Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Logan gone damn it, another one off the list. Strange one year deal set-up, seems risky unless there's something amiss we don't know. Must have been an Andy Reid thing.

Let's see what we do next. If it's nothing then I will be disappointed. 

1 minute ago, Skins-in-CT said:

Not yet, apparently.  Looks like he is a UFA so technically he isn't on our roster.

no he's not but he's a street free agent who people's main claim is that he's not good enough.  That means he should be able to be re-signed quite easily

7 minutes ago, carex said:

He signed someplace else?  If so I missed it.

Realities of FA if he's not under contract with your team.  He's not yours.     But if your point is Hood isn't lost until he's signed elsewhere, fine. I'll change "lost" to not with the team.   It doesn't take anything away from my point, I'll reframe it:  Based on how the roster is at present time:  we got McGee, we got McClain, we don't have Baker, we don't have Hood.  We got some work to do on D line.  I don't look at the present D line and say to myself this D line is better than it was before.  If you disagree, that's cool.  But my point was just how I said, the D line isn't better IMO, and they need to sign an impact D lineman still.  I don't think that's some wild outlandish theory on my end. :)

Remember: Chris Baker is likely gone, Ked Golston's a UFA. So are Cullen Jenkins (not returning) and Ziggy Hood. Still need a lot. #Redskins

13 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Now Grant is acting like they are the Fearsome Foursome since they are all (potentially) gone.

Grant's point the way I take it is that you need some volume on D line because a bunch of guys might be gone and need to be replaced.  Personally, I am not married to resigning Ziggy Hood for example.  But if this off season in effect ends up being the third in a row where we haven't added a marquee name to the D line, color me skeptical that we will turn a new leaf on the D line.

Moving off of your post to go in a different direction.  We've seen the movie of well he's not a big name but Reyes was really good 2 years back he will rediscover that magic, or Denver didn't want Knighton anymore but we think he has something left.  Paea hasn't had a great career but he really came on during his last season, the dude is on the rise.   Cullen Jenkins in his heyday was good, he probably has something left.  

I like McGee and McClain signings if they are part of a bigger picture of adding a big name impact d lineman in that mix but if they end up the full calvary on D line -- color me unimpressed -- because it would seem like we are on that same rodeo on D line as the previous two off seasons.    Now if they sign Hankins along with those two, I'd dig that and dig it a lot.

Agreed...I hope they go ahead and get Hankins done after losing on Logan.  Knowing Bruce and his cheapness he'll go after Sen' Marks and a few recent cuts to get 2 less valuable bodies for the price of one.

What 3-4 D has been great without a stud NT?   Look at Woolfolk or Sam Adams or Jerry Ball.  Those big boys could ball and hold up and/or collapse the middle.  Last or close to it on run defense killed us last year.  Hell teams should have just ran all 4 downs and we would not have stopped them but they got too cute.

5 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Agreed...I hope they go ahead and get Hankins done after losing on Logan.  Knowing Bruce and his cheapness he'll go after Sen' Marks and a few recent cuts to get 2 less valuable bodies for the price of one.

What 3-4 D has been great without a stud NT?   Look at Woolfolk or Sam Adams or Jerry Ball.  Those big boys could ball and hold up and/or collapse the middle.  Last or close to it on run defense killed us last year.  Hell teams should have just ran all 4 downs and we would not have stopped them but they got too cute.

Yeah exactly, the hallmark of a 3-4 defenses is a dominant NT, big bodied run stuffer.  IMO Hankins, Logan, B. Williams were some of the obvious choices.  2 of the 3 are now gone.  I go back and forth on Poe but I wonder if there is some Knighton in him with being out of shape and too large -- but it doesn't seem like we aren't in the hunt for him either.  And I hate the idea of putting all the onus on the draft where you'd need to abandon a BPA approach.  

We had the Giants who had a joke of a running game all season long, running the ball down our throats to take us out of the playoffs.   Getting an elite guy up the middle IMO can make all the difference.  The Giants in 2015 stunk against the run.  They add Damon Harrison and in one fell swoop are fantastic against the run. 

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Maybe we've decided to go Jonathan Allen at #2 in the draft :816:

Could be.    Bruce is cooking up the press conference now -- Kirk for a 2nd rounder and let me tell you how much we love Colt Mccoy and meet our new GM, Doug Williams who made the deal happen.

I'm very disappointed to hear that we are using GMSM's free agency list....especially for the D-Lineman.....I now have far less excitement about McClain and McGee.

People think I like to troll GMSM, but I look at the facts....and the facts are his track record on the d-line is atrocious....minus Justin Smith.

14 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Wow! I have not heard the name Sam Adams in a long time. Gold Star man

7 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I'm very disappointed to hear that we are using GMSM's free agency list....especially for the D-Lineman.....I now have far less excitement about McClain and McGee.

People think I like to troll GMSM, but I look at the facts....and the facts are his track record on the d-line is atrocious....minus Justin Smith.

No, you just like trolling him. :P 

6 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

You like to troll me for thinking I troll him......I'm giving you the facts about GMSM...if you want to ignore them; that's your business

Responding to your posts of constantly putting SM down is hardly trolling.

Sounds like some can't handle facts himself. :) 

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Realities of FA if he's not under contract with your team.  He's not yours.     But if your point is Hood isn't lost until he's signed elsewhere, fine. I'll change "lost" to not with the team.   It doesn't take anything away from my point, I'll reframe it:  Based on how the roster is at present time:  we got McGee, we got McClain, we don't have Baker, we don't have Hood.  We got some work to do on D line.  I don't look at the present D line and say to myself this D line is better than it was before.  If you disagree, that's cool.  But my point was just how I said, the D line isn't better IMO, and they need to sign an impact D lineman still.  I don't think that's some wild outlandish theory on my end. :)

Remember: Chris Baker is likely gone, Ked Golston's a UFA. So are Cullen Jenkins (not returning) and Ziggy Hood. Still need a lot. #Redskins

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah exactly, the hallmark of a 3-4 defenses is a dominant NT, big bodied run stuffer.  IMO Hankins, Logan, B. Williams were some of the obvious choices.  2 of the 3 are now gone.  I go back and forth on Poe but I wonder if there is some Knighton in him with being out of shape and too large -- but it doesn't seem like we aren't in the hunt for him either.  And I hate the idea of putting all the onus on the draft where you'd need to abandon a BPA approach.  

We had the Giants who had a joke of a running game all season long, running the ball down our throats to take us out of the playoffs.   Getting an elite guy up the middle IMO can make all the difference.  The Giants in 2015 stunk against the run.  They add Damon Harrison and in one fell swoop are fantastic against the run. 

Could be.    Bruce is cooking up the press conference now -- Kirk for a 2nd rounder and let me tell you how much we love Colt Mccoy and meet our new GM, Doug Williams who made the deal happen.

well BPA hasn't done all that much for us in the last few drafts so maybe we should.  As for what I was saying on Hood, you may try to make it sound petty  but I don't like to subtract until you definitely subtract them.  As it stand maybe we'll try to bring in a one year stopgap

Archived