Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

CSN is looking at Redskins roster depth and they have RJF, Phil Taylor and Stacy McGee as starters, with McClain as a backup.  That definitely seems wrong to me

2 hours ago, mcgraw238 said:

He already knows everything you said here. He just felt the continued need to discredit SM no matter how disingenuous the rationale. I've seen the 2014 drafted trumpeted numerous times but apparently the 2016 drafted is an unmitigated failure a mere 10 months later. 

I am only complaining that people are acting like the guy was some sort of franchise savior, when they only stick of for the ability of these players when he is brought up.

No mention of Scot, then the Skins are in desperate need at everyone of those positions

and I regard 2016 as more of a failure than 2014 because it was obvious we needed impact player to avoid regression from 2015 and he didn't pick them

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I can't for the life of me understand how they didn't extend an offer to Baker and he ended up signing a short 3 year deal at comparable money to McGee and McClain....as if we are rife with talent on the DL.  Not because Baker is some All Pro but because he's a core Redskin, fan favorite that has eaten crap for this franchise for a while.  I could understand if they were getting something clearly better, but that's not what me or Cooley are seeing.

This. And we could have had him for the same money we paid to one of these guys.

Keep this in mind as well, neither is a NT. McGee played 3 tech most of the time, and McClain played in a 4-3. Neither one of these guys actually solves the problem with NT. It's kinda like moving Ziggy Hood to play NT, when he's a 3-4 DE and wondering why you have a problem. Ziggy can't take a double team. He's too small for that, but not quick enough to explode through gaps consistently, and much better playing at 3 or 5 tech. And his pedigree is much better than either McClain or McGee, he's actually had success in the NFL for more than one season.

If we are going to run a 3-4, we need a NT, period. **** this hybrid bull****, where you now have LB's that are doing stuff they can't really do, like 2 260 pound OLBs getting run over because you really need a run stuffing 300 pound DE there when you play a 4-3. Get the right pieces.

If we had gone and signed Baker and let him play DE, and gotten a REAL NT, move Hood to DE, we now have a line that is actually good.

Right now, we have hot garbage, worse than the crap we put out last year.

29 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Good point, and thats why its especially important we get one of the 2 remaining, because there are 32 teams!

True but for every major FA there are at least 7 teams vying for their services and they're all gonna be in better shape than us in same way or another - whether financially, stability etc.

are we sure we could have gotten Baker and someone else for the money that both McClain and McGee got, rather than Baker and just having some money left over?

McClain apparently lined up over C a lot in Dallas, though I am sick of taking big 3-4 DE(he's just over 300) and playing them as small NT

2 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

valid point, as I stated I don't know anything about the two guys we picked up.  

fwiw, a Dallas fan friend of mine told me wed really like McClain

BUT, bein born in Oakland, he's also a part time raiders fan, and he laughed when I told him we signed McGee lol

2 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Also, I don't think the team wanted Baker. Or vice versa. I think it was about more than money.

It was rumored the team wasn't high on Baker even when Scott was involved.  But I don't think its a vice versa situation, Baker gave no impression that he didn't want to be here, and even tweeted with a bit of salt after he signed the deal with TB.

2 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Also, I don't think the team wanted Baker. Or vice versa. I think it was about more than money.

I agree. I think it was more than just the money. I think once you start calling out coaches like he did last year, your days are numbered.

2 hours ago, KingGibbs said:

As of today we have made no improvements to our team. We have taken two steps forward and two steps back. Nothing but lateral moves. Don't try and convince yourself otherwise.

Why does everyone think that free agency will automatically fix your team. Why don't we wait until after the draft to see if we've improved.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Like early January. I think it was one of those futures reserves contract things 

Yep. If his knee is better, at least he's a real NT. Played well when healthy, but that was years ago. I like him for depth, but we need a starter IMO.

4 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Still think Baker will not be missed. Just because he was the biggest and best turd on that line means nothing because it was still **** no matter how you look at it. Will it be better? Who knows? Will it be worse? No.

And you contradict yourself. Doesn't matter if he's a "turd" or not. If he's your best turd, and you don't upgrade, you're worse. One things for sure, you won't be better.

Just now, Morneblade said:

And you contradict yourself. Doesn't matter if he's a "turd" or not. If he's your best turd, and you don't upgrade, you're worse. One things for sure, you won't be better.

No I just do not share the whole chicken with its head cut off philosophy. The guy had a crappy attitude and displayed it with coaches. I go back to the argument with Barry that he had on the field. If he was so great he would have gotten way more than the 6 mil he pulled in. Again I say not concerned that he is gone.

13 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

With Boldin announcing that he wants to play another year, I'd like to make a play for him. We will need a veteran presence in the WR room to teach these youngsters how to be pros. Would also be a great way to let Grant go elsewhere.

Not this year, he is 36 and will turn 37 in October.  He also had the lowest production in his career last year on a team without Megatron and played all 16 games.  The FSU fan in me wants to say yes, but that aside I still think we would be best to stay away.  We have a vet in Davis that can help teach the younger receivers how to be pros.  

1 minute ago, fordranger76 said:

No I just do not share the whole chicken with its head cut off philosophy. The guy had a crappy attitude and displayed it with coaches. I go back to the argument with Barry that he had on the field. If he was so great he would have gotten way more than the 6 mil he pulled in. Again I say not concerned that he is gone.

No, you just make to really silly statements back to back. Barry was hot garbage, and he wasn't the only one to get into with with him. I'm ok with that because at least he cared enough to expect more. I really don't care if your concerned or not, you're last 2 posts tell me you really don't understand that when you loose you best player on the DL, get a couple guys that are worse and you're ok with it? For the same money? You don't understand football.

Archived