Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

We've been doing that for years with DL, how many have hit? 

cant even hit with a couple of probowlers either..

redskinsfront98cos-1.jpg

2 hours ago, carex said:

I've liked most of the pass rushers the Skins have acquired over the years, but I think they caused themselves some trouble trying to get rush guys at both OLB spots.  I'm pretty sure some 3-4 teams have done that, like the Steelers(I think Dom Capers liked it over all) but a lot more basically have one linebacker who rushes 90% of the time or more.

like Capers did with Greene

On 10-3-2017 at 11:13 PM, wilco_holland said:
wUd8ztUL_reasonably_small.jpg

Doubling back on that Terrelle Pryor contract, his $2M in incentives are considered Not Likely To Be Earned ...

huh What?! ? Does he need to win the league MVP? 100 receptions 1200 yards 10 TD's Pro Bowl. All does are possible if you ask me.

I was pretty damm close!

"To get the full $2 million (and to make the contract worth $8 million), Pryor needs to have 80 or more catches for 1,250 yards and 10 touchdowns. Based on his 2016 performance (77 catches, 1,007 yards, four touchdowns), Pryor would have made an extra $750,000.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/terrelle-pryors-full-incentive-package-requires-pretty-big-year/

56 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

man FA has dried up, this thread is dying, give us some life FO. There is even a picture of a snake and we haven't had a Bruce Allen comment to go with it. 

Optomistic call that today we bring someone in. :kickcan:

let's get back to our old school drama of the offseason ... not advocating signing any of these guys, but it surely would keep the thread alive

let's host the following:

Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson - now that is a backfield duo!!!!  (until they are both hurt in week 2)

Jay Cutler - Kirk, you think you can mess with this front office mother ****er!!!!!  we'll start him, don't mess with us

Mario Williams - he was the first pick in the draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Floyd - Scot's gone, he's safe to bring in now

Rolando McClain - He played at Alabama!!!!  plus he fits the new McDefense we're cooking up

that should keep us busy for a while

13 hours ago, justice98 said:

Personally, I'm disappointed we don't bring in several guys for LG to duke it out. At this point, they seem content with sticking with Lavauo or handing it to Aries.  But we'll see what happens.

Absolutely. Lamp is still my big want at 17. 

With the re-signing of Cooper, Dallas could have 5 first rounders across their O-Line if they chose to go that way. Given that La'el Collins was a sure fire top 10 draft pick before the shooting/ murder connection.  

Oh for that sort of all-out commitment to a key positional group huh?

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Absolutely. Lamp is still my big want at 17. 

With the re-signing of Cooper, Dallas could have 5 first rounders across their O-Line if they chose to go that way. Given that La'el Collins was a sure fire top 10 draft pick before the shooting/ murder connection.  

Oh for that sort of all-out commitment to a key positional group huh?

Hail. 

I agree with the logic.  Even more so after watching this round of FA -- O lineman getting nice pay days this off season even guards.  But with Scot gone and Jay seemingly goofing on the position with his version of all I got for Christmas (First round) is a guard in the last press conference of last season -- I wonder if this can be a possibility?  But thinking about it, Scot gave some hints last year that Ryan Kelly was within his sights and if so building the O line up even more was clearly on the radar.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with the logic.  Even more so after watching this round of FA -- O lineman getting nice pay days this off season even guards.  But with Scot gone and Jay seemingly goofing on the position with his version of all I got for Christmas (First round) is a guard in the last press conference of last season -- I wonder if this can be a possibility?  But thinking about it, Scot gave some hints last year that Ryan Kelly was within his sights and if so building the O line up even more was clearly on the radar.

I don't think theres a shot in hell of us going oline in the first few rounds if at all. Maybe one Dline, but I'm pretty sure this cast of clowns is going to stay on the parameters again.

I think we a pretty much done in free agency - I am sure we will end up with periphery players but in terms of sure-fire starters eyes start to look to the draft and mini-camp. I also hope we start thinking about extending a couple of guys. (other than the obvious) 

I don't think Breeland will be interested - seems more interested in recording rap videos - though DG28 is apparently doing some one on one with him this offseason - 

But I might start thinking about Mosses and Long fairly soon - before they become unaffordable. 

The issue i have with Dallas is investing in an offensive line is all well and good but pouring 1st round pick after pick after pick is not the way to go (as the Giants are proving - As Jonathan Cooper is proving - Yes he was a former 1st round pick (7th overall) but didn't stick with the Cardinals, didn't stick with the Patriots, didn't stick with the browns 1st round picks can bust out . 

I think we would be looking at Collins differently as well if he had been a 1st round pick - He has played in what - 14 games in the last two years?: He only played in 3 last season. 

Then you have another issue with attributing lots of draft resources at the offensive line and it is what happens if they DO pan out- Fredricks Smith and Martin are STUDS but Smiths contract was 97 million, Fredricks somewhere in the 54 million range and i would guess Martin would be looking for somewhere in the 60-70 million range overall for his contract when his time comes up - Thats a lot of money you have to fork out to keep those guys together (and a lot of guys you need to keep healthy) . - the alternative view is draft developmental guys on day 2 or 3 not with the view to start them right away but have a continual flow of guys coming through - and invest in the coaching .. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think theres a shot in hell of us going oline in the first few rounds if at all. Maybe one Dline, but I'm pretty sure this cast of clowns is going to stay on the parameters again.

I agree.  I was playing with what I'd do versus what they'd do.  But if we are focused on what they are likely going to do.  I'll just stick with what Scot implied to me and every beat reporter under the sun seems to say, they will go nuts on D line and defense.   And considering the position players they interviewed in the combine (heavy D line and corner) and Manusky talking up corner when asked about needs -- my thesis for their draft is they are going to heavy D line, corner, D line, corner.    Laconfora was the last guy I heard talking about this saying that the people he talks to at Redskins Park tell him they are going defense, defense, defense in FA and the draft.  Considering their light haul on defense so far in FA (unless it picks up) -- they pretty much IMO have to go nuts on defense in the draft

15 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

But I might start thinking about Mosses and Long fairly soon - before they become unaffordable. 

The issue i have with Dallas is investing in an offensive line is all well and good but pouring 1st round pick after pick after pick is not the way to go (as the Giants are proving - As Jonathan Cooper is proving - Yes he was a former 1st round pick (7th overall) but didn't stick with the Cardinals, didn't stick with the Patriots, didn't stick with the browns 1st round picks can bust out . 

I think we would be looking at Collins differently as well if he had been a 1st round pick - He has played in what - 14 games in the last two years?: He only played in 3 last season. 

The Cowboys and Raiders resurgence many say is driven by O line.  Tennessee, too.  Just to clarify, my personal favorite at the moment at #17 isn't Forrest Lamp. I've posted my favs multiple times on the draft thread, I've never thrown Lamp in that mix.  GHH is high on him.  And I was telling him I get his logic and that there is clear method to the madness of building a monster O line.   The fact that other teams have failed at finding O lineman makes the point that drives my thinking on the draft.  That is, draft BPA.  If your scouts tell you Forrest Lamp is the next Zach Martin and he's BPA, take him.  It doesn't matter that the Giants failed with some of their O line picks.    There are failures at every position.  O line is typically one of the safest positions to draft from a risk standpoint. It's the reason why you go BPA and that is to increase the odds you have a hit, regardless of what position they play. 

You IMO have to trust your scouting otherwise what's the point.  For me I want whomever they think is the BPA whether its Lamp, Howard, Charlton, Baker or whomever.   If BPA is close from player to player then you grab that one that fits the need -- but if a BPA guy stands out strongly over the next guy on your board, grab that guy IMO. 

Just now, carex said:

my timing might be off, didn't Greg LLoyd overlap with Greene in Pittsburgh?  I thought he was also  a rush guy

yep, you're right...I forgot all about Lloyd...Dunno how I did that...don't forget that Greene also had years with Dom at Carolina too...

/looking over Dom's 34s...he had some great ilb too...Sam Mills, Chad Brown... Kirkland...so that kinda helps your olb rushers...

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree.  I was playing with what I'd do versus what they'd do.  But if we are focused on what they are likely going to do.  I'll just stick with what Scot implied to me and every beat reporter under the sun seems to say, they will go nuts on D line and defense.   And considering the position players they interviewed in the combine (heavy D line and corner) and Manusky talking up corner when asked about needs -- my thesis for their draft is they are going to heavy D line, corner, D line, corner.    Laconfora was the last guy I heard talking about this saying that the people he talks to at Redskins Park tell him they are going defense, defense, defense in FA and the draft.  Considering their light haul on defense so far in FA (unless it picks up) -- they pretty much IMO have to go nuts on defense in the draft

It's weird to me that Manusky would overlook the ILB position when talking about needs on defense.  Considering the defensive success he had in SF can largely be attributed to Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, and Navarro Bowman, and the success Vic Fangio had after him can largely be attributed to Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, and Chris Borland, you would think that he would value having two stud ILBs more than he apparently does.  Heck, even two solid ILBs would be a good start.

The corners in SF were never that good, so I'm not sure where his obsession with them comes from.  Especially when our biggest rival, Dallas, is a run-heavy juggernaut. 

Also, McGee is athletic but probably has cardio issues. Can't pass rush at all. Can't shed. Limited impact. C minus player. "Poor man's Chris Baker" yay

in closing, both are stop gaps and can't win one on one.

So essentially he told us what us what we already know. 

Just now, KingGibbs said:

So Cooley did his film breakdown on McClain and McGee and it isn't pretty. Like I said. Our Dline sucked and it still sucks. Keep up with your delusions though.

Yep

I think it's crazy to expect much improvement 

I don't really like Cooley all that much, but can anyone remember the last time he was wrong about a player after doing a film breakdown on him?  He predicted all the moves we would make last season before we made them (e.g. Reyes, Bruton, Phillips, Fuller, etc.)

Cooley just did an extensive film study on the D lineman.  Yesterday he just touched on McGee a little.  He summed up the FA haul on D line as a D grade. In short, Cooley would be as negative as anyone on the board (sounds like more so) on what they've done on the D line so far.

McGee:  Cooley summed him up as a C minus player. He's a low volume play guy -- limited impact.  Poor man's Chris Baker. I thinks he looks out of shape weight wise for body so they need to monitor that.  He'd play nose.  He's a 2 down player, not a rush the passer guy.  He plays high, lacks suddeness. He tires easily.  He doesn't handle double teams well.  Bad footwork.  It wasn't hard to tell Cooley is unimpressed with him but he was trying to be polite.

McClain:  Cooley summed him up as a C + player.  He's more of a run stuffer versus pass rusher.   He says he plays hard with hustle, really good motor.  But he's undersized without much athleticism.  Plays with good leverage, and plays physical. Asset in the run game, below average in the passing game.   He sees him more as a role player than a full-time starter. 

He thinks the team desperately needs a D lineman who can win one on one match ups.  He sees neither guy as that type of player and both guys are injury prone.   He summed them up as just guys.  

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't really like Cooley all that much, but can anyone remember the last time he was wrong about a player after doing a film breakdown on him?  He predicted all the moves we would make last season before we made them (e.g. Reyes, Bruton, Phillips, Fuller, etc.)

Cooley isn't always right but he more often is on the money.  I recall him killing the Reyes signing when it went down.  Saying more or less this dude stinks.  He was on Bruton being a bust before the season started.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley just did an extensive film study on the D lineman.  Yesterday he just touched on McGee a little.

McGee:  Cooley summed him up as a C minus player. He's a low volume play guy -- limited impact.  Poor man's Chris Baker. I thinks he looks out of shape weight wise for body so they need to monitor that.  He'd play nose.  He's a 2 down player, not a rush the passer guy.  He plays high, lacks suddeness. He tires easily.  He doesn't handle double teams well.  Bad footwork.  It wasn't hard to tell Cooley is unimpressed with him but he was trying to be polite.

McClain:  Cooley summed him up as a C + player.  He's more of a run stuffer versus pass rusher.   He says he plays hard with hustle, really good motor.  But he's undersized without much athleticism.  Plays with good leverage, and plays physical. Asset in the run game, below average in the passing game.   He sees him more as a role player than a full-time starter. 

He thinks the team desperately needs a D lineman who can win one to one match ups.  He sees neither guy as that type of player and both guys are injury prone.   He summed them up as just guys.  

Cooley isn't always right but he more often is on the money.  I recall him killing the Reyes signing when it went down.  Saying more or less this dude stinks.

I'm not surprised....maybe now that GMSM is gone; we can find a talent evaluator who understands D-Line talent....make no mistake; these were GMSM's guys.

4 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm not surprised....maybe now that GMSM is gone; we can find a talent evaluator who understands D-Line talent....make no mistake; these were GMSM's guys.

Even playing along with this logic, is Scot holding Bruce and Alex Santos hostage where they are forced to go with his shopping list?   Also, don't know why Alex Santos is somehow irrelevant to this process?

Alex Santos job is pro scouting and free agency.  It's his primary job to make FA recommendations.  Scot is gone. Santos is still there.  If Santos has no clue what he wants in FA (even though that's his job) -- it would be super strange.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Even playing along with this logic, is Scot holding Bruce and Alex Santos hostage where they are forced to go with his shopping list?   Also, don't know what Zlex Santos is somehow irrelevant to this process?

Alex Santos job is pro scouting and pro free agency.  It's his primary job to make FA recommendations. 

I think they respect Scot's talent evaluation...plus the work was already done.....blame Santos all you want....I have no idea how much power he has.

I just know that GMSM's track record with the D-Line is atrocious.

12 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I think they respect Scot's talent evaluation...plus the work was already done.....blame Santos all you want....I have no idea how much power he has.

I just know that GMSM's track record with the D-Line is atrocious.

Santos' job is pro scouting, his main job is to recommend free agents.  When Scot was hired, he self-professed FA isn't his thing (He doesn't believe you build a team that way), he's a draft guy.    So yeah considering Scot is out of the building and Santos is still there -- I think its pretty intuitive that the man whose job is mainly FA is actually heavily involved in FA. 

Archived