Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Any educated guesses on why we haven't setup a meeting with Zach Brown?

While many of us remain skeptical on the new additions to the Dline, at least they made some moves.  We also went and got a safety, whether he fits or not remains to be seen, but its somebody.  Right here today we are looking at going into the season with Beavis and Butthead in the middle again.  I realize there is still a draft to be held, but who sticks out as someone who can jump right in and lead the defense?

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't really like Cooley all that much, but can anyone remember the last time he was wrong about a player after doing a film breakdown on him?  He predicted all the moves we would make last season before we made them (e.g. Reyes, Bruton, Phillips, Fuller, etc.)

He was really high on Stephen Paea after we signed him and he did a film breakdown that didn't turn out too well.  

16 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

He was really high on Stephen Paea after we signed him and he did a film breakdown that didn't turn out too well.  

FWIW, the Cowboys beat guys think they've upgraded on McClain with Paea. 

But then Marinelli had him his first two year in Chicago and was apparently banging on the table for them to bring him in this FA. 

Hail. 

32 minutes ago, The Sean and Laron show said:

So what off the couch fringe talent free agent will we count on for significant snaps this year?

in '15 it was Will Blackmon

in '16 it was Ziggy Hood

Cant wait for final cuts so we can plug up some of these major holes that have plagued us for years <_<

Will Blackmon was an off the street free agent signing made during the season because of injuries.  That's a totally different thing

11 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

But then Marinelli had him his first two year in Chicago and was apparently banging on the table for them to bring him in this FA. 

Hail. 

Dallas doesn't have the greatest history of talent evaluation when it comes to low to mid range Free Agents.

Let us not forget that our pro scouts didnt depart when Scot did. They were here before him and still remain. And while we've had some misses I think we've actually been decent in our player acquisitions with Scot Campbell and Alex Santos. I know this won't be a popular opinion but no team is perfect with their FA signings and I think had we had better drafting to supplement their signings they would look even better.

The biggest positive is that we no longer have crippling dead money on the books when the bad signings we do make don't pan out. We're using free agency like we're supposed to: filling out your roster, special teams, a few boom or bust young guys who might develop into more. The unfortunate reality is that the majority of free agents are fools gold. 

The big contracts we do dish out we're making sure are good players who are in their primes (Desean, Norman, Pierre) and letting them walk when they hit 30 y/o to let another team experience their decline (Desean, Pierre, Baker) 

This is how we've always wanted the team to operate and now suddenly everyone wants to crucify the team because they don't recognize the names of the D-Lineman we signed. We developed Chris Baker, no reason to think we can't do so again with Lanier or one of the new guys. 

The Giants going all in last offseason trying to capitalize on Eli's closing window of opportunity shouldn't make everyone want to revert back to being kings of the offseason...

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/30546/redskins-running-out-of-cap-room-but-could-create-more

The Redskins still want to sign another defensive lineman, which is why they hosted Bennie Logan last weekend. But he signed with Kansas City on a one-year deal worth $7.7 million. They are interested in linebackers as well, though they have not been connected with any names as of yet. One league source said the Redskins, along with a handful of teams, had expressed interest in Miami linebacker Jelani Jenkins, an outside linebacker in a 4-3 who would shift inside in a 3-4. But to what degree the Redskins were interested remains uncertain as teams call on a lot of players. Visits and offers connote true interest.

The Redskins also will seek defensive help in the draft. It’s considered a deep draft for defensive players, though more so with pass-rushers (always needed) and defensive backs.

16 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

The Giants going all in last offseason trying to capitalize on Eli's closing window of opportunity shouldn't make everyone want to revert back to being kings of the offseason...

Steve Czaben summed it up well for me recently he used to subscribe to the idea of go after 2nd-3rd tier FAs but based on recent observations (including the Giants) it seems that the bigger pay off in FA is getting marquee guys not the 2nd-3rd tier fliers on the cheap or medium level contracts.  If you are going to spend lets say 20 million in FA -- its better to sign 2 players who are studs then 6 players who have never been studs but you hope they will surprise.

We paid a ton for John Norman. And he's awesome.  Yeah he's just one guy but would we rather have him or would we rather have Paea, J. Johnson, Reyes, Hood, Bruton, A. Roberts combined?   Norman versus signing 6 players addressing all those needs?  What convinced me is arguing this point on behalf of Scot and looking at the NY Giants among other teams and studying their FA signings.  The Giants bomb left and right with these flier 2nd-3rd tier FA signings as most teams do.  People blamed Scot for not succeeding with guys like Reyes but IMO its not Scot's fault -- all teams mostly bomb with these type of signings.  If there is fault its in the approach IMO.  

Back to the Giants, last off season, their approach seemed to be screw it, lets not play around we know for example that Harrison is a stud.  Yeah we got to pay up but its better to do so then take a flier and a leap and a prayer on another unestablished player.  I doubt the Giants regret the Harrison signing and would trade it for our combination of Bruton, Reyes, Hood. 

2 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Hail. 

The Cowboys beat guys are glorified cheerleaders. The exact opposite of the Skins beat guys.

I think I'm okay if we stay put as far as free agency goes until after the draft. I do want to fill some holes with homegrown guys (rather than another flurry of "Plan B free agents" type of guys... if for no other reason than I want someone with higher potential on the line even if that also means a higher bust potential. 

I figure the top picks are already plucked for the most part so instead of settling let's see how the draft plays out. If the draft doesn't play out in our favor, the tier 2/3 guys will likely still be there.

Not trying is not an option, If we accept that players are who they are and stop projecting that somehow when they come to us that's gonna make them something they aren't and instead zero in on what these men can do well and target that ability we will be okay. Its the thinking that these men aren't who they really are that's causing us so many free agency failures

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think I'm okay if we stay put as far as free agency goes until after the draft. I do want to fill some holes with homegrown guys (rather than another flurry of "Plan B free agents" type of guys... if for no other reason than I want someone with higher potential on the line even if that also means a higher bust potential. 

I figure the top picks are already plucked for the most part so instead of settling let's see how the draft plays out. If the draft doesn't play out in our favor, the tier 2/3 guys will likely still be there.

Almost with you 100% but with two exceptions

1. Trades - Not talking about being donkeys and trading Kirk, I would not do that. But I am talking about looking at other teams players and the possibility of possibly moving a draft pick for some vets who may help us.

2. RBs - Almost every NFL team today can use a RB or better backup RB then they got now. Lots of vets out there not getting looks because all the teams are waiting for the NFL draft before signing some vets. Those backs will be picked up once the draft is done. If we do the same I think it will cost us more then if we hired someone now.

I'd also love to see us not wait until July to sign Kirk but rather do it quickly.

41 minutes ago, carex said:

signing big name guys

They're smarter about it now.  Signing DJax and Norman would say it's not a terrible thing as long as you sign the right people.

Outside of Haynesworth, their hit rate on big name guys hasn't been bad in the last 15 years.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Steve Czaben summed it up well for me recently he used to subscribe to the idea of go after 2nd-3rd tier FAs but based on recent observations (including the Giants) it seems that the bigger pay off in FA is getting marquee guys not the 2nd-3rd tier fliers on the cheap or medium level contracts.  If you are going to spend lets say 20 million in FA -- its better to sign 2 players who are studs then 6 players who have never been studs but you hope they will surprise.

We paid a ton for John Norman. And he's awesome.  Yeah he's just one guy but would we rather have him or would we rather have Paea, J. Johnson, Reyes, Hood, Bruton, A. Roberts combined?   Norman versus signing 6 players addressing all those needs?  What convinced me is arguing this point on behalf of Scot and looking at the NY Giants among other teams and studying their FA signings.  The Giants bomb left and right with these flier 2nd-3rd tier FA signings as most teams do.  People blamed Scot for not succeeding with guys like Reyes but IMO its not Scot's fault -- all teams mostly bomb with these type of signings.  If there is fault its in the approach IMO.  

Back to the Giants, last off season, their approach seemed to be screw it, lets not play around we know for example that Harrison is a stud.  Yeah we got to pay up but its better to do so then take a flier and a leap and a prayer on another unestablished player.  I doubt the Giants regret the Harrison signing and would trade it for our combination of Bruton, Reyes, Hood. 

We hardly ever were signing studs.  We were signing over the hill guys that USED to be studs (Deion, Bruce Smith), or guys that were never studs in the first place (Archuleta, Randle El).  

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They're smarter about it now.  Signing DJax and Norman would say it'seems not a terrible thing as long as you sign the right people.

Outside of Haynesworth, their hit rate on big name guys hasn't been bad in the last 15 years.

We hardly ever were signing studs.  We were signing over the hill guys that USED to go studs (Deion, Bruce Smith), or guys that were never studs in the first place (Archuleta, Randle El).  

That's good point.  The narrative about the Giants for example going all in for Eli with their signings implies that they signed older guys.  But nope they signed guys who are still on the rise not over the hill players.  

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

How many meetings has he taken so far?  I know he just got one set up today with the Raiders.  He might just be taking his time.

I was reading something about how his play dropped off quite a bit in the 2nd half of the season. So, it is fair to say that in his 4 years in the league, he has had 1/2 of a good season

2 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

Hightower staying in NE

4 yr-43 million.

i can see why we were never in the running. 

Nobody was to be fair. Went out and got his price then NE matched or probably came in slightly under to sign him up again. NE let the others waste time whilst they played fantasy football with the draft. 

Archived