Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Yea Swearinger is 100% legit. I think some aren't realizing the type of player he is. He had some growing pains in Houston but now is peaking and was a beast at the college level (like best player on the field some games). I love this signing. I think he will end up a fan favorite by mid season.

I love Swearinger, but my one concern... We have two safeties that run 4.6's and no true deep safety. I'm kind of confused on the game plan as we don't have a true 4.4 - 4.5 safety that will be able to recover and catch up if a speedy receiver decides to go deep and blow our doors off. 

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I love Swearinger, but my one concern... We have two safeties that run 4.6's and no true deep safety. I'm kind of confused on the game plan as we don't have a true 4.4 - 4.5 safety that will be able to recover and catch up if a speedy receiver decides to go deep and blow our doors off. 

we didnt really have that last year either. and we didnt really get beat deep much

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I wouldn't call 1 year - $8M overspending, especially when you have a gaping hole at that spot.  Do you think the Giants regret what they spent on Snacks?

$8 million is a lot for a run stopper who will be subbed out in a lot of our defensive looks. Snacks going into FA last year was still reaching his prime, Bennie is starting to wear down and has been banged up a bunch. I like the 1 year deal KC gave him because this is probably his last good year, but $8 mill no thanks. Give me Tomlinson from Bama in the 3rd-4th to anchor the line on running downs. 

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

We got beat deep a little more than i'm comfortable with, I think speed is the main problem with our defense. 

We got beat playing off a lot. and having holes in a soft zone with no passrush...Having two enforcer safties will make soft spots in the zone more imposing.

2 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

$8 million is a lot for a run stopper who will be subbed out in a lot of our defensive looks. Snacks going into FA last year was still reaching his prime, Bennie is starting to wear down and has been banged up a bunch. I like the 1 year deal KC gave him because this is probably his last good year, but $8 mill no thanks. Give me Tomlinson from Bama in the 3rd-4th to anchor the line on running downs. 

Did you forget how terrible we were against the run last year?  $8M on Logan is money well spent.  The Chiefs are smart enough to know how vital a premium NT is in the 3-4 defense.  It's why they signed Logan even though they had a replacement for Poe that is better than anyone we currently have.

And, I'm not sure how you figure Snacks was reaching his prime, but Logan isn't, when Logan is almost a full year younger.  That means they were both the same age when free agency hit.  Logan missed 3 games last year to injury.  Hardly "wearing down" or being "banged up a bunch".  You might want to look at our two recent FA additions on the DL if you want a good example of that.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Did you forget how terrible we were against the run last year?  $8M on Logan is money well spent.  The Chiefs are smart enough to know how vital a premium NT is in the 3-4 defense.  It's why they signed Logan even though they had a replacement for Poe that is better than anyone we currently have.

And, I'm not sure how you figure Snacks was reaching his prime, but Logan isn't, when Logan is almost a full year younger.  That means they were both the same age when free agency hit.  Logan missed 3 games last year to injury.  Hardly "wearing down" or being "banged up a bunch".  You might want to look at our two recent FA additions on the DL if you want a good example of that.

Bennie has missed some time in consecutive seasons I believe. It probably is schematically caused, but Logan was a much more impactful player 2 and 3 seasons ago than this past year. Teams realize that, indicated by his market and lack of long term commitment. Snacks was coming off a dominant year in which he led Nose Tackles in solo tackles by a mile. Bennie Logan - Solid NT. Snacks- Stud NT. 

Let's see how they handle this ~$30 mill in cap space that is available. If at the end of the draft our DL looks like this and there's still wiggle room with the cap? Then I am all for questioning wtf whoever in charge is thinking. We ignored DL last year, signed a couple decent bodies so far, no way we are done less than a week into FA. 

6 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

Bennie has missed some time in consecutive seasons I believe. It probably is schematically caused, but Logan was a much more impactful player 2 and 3 seasons ago than this past year. Teams realize that, indicated by his market and lack of long term commitment. Snacks was coming off a dominant year in which he led Nose Tackles in solo tackles by a mile. Bennie Logan - Solid NT. Snacks- Stud NT. 

Let's see how they handle this ~$30 mill in cap space that is available. If at the end of the draft our DL looks like this and there's still wiggle room with the cap? Then I am all for questioning wtf whoever in charge is thinking. We ignored DL last year, signed a couple decent bodies so far, no way we are done less than a week into FA. 

Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 did not play to Logan's strengths.  That was the primary reason for his decline.  We could have taken advantage of that and "bought low".  Instead, we bought high on McClain, who had a career season and stayed healthy in a contract year, which is a story we know the ending to all too well.

I agree that we may still have moves to make.  I really hope that's the case.  A lot of that hope would be lost if we let Hankins slip through our fingers.

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So Hankins will be looking for an 8mil average on a multi year deal. Not sure we'll dish that up. 

Wonder if if they will re think on Poe and take a chance on his knackered back if there is a short term cap friendly deal on offer.

If he stuffs the run, and collapses the pocket on passing downs, it's the best 8 million per year we can spend.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So Hankins will be looking for an 8mil average on a multi year deal. Not sure we'll dish that up. 

Wonder if if they will re think on Poe and take a chance on his knackered back if there is a short term cap friendly deal on offer.

Link please?

A 24yr old run stuffing DL is available. Why aren't we all over Johnathan Hankins? Sign him up what am I missing.  The logic to not is hey we can have someone 2-3 yrs younger and at a quarter of the cost that we draft. But the draft brings uncertainty, the first round is often 50/50 or worse on if you get it right.

This guy has started 41 games and has a 7 sack season under his belt from the DT position. Will turn 25 in a few weeks. 6-3 320lbs.

Seriously guys, what is not to like here?  given the slightly depressed DL market, couldnt we get him relatively cheap say 7-8 million for 4 yrs. or is he not worth it?

6 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

A 24yr old run stuffing DL is available. Why aren't we all over Johnathan Hankins? Sign him up what am I missing.  The logic to not is hey we can have someone 2-3 yrs younger and at a quarter of the cost that we draft. But the draft brings uncertainty, the first round is often 50/50 or worse on if you get it right.

This guy has started 41 games and has a 7 sack season under his belt from the DT position. Will turn 25 in a few weeks. 6-3 320lbs.

Seriously guys, what is not to like here?  given the slightly depressed DL market, couldnt we get him relatively cheap say 7-8 million for 4 yrs. or is he not worth it?

There is nothing not to like. Everything to love. I have no idea why we have not fueled up RS1 for him. He is absolutely what we need.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If this is the end of the FA haul, I'd give it a C, if they sign a major DT I'd bump it to a B plus.  I think the excitement by many at the end of last week was based on the assumption they'd sign a major DT FA.  If they ultimately don't, I think at best we can say the D line is just as bad now as it was at the start of FA, maybe worse.  If we said before FA -- we'd get McGee, McClain and lose Baker and probably Hood.  I don't think too many people would be jazzed.

I like Pryor but I don't think he's on his own is better than both D. Jax and Garcon combined.  I like Swearinger but he's not exactly the next Eric Berry.

A grade of a C from a Redskin fan probably should be bumped down a grade or two. If we are honest with ourselves we admit the Redskins blew 3 of the five major acquisitions or re-signings this week (Excluding Cousins which is incomplete imo). Davis, McGee and McClain were over paid by huge margins for each, Pryor and Swearinger were good though. So lets say a D over all. 

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

You would call spending $8 million on a dominant NT overspending?

I find that very odd.  Redskins fans said in the other 11 months of the year "We need to grab a dominant NT this year, it is the one most important position we need!".  Redskins fans in March "HOW IS IT WE SIGNED 4 PLAYERS AND NONE OF THEM WERE THE 1 PLAYER WE NEED".  There, fixed it.

Theres only two left, Hankins and Poe.  We NEED one of them.

It's almost as if there are other teams in the NFL also trying to improve their teams! 

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

A grade of a C from a Redskin fan probably should be bumped down a grade or two. If we are honest with ourselves we admit the Redskins blew 3 of the five major acquisitions or re-signings this week (Excluding Cousins which is incomplete imo). Davis, McGee and McClain were over paid by huge margins for each, Pryor and Swearinger were good though. So lets say a D over all. 

Let's take a step back and let things play out. Overpaid by huge margins? Did you see what Dion Sims is getting from Chicago? VD will see the field a ton and is basically a starter. Those contracts are average for each decent starter at the respective positions. We can't get a steal of a deal like we did with Pryor with every single guy we bring in, it just doesn't work that way. 

5 hours ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

I like Tomlinson and even touted him this thread.  But how we are going to ensure, he's ours, make a pact with other teams to stay away?  Sarcasm isn't directed at you but that's the problem of depending on targeting a player in the draft.

This draft (unlike some others) doesn't really have likely NT types as first round prospects.   I don't see a slew of surefire finds but a bunch of guys with potential. I like for example Qualls, too.  But I am not counting on them landing him nor is he weakness free.    As for people complaining IF (we all acknowledge, they still might do it) they don't sign one of the bonafide top tier DTs -- and if so lets just trust the process without signing one of the big players, etc.  The problem with that is we've seen that movie before, we call it the 2016 NFL season, the 2015 NFL season and it didn't end well -- not everyone is buying in that the third time's the charm.  You never know.  But I think the skepticism would be warranted.  And many of us can remember specific examples, many of us for example wanted L. Joseph years back as a FA, and the dude is a beast in Minny.

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I dont feel like the defense has improved yet.

IMO better at safety, little worst on D line.   At best marginally better.   The thing is I suspected they might ride with Compton and Foster under the theory that a big and improved D line would make them better players because they wouldn't have to take on as many guards pushing them around as they do now.   But at the moment the D line IMO is still treading water from last year and the MLBs are the same.  So I don't see how they've improved against the run at all.  Having said that its so obvious that I still expect them to make a couple of moves.  

I disagree with those who are satisfied or will trust the process if they stop their spending spree now and think yeah chill we will address the rest in the draft.  The draft for starters is a crap shoot -- statistically speaking that's even so in the first round.  I love the draft but its still a crap shoot.  In the draft essentially, you throw a whole bunch things against the wall, some stick, some don't.   It's part of the reason why you don't want to force a pick.  You want to go BPA.  Going with a BPA approach increases the odds you don't end up with a bust.  And if you have a big need (like most of us think we have at NT) counting on a hit in the draft is rolling the dice, especially if you are fishing in the 2nd-4th round for that position which is likely the sweet spot for NT. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/22/the-first-round-of-the-draft-remains-a-total-crapshoot/

“That’s always an interesting discussion and we talk about it all the time,” Dimitroff said. “What’s funny is we talk about that with quarterbacks but then when we start looking at positions that we’re interested in. We can look at interior D-lineman over the years or [pass] rushers or whoever they may be, and we all want to come up with this stat that says, ‘Wow, this is an easy pick.’ It’s not an easy pick in the first round.”

It’s not easy because it remains, at best, a flip-of-the-coin proposition.

“According to our most recent statistics that we drew on the first round, it’s less than 60 percent of those players that are starting,” Dimitroff said. “I think it may have come in at 56 percent. So point being it’s not an exact science, we know that. There are so many other things that are involved in it. The first step is finding out whether that player has the adept skills on the field, of course. Many other areas that we’re looking into to make sure they’re fits in the organization. [Do] they have the mental capacity, they have the character capacity, and the team element that a team is looking for? Again, you’d better have a plan for the guys who are a little bit wayward in their approach. That’s alway been a big discussion point as well.”

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

You're giving Skins fans to much credit

Archived