coached Jarron in a few camps and watched many of his games as he attended a local high school. Big, strong, athletic kid that has a ton of potential.

That's interesting and very cool.  But your potential point falls in line with my post.  Draft geeks seem to see him as a boom/bust prospect.  No one seems to doubt his potential.  They seem to doubt his consistency, motor, character.  My point is I don't think Jarron fits the category of hey we don't have Hankins but if we get our hands on Jarron we'd be more than fine.  To me he'd be a "maybe".  If had to handpick a NT from this draft it would be Tomlinson but I am hesitant to depend on any draft pick to quickly establish themselves as a force at NT.  As it was pointed out here by someone else, we keep running a 3-4 without a killer NT.   We got destroyed on the ground last season.  I want a bonafide NT :) with little risk of them not panning out.  But heck I'll play along with Jarron Jones being the guy but even so as we all know the problem with the draft is you might target a player or two but you can't count on landing them.

If you only watched his Miami tape, Notre Dame DT Jarron Jones would be talked about in the top-15. But consistency/character are both big

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hopeful thinking?  If its a report then I am jazzed about it but couldn't find it.  I just did a quick twitter search and I see nothing.  I also went through Mike Jones' and Keim's timelines, nothing.  Most I see is Keim speculating now that they didn't get Poe, do they go after Hankins?

I think I remember seeing TK post something about Hankins having an upcoming visit....although the last 100 pages of this thread have been all over the place, so I may be misremembering.

2 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

I think I remember seeing TK post something about Hankins having an upcoming visit....although the last 100 pages of this thread have been all over the place, so I may be misremembering.

OK, love to see it happen, not to jinx it. :)  I've been among others on this thread for a long time having Hankins as my number 1 desired DT. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK, love to see it happen, not to jinx it. :)  I've been among others on this thread for a long time having Hankins as my number 1 desired DT. 

I'd be very happy with a Hankins signing myself. Would definitely help me feel that the McClain and McGee signing were at least partially geared toward depth, not starters. 

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's interesting and very cool.  But your potential point falls in line with my post.  Draft geeks seem to see him as a boom/bust prospect.  No one seems to doubt his potential.  

I think you need to read what I said but more importantly, keep in mind what I didn't say.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you need to read what I said but more importantly, keep in mind what I didn't say.

I read what you say.  You responded to my post which was essentially about Jones looking like a gamble.  You didn't run with the gamble part of my point but said what you liked about Jones so I assumed that was a plug.   So I doubled down on the idea that he's a gamble and I don't want a gamble at NT or at least a gamble as the key starter at NT.   But anyway if I got you wrong, sorry.   I am not quite sure then what your angle is -- agreeing that he has potential but open to boom/bust take?  

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What do you mean? 

we've had 17 draft picks under GMSM, using BPA.  13 are still on the team.  10 have played a down, Daniels and Marshall were on IR, Sudfeld was the third QB.  Two have become very good players for us, Scherff and Crowder.  Three have had moments but have been inconsistent or regressed, Smith, Jones and Cravens.  The other five, Doctson, Kouandijo, Spaight, Fuller, and Ioannidis have done nothing and no one here is expecting that to change

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He is subtracted. Hes not on the team.

well until he's on someone else's team or we start training camp without him, I'm not subtracting him

8 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

WELL OKAY THEN, GUESS I OPEN A CAN OF WORMS! I RECKONED IT'S NO TO JONES!!!!!

escalated.jpg

"Weaknesses

Top heavy. Missing mass through thighs and in calves. Gets battered by down blocks and can be rooted out of gap due to lack of anchor in lower half. Comes off the ball too tall. Needs to play with more consistent bend to alleviate pad level issues. High center of gravity produces issues with balance when thumped with a redirect block. Needs to recognize cut blocks and stuff them more consistently. Scouts consider him unmotivated and question his football character. Doesn't treat offseason as a time to get better. Sources say Irish coaches had to work overtime to keep him interested and working to get better. Injuries have limited his growth as a player and his overall production. Missed final three games in 2014 with Lisfranc injury and the entire 2015 regular season with a torn MCL. Came back for bowl game that season and injured his foot in that game.

Sources Tell Us

"He's a character flag for us. He's talented but I just don't think he loves the game enough for me to back him in our room. Who doesn't love those long arms? We all do, but I think he's lazy and will head south as soon as he has more time and money on his hands." -- NFC director of scouting"

From your link. No, this isn't the guy you want to pencil in as your starter. This is a guy you want to play behind your starter and see if he will develop. If he does, great, if not, You're not doomed (especially if you took him late in the draft). But counting on a guy to all of a sudden grow up and decide to put everything into it, when for the first time in his life he's going to have money in his face like he has never seen? Nope, we've seen way too often how this ends.

It looks like this.

haynesworth.jpg

2 minutes ago, carex said:

we've had 17 draft picks under GMSM, using BPA.  13 are still on the team.  10 have played a down, Daniels and Marshall were on IR, Sudfeld was the third QB.  Two have become very good players for us, Scherff and Crowder.  Three have had moments but have been inconsistent or regressed, Smith, Jones and Cravens.  The other five, Doctson, Kouandijo, Spaight, Fuller, and Ioannidis have done nothing and no one here is expecting that to change

I think there's quite a few that are expecting things to change as it relates to Doctson, and Fuller (who's play was not great last year, but did spend signficant time as our primary nickel back)

Also, how would you rate Jarrett, who I see you left off? I think he's an odd one when judging things....he played very well for us (arguably better than even Cravens did for us this year) in 2015, but then suffered a freak nerve injury. 

1 minute ago, ZRagone said:

I think there's quite a few that are expecting things to change as it relates to Doctson, and Fuller (who's play was not great last year, but did spend signficant time as our primary nickel back)

Also, how would you rate Jarrett, who I see you left off? I think he's an odd one when judging things....he played very well for us (arguably better than even Cravens did for us this year) in 2015, but then suffered a freak nerve injury. 

He was good and on the one hand it was a freak injury.  On the other a lot of guys GMSM picked have had a lot of injuries, including some freaky ones like Doctson for example

3 minutes ago, daveakl said:

umm, I think everyone is expecting that to change.

they all play at positions of need, except Fuller and everyone is acting like the cupboard is bare, so they don't do a good job showing it, and people are even saying we need to sign another CB

3 minutes ago, carex said:

they all play at positions of need, except Fuller and everyone is acting like the cupboard is bare, so they don't do a good job showing it, and people are even saying we need to sign another CB

No, it means you don't COUNT ON THEM. So you get a proven guy and hope they develop when you don't have any other options.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I dont think it says that at all.  It's way too early for that.  We could use our first 2 picks on the DL for all we know.  Somebody could fall outta the sky, a la Norman or DJax, draft day trade, anything could happen.  It's not over yet.

But when you have 30+ million in cap room, and you spend it without improving one of the worst defenses over the past 2 seasons, it says that.  Of course we should use our draft picks to improve it, but thats not enough for a unit this bad.  At the very least you need to significantly upgrade one position on defense, and if you dont, thats just poor management.  Im hoping we do, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, carex said:

well until he's on someone else's team or we start training camp without him, I'm not subtracting him

Do you keep every player to not be re signed on as on the roster? 

What about guys we cut and they retire?

Who else is still on our roster that we don't have signed?

Does this only work for players we don't resign or is every free agent on our roster?

You could have just said "Oh, I didn't know he was gone" and moved on instead of trying to prove this as some kind of idiotic theory. 

Archived