Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I can't believe some Skins fans on this forum are saying we have signed 2 below average DL, they haven't even put on a Redskins uniform yet . Give the guys at chance. It's not just Baker we have to replace on the DL it's also RJF and Hood, so let's say we have replaced them 2 with our new signings and we will get our new NT either in FA or early in the draft. I'm saying RJF because he was starting at the end of last year. 

HTTR 

You really don't see how this is exactly in line with what we've done the last couple years? RJF, Paea, Hood, Knighton, Reyes- how did any of them turn out? Sure, we can hold out hope that Tomsula is a DL whisperer, but going by every bit of physical and statistical measurement, we picked up two below average players. And as it's been said many times, this is a terrible NT class, no 1st rounders, so holding out hope to find the fix there isn't recommended.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

When you're at the bottom, there is only one way to go!

We worked all offseason and bled and sweated and when it was all said and done we remained on the bottom. Hahaha more then one direction to go when your at the bottom, you can stay there by repeating the same **cough, cough** signing cheap defensive linemen year after year instead of quality players **cough, cough** mistakes over and over and over and over and over again.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY

Been there done that, didn't work last time but hey maybe **cough, cough** it will this time

52 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

What part of "as of today" did you not understand? I realize you can't "fix" a team solely through free agency, but when the defense was as atrocious as it was you would hope that the tree agent's you added would help improve the defensive woes. It hasn't as of TODAY. 

As of today, we haven't played a down. I'm so over winning the off season and looking good on paper.

4 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

I'm taking the approach that a certain former radio legend here in DC used to say the fans shouldn't concern themselves with the money a GM or owner wants to pay a player..

Does that include not concerning themselves with what the experts think?

1 minute ago, RVAskins said:

As of today, we haven't played a down. I'm so over winning the off season and looking good on paper.

Oh my God. I'm not talking about "winning the offseason!"

I'm asking to add ONE legitimate impactful DL'man for once! These thrift store bargains the last several years are THE reason our defense sucks! It still sucks!

1 minute ago, carex said:

how about you spend a little less time speaking for others, hmm? McClain was an unheralded part of the top rushing D.  Baker was good, but he was the third best guy on a D that sucked

I'll continue speaking for you as long as you talk this nonsense. Not one stat, not one ranking, nothing had McClain ranked anywhere near Baker. It's not my opinion, it's reality. We're comparing two players and you bring in total team defense stats. Just poor. 

3 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

I'm taking the approach that a certain former radio legend here in DC used to say the fans shouldn't concern themselves with the money a GM or owner wants to pay a player..

theoretically I don't.  But I also know we need several players

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

We worked all offseason and bled and sweated and when it was all said and done we remained on the bottom. Hahaha more then one direction to go when your at the bottom, you can stay there by repeating the same **cough, cough** signing cheap defensive linemen year after year instead of quality players **cough, cough** mistakes over and over and over and over and over again.

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY

Been there done that, didn't work last time but hey maybe **cough, cough** it will this time

Josh Norman last year showed that philosophy only does so much

Just now, CTskin said:

When the best response to all of this has been "I'll reserve judgement until I after I see them play," you know they realize the unfortunate reality, they just don't want to admit it.

On the other side of the ball, Pryor is an absolute stud. I'd really like the signing if it wasn't only a one year deal, but in this case I'd much prefer Pryor @$8M to DJax&Garcon @$23M. I don't guarantee much, but barring health and assuming Kirk is the QB, he's going to finish up 2017 with 1,500 yards and 10+TDs and will be regarded as a top tier WR. 

Really like the Pryor signing too.  If he and Doctson help to improve our red zone offense, that'll help with the defense too.  If we're scoring more than we did last year, I think it's fair to assume we'll have the lead for a good percentage of each game, which means the other team will have to throw more than run (they won't be able to attack our weakness).  Because unless we have an awesome draft or pick up any more key free agents, I don't think our run D will be significantly better than last year.

26 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

'Bama's Tomlinson in the 2/3rd if you're after one. 

Best 1 tech in the entire class and it's not even close. 

Hail. 

So what you are saying is that there isn't much in the draft that is going to help us at that position. My thoughts exactly.

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

There is quite a bit of quibbling about Baker.  Some think he was overrated.  I thought he was a piece that we should've kept instead of swapping him out.  

The problem that I see is that people are forgetting how awful we were on defense last year.  For us to compete for the types of things we want, we need/needed to get demonstrably better on defense.  We need/needed the kinds of moves in FA/draft that would make sure that every segment in the preseason was about all the upgrades we made on defense. 

Swearinger and two average DL might take our defense from messy **** to solid turd, but that doesn't move the needle for me.  Hopefully the draft will bring us some defensive studs.  

I agree.  I wanted us to keep Baker.  He was affordable and provided solid play for us last year.  I just think he was a fan favorite, but maybe not a favorite of the FO.  Baker isn't shy about voicing his opinion and I'm guessing he probably said something that rubbed one of our execs the wrong way.  Why else would we let our best Dlineman go when everybody and their mother knows our Dline is our biggest weakness?  What we should have done is kept Baker AND signed the two guys that we did.

This is the last I will say on Chris Baker and this apparent stud we lost. Here are some stats for a little bit of discussion to see if it matters.

Chris Baker

Snaps Played-783 0 on special teams

Sacks-3.5

Tackles-47

Terrell McClain

Snaps Played-471 68 on special teams

Sacks-2.5

Tackles-40

Stacy McGee

Snaps Played-220 39 on special teams

Sacks-2.5

Tackles-17

So with the stats presented tell me again where Chris Baker is this piece that cannot be replaced with these guys. The production out of McClain alone matches or exceeds Baker's based on snap count alone. McGee is more of a question mark but to me that shows he has the ability to get to the passer with limited snaps. Baker also has zero snaps on special teams where as these guys do. I am not saying these guys are all world because they are simply not. What I am saying is that Baker's production was not that eye popping no matter how you try to spin it from what expert you want to pull from. Should we add more DL pieces? Absolutely! But is  missing Chris Baker going to disable the D-Line which was horrid to begin with? Not one bit.

This might be unpopular, but the best part of Baker's game was his nickname.  I liked him.  He was fine.  He's JAG.  Now, he was OUR JAG, and had personality, and there is something about that which is special.

He was good for a play here and there.  He also wasn't a nose. 

I'm sad he's gone.  But, eh.  I'm not going to complain about it too much. 

The entire defense was awful. He didn't do a lot to make it better.  Maybe it's somebody elses turn. 

53 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

Was this before or after the salary cap?

13 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

For any local Tar Heels fans .....

Dallas have picked up guard Jonathan Cooper on a 1 year deal. (7th overall in 2013.). 

Looks ideal to slide in at LG and flip Collins out to RT in a seamlessly ongoing stud OL situation. 

****ERS!

Hail. 

Personally, I'm disappointed we don't bring in several guys for LG to duke it out. At this point, they seem content with sticking with Lavauo or handing it to Arie.  But we'll see what happens.

35 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Chris Baker

Snaps Played-783 0 on special teams

Sacks-3.5

Tackles-47

Terrell McClain

Snaps Played-471 68 on special teams

Sacks-2.5

Tackles-40

Stacy McGee

Snaps Played-220 39 on special teams

Sacks-2.5

Tackles-17

So with the stats presented tell me again where Chris Baker is this piece that cannot be replaced with these guys. The production out of McClain alone matches or exceeds Baker's based on snap count alone. McGee is more of a question mark but to me that shows he has the ability to get to the passer with limited snaps. Baker also has zero snaps on special teams where as these guys do. I am not saying these guys are all world because they are simply not. What I am saying is that Baker's production was not that eye popping no matter how you try to spin it from what expert you want to pull from. Should we add more DL pieces? Absolutely! But is  missing Chris Baker going to disable the D-Line which was horrid to begin with? Not one bit.

Solid stat pull, much appreciated. But, the issue isn't about replacing Baker as much as it is who we've brought in. These two guys cost $10M/yr. We could have gotten a guaranteed upgrade, top tier NT for that money. Instead we have two players whose stats need to be extrapolated assuming perfect health, in order to be about as good as Baker... It just seems like a lot of money poorly spent for what the options were.

Archived