Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

What's up with josh Gordon. I would sign him now without knowledge of his upcoming reinstatement ruling. Can he sign with teams?

I got a feeling NFL gonna be lenient if he has his head on straight. Substance abuse is forgiveable by NFL standards, not hitting a woman or child abuse. I'd love to see us fleece the league with this one on a 3 year deal with incentives. 

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

What's up with josh Gordon. I would sign him now without knowledge of his upcoming reinstatement ruling. Can he sign with teams?

I got a feeling NFL gonna be lenient if he has his head on straight. Substance abuse is forgiveable by NFL standards, not hitting a woman or child abuse. I'd love to see us fleece the league with this one on a 3 year deal with incentives. 

If he signed with the Skins, Mara would immediately ban him for life and make his contract doubly fully guaranteed to hit our cap this year.

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

My opinion is better than yours. I'm invested in cats and know a whole lot more than you do. Get back to me in August when you've had a cat and realized just how terribly wrong you are!

You're crazy! Dogmetrics says that dogs out perform cats 75% of the time. They're longer, stronger, and faster. You should get a dog and rethink your position! 

1 minute ago, Long n Left said:

You're crazy! Dogmetrics says that dogs out perform cats 75% of the time. They're longer, stronger, and faster. You should get a dog and rethink your position! 

No! Your opinions are easily refuted! I have significantly researched dogs, and found that dogs cost more over a longer period of time compared to cats. Cats bring more experience catching mice and lizards, all for less cost, proving that you can have both QUALITY AND QUANTITY.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

No! Your opinions are easily refuted! I have significantly researched dogs, and found that dogs cost more over a longer period of time compared to cats. Cats bring more experience catching mice and lizards, all for less cost, proving that you can have both QUALITY AND QUANTITY.

Cats are evil and they hate you.

Dogs cost more money.

Snakes are cheap and don't hate you!

20160223_184713.jpg

16 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Cats are evil and they hate you.

Dogs cost more money.

Snakes are cheap and don't hate you!

That is true, cats do hate us. But that hate makes them much more arrogant, and it's good to have arrogance. They're swaggy. Snakes are just purr evil.

I ain't sayin we need loveable little kittens, we need something with a streak of mean. But snakes are just too far. Snakes also have terrible lateral movement, I don't understand how anyone can want that.

I wonder how much, if any, of these off season moves (and not moves), signings (and not signings) are the Skins sub contextually saying to Cuz, "Hey, if you don't sign here long-term...and soon...then YOU have effectively tied our hands during this FA period...and YOU will force us to use a valuable draft pick on a QB...and it will be YOUR fault that YOU and YOUR team next year will not be as good as "shoulda/coulda been"...and it will because of you that we will have to gut the whole team in 2018...for what?? a few million???...tsk tsk...not the way to start off your legacy...anyhoo, we can go either way too..HTTR!!!"

10 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

true, but don't you think that when we use our 34 as a 43 we have undersized 43 DEs..so basically we are playing 43 70% of the time with not one but two small DEs...if a traditional 43 had that small of a front 4 they'd get eatin' alive...

Which is exactly what happens to us. Not only that, you don't have LB's that really work in a 4-3 either. We have either OLB, that basically rush the passer, and are NOT adept at coverage, so then you have to put ILB to play there, and they are usually not as athletic as they need to be, because they are 3-4 ILB's and not 4-3 OLB's. Which is the issue when playing a hybrid. you have a bunch of guys doing stuff they are not all that well suited to do. And, it shows in our case.

Which leads back to putting our OLB as 4-3 DE's. It's ok, if you have one guy that wieghs around 260-270 on the weak side, over the LT because that is your rush end. The strong side guy is usually closer to 290-300 and is stout, not 270 pound Ryan Kerrigan. So you have everyone basically playing in a position they are not well suited to. And.............................you suck.

19 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I wonder how much, if any, of these off season moves (and not moves), signings (and not signings) are the Skins sub contextually saying to Cuz, "Hey, if you don't sign here long-term...and soon...then YOU have effectively tied our hands during this FA period...and YOU will force us to use a valuable draft pick on a QB...and it will be YOUR fault that YOU and YOUR team next year will not be as good as "shoulda/coulda been"...and it will because of you that we will have to gut the whole team in 2018...for what?? a few million???...tsk tsk...not the way to start off your legacy...anyhoo, we can go either way too..HTTR!!!"

Ehh even if he signs a LTD, isn't it likely it would only open up about 6M this year on the cap? Seeing as we could easily free that up with obvious cuts and restructures right now, and aren't doing it yet for whatever reason, I can't see how you place the blame on Cousins. Think this is a case of fans looking too deeply into the situation for any clue.

30 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And.............................you suck.

sheesh, I can't help it...you see, my father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy – the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.............HTTR!!! : )

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

yeah, cats are cool but there ain't nuthin' like your pup...

51 minutes ago, SkinsManNJ said:

No cats no dogs no snakes pigeons is where its at especially if your home guarded while your out.

Dogs, cats and pigeons are all called one name in my household. "Food items". And trust me, NO ONE is breaking into my house!

29 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

sheesh, I can't help it...you see, my father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy – the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we’d make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.............HTTR!!! : )

Well, I was actually referring to our defense sucking. Kinda jealous about the luge lessons though. For me it was just sledding......in Siberia. With fish tied to us so the Stellar's Sea Eagles (seriously, google them) would attack us. Probably why I don't like most pets. ;)

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Which is exactly what happens to us. Not only that, you don't have LB's that really work in a 4-3 either. We have either OLB, that basically rush the passer, and are NOT adept at coverage, so then you have to put ILB to play there, and they are usually not as athletic as they need to be, because they are 3-4 ILB's and not 4-3 OLB's. Which is the issue when playing a hybrid. you have a bunch of guys doing stuff they are not all that well suited to do. And, it shows in our case.

Which leads back to putting our OLB as 4-3 DE's. It's ok, if you have one guy that wieghs around 260-270 on the weak side, over the LT because that is your rush end. The strong side guy is usually closer to 290-300 and is stout, not 270 pound Ryan Kerrigan. So you have everyone basically playing in a position they are not well suited to. And.............................you suck.

I've liked most of the pass rushers the Skins have acquired over the years, but I think they caused themselves some trouble trying to get rush guys at both OLB spots.  I'm pretty sure some 3-4 teams have done that, like the Steelers(I think Dom Capers liked it over all) but a lot more basically have one linebacker who rushes 90% of the time or more.

14 minutes ago, carex said:

I've liked most of the pass rushers the Skins have acquired over the years, but I think they caused themselves some trouble trying to get rush guys at both OLB spots.  I'm pretty sure some 3-4 teams have done that, like the Steelers(I think Dom Capers liked it over all) but a lot more basically have one linebacker who rushes 90% of the time or more.

What the Steelers did for years would be to rush both, and then drop a DL into zone coverage, basically they invented the zone blitz. The 3-4 has an advantage because you don't know which side the pressure is naturally coming from, as it can come from either the left or right side. But it's shaky in run defense. The 4-3 is more predictible, because your "rush end" is coming from the OL left side (which is why the LT is there) and the RDE is more of a run stopper, but more stout in run defense. Obviously this is "base" for either defense, with no blitzing. Now, when you start to do stuff like a 4-3 over and other "hybrid" front sevens is you get guys out of their comfort zone. Also, it's even more difficult to find guys that have the athletic ability to switch schemes than it is to play a standard NFL defense, and it's already pretty damn hard to find guys.

The other issue with the 3-4 is the Nose. NT, or NG, call it what you will, but that might be the single most difficult position in football to find a good one in. A 330-350 pound man that can handle 2 300+ pound men, and still move athletically.

Historically, we've been much better with the 4-3 over the 3-4. It's easier to find personnel for a 4-3 defense as well. I'd really like to switch back to it, and the sooner the better.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Dogs, cats and pigeons are all called one name in my household. "Food items". And trust me, NO ONE is breaking into my house!

Well, I was actually referring to our defense sucking. Kinda jealous about the luge lessons though. For me it was just sledding......in Siberia. With fish tied to us so the Stellar's Sea Eagles (seriously, google them) would attack us. Probably why I don't like most pets. ;)

Hey Zeus!!! I think you just found a Thunderbird!!

314981DC00000578-3449723-image-a-1_14556

12 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

True but for every major FA there are at least 7 teams vying for their services and they're all gonna be in better shape than us in same way or another - whether financially, stability etc.

So our reason not to get them is other teams are trying to?  That would be a pretty poor attitude for a competitive NFL franchise.  Plus, the assertion that they're all gonna be in better shape is I think incorrect, as in order to go after the same players the team must already be A. Weak at the position and B. With a lot of cap space, two signs of a bad team.

Archived