Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

If this is the case, we are so ****ed.

Yea, I don't buy that this is the strategy. None of the current returning DL are even proven backups/rotational players. The incoming DL are at best rotational linemen, if they can even stay healthy and productive enough to be on the field.

There's no way that the strategy is to have a position coach 'coach up' a group of career journeymen, and a group of unproven, low round prospects. That's a recipe for having the worst DL in the history of the franchise, and that's saying a lot. 

Even if you go heavy DL in the draft, which is only a good idea if they are BPA, that's no solution. There are precious few 1-2 round grades on any 3-4 DT/DE who could land at 17 and below.  No way you can throw project draft prospects into the mix with this terrible group, and expect anything good. Especially with this group fronting our doormat ILB corps. 

So, there HAS to be a plan to add a major impact DT in Free Agency, which could instantly make this entire dire situation look better. 

27 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I doubt it's a mystery, Scott drank himself out of a job. Baker is immature and childish. He reminds me of one of my kids I don't allow to post on social media until I've vetted it properly. 

Just low class, but hey, him and captain crab legs are assembling a crew of high class pirates

BmecVQgIUAAppdh.png

4 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Yea, I don't buy that this is the strategy. None of the current returning DL are even proven backups/rotational players. The incoming DL are at best rotational linemen, if they can even stay healthy and productive enough to be on the field.

There's no way that the strategy is to have a position coach 'coach up' a group of career journeymen, and a group of unproven, low round prospects. That's a recipe for having the worst DL in the history of the franchise, and that's saying a lot. 

Even if you go heavy DL in the draft, which is only a good idea if they are BPA, that's no solution. There are precious few 1-2 round grades on any 3-4 DT/DE who could land at 17 and below.  No way you can throw project draft prospects into the mix with this terrible group, and expect anything good. Especially with this group fronting our doormat ILB corps. 

So, there HAS to be a plan to add a major impact DT in Free Agency, which could instantly make this entire dire situation look better. 

You hope so, but the situation is this: There are only 2 guys out there, and neither have plans to visit. As as already noted, there really isn't a top tier NT in the draft, at all. Unless there is a very big change, and soon we're going to be worse than last year defensively.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

A week into free agency, is the #Redskins defensive line better or worse than it was last season? I'd say worse. They need to add a stud.

22 replies5 retweets17 likes

Leave it to Pauslen. There really isnt a whole lot worse than what we saw on the DL last year. It's not like we just let JJ Watt and Gerald Mccoy walk out the door.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Leave it to Pauslen. There really isnt a whole lot worse than what we saw on the DL last year. It's not like we just let JJ Watt and Gerald Mccoy walk out the door.

But he's right. And not only that, we have less depth to go with less talent.

According to people with knowledge of the decision-making, the Redskins have not ruled out making overtures to Johnathan Hankins or Dontari Poe, two of the more attractive defensive linemen remaining on the free agent market.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/15/redskins-release-de-rick-jean-francois-re-up-ziggy-hood-vinston-painter/?utm_term=.d00d9c3208aa

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

True.

However we replaced them John Doe and Who Cares.

Again. Mcclain was Dallas' best DL last year. You guys should really watch some tape. Has he had injury issues? Yes. But he is a better player than either RJF or Baker IMO. Just my worthless opinion though.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Again. Mcclain was Dallas' best DL last year. You guys should really watch some tape. Has he had injury issues? Yes. But he is a better player than either RJF or Baker IMO. Just my worthless opinion though.

He's also a 4-3 DT, not a NT. And it's really doubtful he is better than Baker, and certainly doubtful that he plays 16 games. Look at his history. 1 nice year and then............................nothing. At best he might be a decent DE for us, but his history says he wont play much.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

According to people with knowledge of the decision-making, the Redskins have not ruled out making overtures to Johnathan Hankins or Dontari Poe, two of the more attractive defensive linemen remaining on the free agent market.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/15/redskins-release-de-rick-jean-francois-re-up-ziggy-hood-vinston-painter/?utm_term=.d00d9c3208aa

Well thank God they haven't "ruled out" the two best DL currently available in free agency. 

The confidence is overwhelming 

(not directed at you of course) 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No offense, but I'm going to trust the opinion of someone like Cooley over you.

Hes not the end all, be all...but if there's one thing he's pretty good at is assessing the play of others. He says they pretty much blow.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hes not the end all, be all...but if there's one thing he's pretty good at is assessing the play of others. He says they pretty much blow.

Fair enough. Like I said my worthless opinion. But when he plays well lets hope your not talking him up in the game day thread.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

To be fair, he gave McClain credit for being a high motor guy and being able to move along the LoS well. But he's no NT, hopefully a upgrade at DE for us. McGee was a different story. Lazy and unathletic and has a lot of off the field issues.

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Well thank God they haven't "ruled out" the two best DL currently available in free agency. 

The confidence is overwhelming 

(not directed at you of course) 

I hope not ruling it out is upgraded to lets talk to these guys.  They have been on the market for awhile, I'd say the odds are good they might be in deep conversations with other teams already.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Fair enough. Like I said my worthless opinion. But when he plays well lets hope your not talking him up in the game day thread.

Wow, getting your nose bent out of shape much? :silly:

And when he blows, don't talk about how you said from day one he was a JAG. :P

Archived