Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Solid stat pull, much appreciated. But, the issue isn't about replacing Baker as much as it is who we've brought in. These two guys cost $10M/yr. We could have gotten a guaranteed upgrade, top tier NT for that money. Instead we have two players whose stats need to be extrapolated assuming perfect health, in order to be about as good as Baker... It just seems like a lot of money poorly spent for what the options were.

Now I agree with the NT part. I wanted Hankins all along and I still hope they get it done. But looking at where the stats are leading is McClain replacing Baker and I think they are planning on McGee being the NT. Now cost is a different matter all together because we do not know if there was a market for these guys. I don't think the cost was that crazy but I don't think it was bank breaking. We do have one ace in the hole with Jim Tomsula who can get a lot out of nothing. The bottomline for me is I do not believe we have gotten worse than we were last year though that is not saying much.

Some people still don't understand how FA works.

Let's pretend our team has just spent a couple years hovering around .500 and in or near the playoffs.

Now let's pretend our team has been saving up for a big cap space spend to sign a couple guys to put us over the top.

We could sign a couple top level impactful FAs at the GLARING HOLES that have had us spinning our wheels at .500 and actually improve the team or we could just keep dumping money into jags that should be coming from the draft.

As far as my opinion on Baker. He was a fun team leader and when we had impactful players on the line with him, he produced well. When you have not one talented other player on your front 7, anything you get from him his a miracle. 

3 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Now I agree with the NT part. I wanted Hankins all along and I still hope they get it done. But looking at where the stats are leading is McClain replacing Baker and I think they are planning on McGee being the NT. Now cost is a different matter all together because we do not know if there was a market for these guys. I don't think the cost was that crazy but I don't think it was bank breaking. We do have one ace in the hole with Jim Tomsula who can get a lot out of nothing. The bottomline for me is I do not believe we have gotten worse than we were last year though that is not saying much.

Haha true, there wasn't much room for regression. 

Again, this isn't about bank-breaking or replacing Baker or anything other than the fact this is money that could have been spent better. $10M/yr, which is what these two cost, is the kind of money that buys top talent and a guaranteed hole filled. 

It's like being given $60k and instead of buying a new Corvette, we bought two Civics. 

Just now, CTskin said:

Haha true, there wasn't much room for regression. 

Again, this isn't about bank-breaking or replacing Baker or anything other than the fact this is money that could have been spent better. $10M/yr, which is what these two cost, is the kind of money that buys top talent and a guaranteed hole filled. 

It's like being given $60k and instead of buying a new Corvette, we bought two Civics. 

well, if your family needs two cars....

25 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Solid stat pull, much appreciated. But, the issue isn't about replacing Baker as much as it is who we've brought in. These two guys cost $10M/yr. We could have gotten a guaranteed upgrade, top tier NT for that money. Instead we have two players whose stats need to be extrapolated assuming perfect health, in order to be about as good as Baker... It just seems like a lot of money poorly spent for what the options were.

Well said, easy to understand why I posted what I did about the rankings. IF we are to think that two is better then one then you could have had the one better player and 2 million bucks over the two guys we did get.

The reason other teams are signing away our players is because unlike what some want to project about how awful the former Redskin players are/were/and forever will be on this forum, if they were as bad as some say they are they wouldn't be getting paid like they are. To believe otherwise is dishonest. If Desean had nothing left he's not getting 12 million a season, if Garcon was as bad as some of you say then he's not getting 16 million this season and on and on.

I get why some of you do that, it's because you can't deal with the truth that this teams screws up. It's easier to think that the Redskins got something right and keep hopes up then to be honest. Some of us can't do that, we aren't wired to do that. We aren't going to do that. We just aren't wired this way

6 minutes ago, carex said:

well, if your family needs two cars....

Depends on the budget. If I had 10k and I needed two used cars vs having 20k and I needed two used cars then my approach would be different.

On the 10k budget I know I'm better off buying one used car and keeping some money in the bank for repairs then buying two 5K cars leaving nothing in the bank for repairs. The cheaper you go the more repairs are a certainty. Plus I know I would get more mileage out of a nicer car for 8k then I would for 5k. What do I do when the cars break down and need replaced in a year with no money left in the bank?

On the other hand if you had 20k you can get two 10k cars and be fine.

A 10k car is better then an 8k car but an 8k car is better then a 5k car almost always

The Redskins want two buy two 5k cars and expect them to work perfectly and that doesn't work. It hasn't before and it's not likely to work now. Why? Every team wants to keep it's up and comers and it's high ceiling guys. Every team wants to dump the lower ceiling guys and the JAGS. Do you see anyone saying how much they miss those two linemen now? Or see what other teams were offering them? No, why? Because they know who these men are, much better then we do. In the NFL if you see one guy getting 10k a game and another guys willing to sign for half that normally it's buyer beware here.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Said at the time we signed him, if he lights it up this year, he's probably the one getting next years tag. Can't wait for that one :ols:

Yeah, that one year deal really made no sense. We'll probably lose him and cousins next year.

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We don't need two budget cars, we need one impactful player to make plays and allow the others to make plays.

right now the Skins D is such that one impactful player will just lead their opponent to work the other side of the field

27 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Depends on the budget. If I had 10k and I needed two used cars vs having 20k and I needed two used cars then my approach would be different.

On the 10k budget I know I'm better off buying one used car and keeping some money in the bank for repairs then buying two 5K cars leaving nothing in the bank for repairs. The cheaper you go the more repairs are a certainty. Plus I know I would get more mileage out of a nicer car for 8k then I would for 5k. What do I do when the cars break down and need replaced in a year with no money left in the bank?

On the other hand if you had 20k you can get two 10k cars and be fine.

A 10k car is better then an 8k car but an 8k car is better then a 5k car almost always

The Redskins want two buy two 5k cars and expect them to work perfectly and that doesn't work. It hasn't before and it's not likely to work now. Why? Every team wants to keep it's up and comers and it's high ceiling guys. Every team wants to dump the lower ceiling guys and the JAGS. Do you see anyone saying how much they miss those two linemen now? Or see what other teams were offering them? No, why? Because they know who these men are, much better then we do. In the NFL if you see one guy getting 10k a game and another guys willing to sign for half that normally it's buyer beware here.

actually quite a few Cowboys fans seem to expect them  to miss McClain and I have seen some Raiders folks who  say they'll miss McGee

26 minutes ago, Hubbs said:

So, you're saying we'd be better off if we didn't sign Norman?

no, I am not.  I am saying signing 1 very good player for the secondary when we had multiple holes did nt solve  the problems we had

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, that one year deal really made no sense. We'll probably lose him and cousins next year.

I don't expect us to lose Cousins and they'll be other FA WRs next year if we can't hold onto him

Just wondering, with all the talk about the Skins QB situation why has no one paired us with Garrapollo and the pats?

1 minute ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Just get it over with and go back to a base 4-3.  Let the 2 JAGs compete for 1 starting DT spot, draft the other (or both even).  Move Kerrigan/Smith/Murphy to DE.  Keep Mason.  Find 2 more LBs.  I dunno, beats what we did last year.

sounds good.  We'd probably need to add some OLBs and get the LBs to add weight.  Having a LB put a hand down on passing downs has been done at least since Charles Haley as a 49er, but LB size DEs on 70%  of the D's plays is a bad idea

5 minutes ago, carex said:

Just wondering, with all the talk about the Skins QB situation why has no one paired us with Garrapollo and the pats?

I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago. Maybe a 3 team deal with SF and NE?

Yea, said it from the beginning, only team I'd trade Cousins to would be Browns for two 1sts THIS year in addition to our own pick. Could pretty much turn that #1 overall into whatever we wanted whether it's Myles Garrett or a QB or a boatload of picks to rebuild the entire defense and piece of two on Offense

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Yea, said it from the beginning, only team I'd trade Cousins to would be Browns for two 1sts THIS year in addition to our own pick. Could pretty much turn that #1 overall into whatever we wanted whether it's Myles Garrett or a QB or a boatload of picks to rebuild the entire defense and piece of two on Offense

Be nice to be in the front of next year's draft if we don't have a QB. We'll probably be good enough to completely miss on the top QBs.

Archived