Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Just now, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Have we even been connected to Hankins at all? I haven't seen anything, I'm not sure why everyone has their hopes up about landing him

right now i'd be happy if something leaked that linked us to warren sapp, give me some hope that we're bringing a premier big boy to play in the defensive trenches

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Pretty good post by @SkinsTillIDie, but using the Patriots as an example of going for quantity over quality is laughable.  97% of HCs/DCs around the league are incapable of replicating what Belichick and Patricia are able to scheme up every week with that defensive roster.  It's why the best ILB on the market, Hightower, is still out there without a deal and is likely to return to the Patriots. They can forgo overpaying for elite defenders because they are able to lean on the mind of Belichick scheme-wise week to week, and able to lean on the GOAT QB in Brady, playing with a lead much more often than most defenses are able to.

What do you think Manusky would do with that defensive roster?

Who knows. By all accounts, even Joe Berry's schemes were "too complicated" for our apparently stupid players. To a large degree, the Pats prize intelligence over athleticism, which is why they let their best athlete (Collins) go and got more sound.

Back in 2015, the Pats signed a 31-year old Alan Branch to a 2-year, $4.3 million deal. If we made the same move this offseason, people would be flipping **** that we're signings "retreads" "on the wrong side of 30." So cheap!

Raiders fans loved McGee, Cowboys fans loved McClain, both just about to enter their primes. But what do they know? I'm sure WalterFootball knows best.

Fans think since the offense was top 3 last year that it will repeat itself if you lose your QB.  That's completely further from the truth.  McCoy isn't Cousins.  Brady's backup isn't Cousins.  The guy sets franchise records in both of his first starting years and they let his two WR's go off in free agency...No problem.  Still have his #1 target, slot guy, and 2 replacement WR's.  Just might be able to repeat your performance with that considered.  However, you trade the QB in that system and it's over.  They've got to find a better guy or you're offense goes from top tier to middle of the pack and your offense can't win you any games. You'll be able to 'develop through the draft' then!

5 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

It's patently obvious he's looking at this as a 1 year stepping stone to a big payday with a better equipped team. 

Let's just hope it's a HELL of a one year. 

Hail. 

It will for the offense.  They'll lose for the same reason they did last year.  They've not changed anything and no drafted player is going to fix the problem at ILB, NT, DT.  Teams will continue to just run up the gut for 5 yds per carry.  Pathetic.

12 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Raiders fans loved McGee, Cowboys fans loved McClain, both just about to enter their primes. But what do they know? I'm sure WalterFootball knows best.

Cowboys fans where very split on McClain, And they were going nuts when they initially signed him for the ridiculously cheap sum of $3.5 million per year over 3 years I believe? (Something around that.). 

Now they shouldn't of been split. He performed great in Marinelli's rotation. But then I'd fancy my chances of looking half decent under arguably the greatest D-line coach of all time. And we don't run a 43. So it's gonna' be different having him as a 34 base LE. Which is presumably where he'll play. In that instance, you're losing on Baker in strength/ size and length. Again, no real fan of Baker but that can't be swerved. 

Don't know about the Raiders and McGee. Just know he wasn't much cop in Norman and spent as much time breaking rules as he did making any impactful plays. 

Hail. 

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Cowboys fans where very split on McClain, And they were going nuts when they initially signed him for the ridiculously cheap sum of $3.5 million per year over 3 years I believe? (Something around that.). 

Guess we should be "going nuts" that we're paying him the "ridiculously cheap sum" of $3.75 million this year against the cap.

2 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Now they shouldn't of been split. He performed great in Marinelli's rotation. But then I'd fancy my chances of looking half decent under arguably the greatest D-line coach of all time.

The greatest D-line coach of all time! LOL. Marinelli is one of the best D-line coaches in the league, yes. Good thing we have one of the best D-line coaches in the league ourselves in Jim Tomsula.

7 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

And we don't run a 43.

We play with 4 down linemen 70% of the time.

Dallas Morning News:

"McClain would be a big loss to the defensive line... McClain was an unsung hero for the Cowboys defense in 2016. He led linemen with 41 tackles, but also got a good push up the middle of the pocket (2.5 sacks, nine pressures). He also had three tackles for loss... Losing McClain could be more than the loss of a productive interior linemen; it could be a domino effect for the rest of the linemen. McClain was a critical component of the D-line rotation."

Enough with the hot takes, eh?

8 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Enough with the hot takes, eh?

Excuse me? I don't 'hot take' anything outside of my own opinion. And I'm pretty darn invested in the Cowboys for personal reasons to have a pretty darn good take on what's going on down there and what the feeling is. 

Is this where we get into a pissing contest and I put up various articles and tweets in kind? (Aside from the fact you just reiterated what I said about McClain being a major part of heir D-line rotation.). He's not an upgrade on Baker where we'll play him. 

Your (apparent Redskin-centric) views on Marinelli I just can't be bothered with a back and forth over. 

Hail. 

30 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Fans think since the offense was top 3 last year that it will repeat itself if you lose your QB.

Who thinks that? There's a reason the vast majority of us want to sign Cousins long-term, and it's not because we think McCoy could do the job. 

30 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Who knows. By all accounts, even Joe Berry's schemes were "too complicated" for our apparently stupid players. To a large degree, the Pats prize intelligence over athleticism, which is why they let their best athlete (Collins) go and got more sound.

Back in 2015, the Pats signed a 31-year old Alan Branch to a 2-year, $4.3 million deal. If we made the same move this offseason, people would be flipping **** that we're signings "retreads" "on the wrong side of 30." So cheap!

Really? http://www.scout.com/nfl/raiders/forums/5427-forum/15443859-stacy-mcgee?page=2

raiderjohn622: "5 years 25 million from the Redskins."

Darksince82: "The redskins have lost their goddamn mind"
dcraider34: "Unreal.  Interested to see the guarantees."
dcraider34: "They also let Chris Baker go to TB for just a hair more than they gave McGee.  Baker is absolutely the better player.  Makes no sense.   Horrible organization."
raiderjohn622: "The funny part, around camp time last year, he was interviewed and said that he realized his contract was about to end.  That's why he worked the most he ever had last offseason....earned a starting job out of camp....but after he said that I was like....last year in a Raider uniform....Reggie knows.....Reggie knows......he did good though, I mean 5 million per is not chump change......class act on the way out as well."
4thringtime: 5 million and Baker got 6 WTF?
Nassimthedream: Reggie looks like the smart one so far
fad80: He played how many games at 100% for us last year? Like 5?

I haven't even looked at the Dallas forums yet. 

Suffice it to say, quite a few Raiders fans think we're crazy for the deal we gave McGee.

6 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Not this year, he is 36 and will turn 37 in October.  He also had the lowest production in his career last year on a team without Megatron and played all 16 games.  The FSU fan in me wants to say yes, but that aside I still think we would be best to stay away.  We have a vet in Davis that can help teach the younger receivers how to be pros.  

I'd take his 8 TD's from last year over anything Grant has to offer. 

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

You pay for the future, you dont pay for what you have done.  

We've been doing that for years with DL, how many have hit? Actually we've been signing various role players across all positions for years, paying them for what we hoped they'd become for us rather than for what they'd done so far. How often has it worked? We've done pretty well paying full price for good players in recent years, when we've done it. But our speculative off-season signings have yielded how many over-achievers? Vernon Davis? Who we promptly overpaid after one year? 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We've been doing that for years with DL, how many have hit? Actually we've been signing various role players across all positions for years, paying them for what we hoped they'd become for us rather than for what they'd done so far. How often has it worked? We've done pretty well paying full price for good players in recent years, when we've done it. But our speculative off-season signings have yielded how many over-achievers? Vernon Davis? Who we promptly overpaid after one year? 

Considering his age, and he's from the area and not getting a home town discount? I'm not sure how Allen explains that to Cousins when talking about "overpaying". :rofl89:

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Really? http://www.scout.com/nfl/raiders/forums/5427-forum/15443859-stacy-mcgee?page=2

raiderjohn622: "5 years 25 million from the Redskins."

Darksince82: "The redskins have lost their goddamn mind"
dcraider34: "Unreal.  Interested to see the guarantees."
dcraider34: "They also let Chris Baker go to TB for just a hair more than they gave McGee.  Baker is absolutely the better player.  Makes no sense.   Horrible organization."
raiderjohn622: "The funny part, around camp time last year, he was interviewed and said that he realized his contract was about to end.  That's why he worked the most he ever had last offseason....earned a starting job out of camp....but after he said that I was like....last year in a Raider uniform....Reggie knows.....Reggie knows......he did good though, I mean 5 million per is not chump change......class act on the way out as well."
4thringtime: 5 million and Baker got 6 WTF?
Nassimthedream: Reggie looks like the smart one so far
fad80: He played how many games at 100% for us last year? Like 5?

I haven't even looked at the Dallas forums yet. 

Suffice it to say, quite a few Raiders fans think we're crazy for the deal we gave McGee.

Wait, you're really quoting people who don't even know how much McGee is getting paid? He's costing us $3.19 million against the cap. Less than Ricky Jean Francois.

Dennis Allen called him a "foundational piece." He was arguably the Raiders' most impactful lineman last year. As one of a 4 man rotation, he has value. He's an upgrade over RJF -- younger, more impactful, higher upside, little risk. We're not done on the D-line.

And to piggyback off your post -- http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/3/9/14874616/nfl-free-agency-tracker-all-raiders-free-agents-hit-market-wish-list-players-still-available

Do a CTRL-F for "McGee" -- every fan wanted him back, but scoffed at the "$5 million per" headline pricetag. Which, as it turns out, was overstated. (as it usually is.)

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Excuse me? I don't 'hot take' anything outside of my own opinion. And I'm pretty darn invested in the Cowboys for personal reasons to have a pretty darn good take on what's going on down there and what the feeling is. 

Is this where we get into a pissing contest and I put up various articles and tweets in kind? (Aside from the fact you just reiterated what I said about McClain being a major part of heir D-line rotation.). He's not an upgrade on Baker where we'll play him. 

Your (apparent Redskin-centric) views on Marinelli I just can't be bothered with a back and forth over. 

Hail. 

Your "hot takes" are ideas that are easily refuted.

Re: my "Redskins-centric" views - you're having a laugh mate. You can go through my posts in this thread, I'm on record for strongly advocating for signing Bennie Logan before the season ended. I'm just not going to judge our 2017 offseason until, you know, after it's over.

We could draft defensive BPA in the 1st (maybe DL Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas falls? DL Malik McDowell? CB Marlon Humphries? CB Quincy Wilson?), S Desmond King (Iowa) or DL Caleb Brantley (Florida) or LB Raekwon McMillan (Ohio State) in the 2nd, DL DeMarcus Walker (FSU) or DL Jaleel Johnson (Iowa) or DL Eddie Vanderdoes (UCLA) or FS Eddie Jackson (Alabame) in the 3rd, DL Dalvin Tomlinson (Alabama) or EDGE Daeshon Hall (Texas A&M) or S Marcus Maye (Florida) or LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin (Tennessee) with our 2 picks in the 4th --

and suddenly our defense looks radically different, eh?

Get back to me in August. Maybe you can read up on George Perles and Fritz Shurmur til then.

Hail.

I was under the impression the discussion was centered around feelings about our free agent pick ups this far.  

Obviously we all share fandom of the Redskins and would prefer to get whatever legitimate players we can that are still available.

But to this point, there is nothing impressive about what we've done.  I obviously hope these guys pan out but as so many have said before, this isn't our first time picking up guys like this that contributed to our putrid defensive efforts for years.  

Just now, panahoo said:

I hate cats... 

:)

My opinion is better than yours. I'm invested in cats and know a whole lot more than you do. Get back to me in August when you've had a cat and realized just how terribly wrong you are!

7 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Your "hot takes" are ideas that are easily refuted.

Except you didn't. 

You just gave your opinion. In an arrogant and condescending manner. To say nottin' about you going off on a tangent presuming someone has 'judged' our offseason because you happen to disagree on 2 acquisitions.

Disagreeing is one thing. Being a dick is a whole other and not a good look to carry around.

I shall just smile and wave at your attempt to school me on football history.

Hail. 

Archived