Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

8 hours ago, redrobert said:

WR C. Patterson is a Raider

Patterson looked to be headed out of his visit without a contract on Monday night, but he returned to the facility and the two sides quickly hammered out a deal. Likely to serve as the fourth receiver behind Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, and Seth Roberts.

per Rotoworld 

Sounds about right, he's 4th WR material.  People seemed high on him here as a WR for some reason.

@Skinsinparadise we didn't pull one single starter out of last year's draft. We got 2 the year before and everyone is ready to walk away from one of them.

We've never drafted BPA in my opinion either. We went guard at 5 because it was Scots first draft and he was cant miss and WR last year, because we knew we were letting them go.

We signed a slow SS to play FS and now have nobody on the line who can rush the passer.

Our ILBs probably don't start for another team.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We signed a slow SS to play FS and now have nobody on the line who can rush the passer.

Our ILBs probably don't start for another team.

he played free safety on a very good defense last year and Foster at least has spent the majority of his career as a starter

20 minutes ago, zoony said:

Question for the room

is the team better now than at the start of free agency?

WR:  Lost D. Jax, Garcon.  Added:  Pryor.   I love Pryor but one addition doesn't translate to better than both D. Jax & Garcon.  So I'd say treading water or a little worst at WR.

Safety:  Swearinger is an upgrade

DT:  lost Swaggy, added 2 players who IMO aren't as good.   We got a bunch of FAs out on the market (albeit not great but we need bodies right now) who have not been resigned.  So IMO, slightly worse at DT.

I'd say the team is the same.   And considering they are flirting with losing Kirk the team smells much more IMO as a team preparing to take steps back and than steps forward. 

19 minutes ago, zoony said:

Question for the room

My concern in your epic kool aid thread was that we would regress on offence short term by losing the vets and improve on defence, current situation is slighty worse that I expected. We need one more quality pick up in FA to level it off to all being a wash. 

Then when you compare it to the rest of the division........

@zoony My answer is yes.

More Redzone targets on offense. Mixed that in with still having top 3 slot receiver in all of football. Jay Gruden calling plays I think our offense takes huge step forward in PPG.

Cravens and Swearinger at safety is huge huge upgrade from Whitner and Blackmon. People talk about Swearinger being slow but Whitner was mollasses and way past his prime, we all saw that. Cravens may have NFL growing pains but he is a natural safety IMO great ball instincts and a organic open field tackler. Swearinger will bring toughness and comradery to a secondary with former HS teammate Josh Norman, could see these two really feeding off eachother. Going to be more tipped balls from jarring hits, more fear to just run 10 yard digs all day on this unit. 

Defensive line Ike took a step sideways at the very least, I don't think we are done adding help here yet however. 

I think this team as a whole, if they can manage to get lucky with minimal injuries. Is a better team than last season. 

9 minutes ago, zoony said:

Question for the room

Rhetorical z? 

On offense: 

We appear to have kept Kirk for this year at least. So that's a major plus right there. 

Not that Licht is a big loss. But we're still down an OL. 

Managing to keep Davis right now is a plus for the TE/ receiving situation. 

And we've lost our top two receivers and replaced them with a 1 year prospect. Albeit a very talented one. Don't see how right here, right now anyone can argue that's a positive. 

On defense: 

McClain as a base end in a 34 is a downgrade on Baker as he doesn't have Bakers size/strength or length. And I was never that big a fan of fan of Baker. 

Swearinger upgrades on anything we have at safety so that's a plus by default. 

McGee I honestly can't comment on as a pro. Save to say he was average to be kind at OU (BOOMER SOONER! Soz. Can't resit), well underperforming for his athleticism, and was involved in multiple off-field incidents/ suspensions. Both school violations and legal. He would probably of gone undrafted had it not been for the Raiders being the Raiders. A 5 year deal? SERIOUSLY? Expecting little there outside of a rotational body. 

Did I miss anyone? 

Pretty much a big 'meh.' With a SERIOUS worry over what we'll do in the draft now we've binned one of the brightest evaluating minds out there and the lunatics are back running the asylum!

Hail. 

I think most on this board have a higher opinion of Baker than I do.  This defense was bottom 10 in rushing yards per game and per attempt (over 4.3 yards per rush).  I think the guys we picked up are both stouter against the run than Baker.  I think we are better at safety.  Pass rush is still an issue, maybe Gillette sees the field this year and helps.  I think we go ILB and pass rusher early in the draft.

i like Prior, but he doesn't make up for DJax and Garçon.  If Doctson and Crowder step up I'm ok with those 3.  I think the draft will go along way with defining this offseason.

The Redskins have already tried numerous times the big splash, big money, past their prime free agency plan and that clearly didn't work.  Let's give the journeyman, non flashy free agency plan a try and see where we end up.

1 hour ago, evmiii said:

The Redskins have already tried numerous times the big splash, big money, past their prime free agency plan and that clearly didn't work.  Let's give the journeyman, non flashy free agency plan a try and see where we end up.

We havent done the old expensive FA type of moves since Vinny and are doing the journeyman thing for the third straight year.

Why do people still think we're doing that?

You know what's a great way to make a splash? Signing impact FAs to improve your team, so you can win games.

We're going to be competing with the eagles for the basement,  while the cowboys and giants control the division. 

Baker is not nearly as good as people here value him.  I have no idea about the two guys we signed to replace him, but Baker was just not that great.  His greatest strength was his versatility.  He routinely missed assignments because he was doing his own thing.  He wasn't particularly stout and rarely collapsed the middle.  

I thank him for his service here but to me he was JAG surrounded by bottom-tier talent...making him look better than he actually was.  

42 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Rhetorical z? 

On offense: 

Edit

Pretty much a big 'meh.' With a SERIOUS worry over what we'll do in the draft now we've binned one of the brightest evaluating minds out there and the lunatics are back running the asylum!

Hail. 

I mostly agree but do disagree a little overall and some individual.

Losing Kory L is addition by subtraction. Long played better so even if that's all that happened the line is improved. Hope Sullivan get's a chance and they draft a developmental C late in the draft and let Long go back to LG where I think overall he is better. Even a line with Long at C and Arie at LG would be better than what we have. Hope they release Lauvaou. Another addition through subtraction.

Baker and Goldston and even RJF for McClain and McGee is probably a wash or a slight loss. Not as enamored with Baker as some. Not revisionist. Thought he was decent but nothing special. And he was getting older and both guys are younger. The Dline had this habit of disappearing on important plays. In fairness bringing Hood back does not improve things much if at all. Only way to make the Dline better at this point is to sign a FA DLine (Hankins please!) or/and draft someone day 2 (not getting Jared Allen - do not see another 1st DT). Maybe a Caleb Brantly FL 2nd or Larry Ogunjobiin Charlotte in the 3rd.

5 yr deal for McGee is very team friendly. They could get rid of him after 1 yr for a $3.8M dead cap hit. Goes down to $2.4 after 2018. Basically just the prorated signing bonus. So not really worried about that contract. Might be a little high but not as much as it looks at first glance.

Fair enough on the WRs although Harris showed some signs last year. Just were not enough balls to go around. Not happy that Grant will probably still be here. If Doctson or Harris can be a #2 - it changes everything. But as it stands I would lean towards your thoughts of not quite as good. I will point out though that while Jackson can be special, he never played 16 gms for the team. Last year he played 15 gms but was dinged up and basically just a decoy a few games.

Swearinger is not the next Troy P but he is light years ahead of anyone we started the last 4 yrs. Agree that is not setting the bad very high but still an upgrade.

Overall see us little better, with some upside. Got younger in most cases and really like Pryor's chance to be really special with his size, speed, and work ethic. This changes a fair amount with a Dline FA like Hankins.

1 hour ago, campfodder said:

Swearinger has a lot of DC roots.  A lot of family out here.  

his tackle on Hyde in SF from that clip was awesome as he came from 20yrds out and tackled for a loss.   He had the speed to tackle  Freeman or Coleman on that sweep too.   Def Upgrade.  He and Sua are a big upgrade from last year.

Still would like another big body in the middle and a fast big ILB before the draft.

OG market is way overpriced so probably draft one and hopefully he or Arie can allow us to cut Lavauo or slot Long in and draft a C in the mid rounds.

Besides the fact we need to sign KC Long term, I like our additions.

yes Garcon and DJax were dynamic between the 20s but having two 6.2+ tall WRs in the redzone is a huge plus from last year.  Just helping KC get an extra 10 TDs down there puts us very comfortably in the playoffs.  The key is Doctson, we know he has fantastic hands, can he stay healthy?   Also Crowder will be on his 3rd year in this offense, and so will KC, we hope.

Lets not forget running game, we improve a little then we are just fine on offense.

D its all about stopping the run, and I can't believe we can suck as bad as the last two years.

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Question for the room

Yes and No

Offense- Lost two weapons at wide receiver and pick up one. All-in-all it depends on whether Doctson can become the player we all hope he can. We have yet to sign Kirk to a LTD and it looks like we'll lose him at the end of the season because the ego of the owner looks bad.

Defense-Lost one play maker on the d-line and pick up two potentially good d-lineman to replace him. The highlight of the FA period is picking up Swearinger. May have finally have stability at our Safety position. 

Front Office-All of this is overshadowed by the actions of the Owner and President which resembles a couple of Middle-school Girls whom sure have their I-phones taken away from them. The firing of Scott makes us a laughing-stock throughout the league.

Final Grade thus far would be a C-.

Archived