Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

Hankins is possibility but more than likely will resign with Giants. Poe just left Indy with no deal. Not signing with them is not good good. Either he is dilusiomal about compensation or the back injury is a real red flag. Next up for him is Atlanta.

If we don't sign Hankins or Brown, neither of which we're tied to, then we officially got worse on defense. Didn't think that was possible...

We number-oned away $15M/yr on two average-ish DL and an old TE. I hate this off-season trend of the front office completely ignoring the team's needs.

If this is the end of the FA haul, I'd give it a C, if they sign a major DT I'd bump it to a B plus.  I think the excitement by many at the end of last week was based on the assumption they'd sign a major DT FA.  If they ultimately don't, I think at best we can say the D line is just as bad now as it was at the start of FA, maybe worse.  If we said before FA -- we'd get McGee, McClain and lose Baker and probably Hood.  I don't think too many people would be jazzed.

I like Pryor but I don't think he's on his own is better than both D. Jax and Garcon combined.  I like Swearinger but he's not exactly the next Eric Berry.

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

If we don't sign Hankins or Brown, neither of which we're tied to, then we officially got worse on defense. Didn't think that was possible...

We number-oned away $15M/yr on two average-ish DL and an old TE. I hate this off-season trend of the front office completely ignoring the team's needs.

Except we didn't get worse

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

I agree with you on this. This is what you can expect from Bruce Allen in Free Agency. We will sign average players he "thinks" are good and overpay them only to see them cut in two years while letting better good players go to other teams. Blame those average guys for not living up to his expectations, wash rinse repeat. **** you Bruce Allen 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If this is the end of the FA haul, I'd give it a C, if they sign a major DT I'd bump it to a B plus.  I think the excitement by many at the end of last week was based on the assumption they'd sign a major DT FA.  If they ultimately don't, I think at best we can say the D line is just as bad now as it was at the start of FA, maybe worse.  If we said before FA -- we'd get McGee, McClain and lose Baker and probably Hood.  I don't think too many people would be jazzed.

I like Pryor but I don't think he's on his own is better than both D. Jax and Garcon combined.  I like Swearinger but he's not exactly the next Eric Berry.

Sounds like someone wants Vinny back.

Just now, lavar1156 said:

Except we didn't get worse

Great point.

Baker was statistically better, PFF rated higher, and had no where near the health concerns of McGee and McClain. Not sure how we didn't get worse... I liked Swearinger out of school, but he's in the same category as Jeron Johnson/David Bruton

Just now, Pick6 said:

Bruce Allen seems to think he can play moneyball with an NFL franchise.

So wait...just to play devil's advocate, wasn't it reported that they were going according to Scot's plan in free agency? Isn't that what has been reported EVERYWHERE, why we got Swearinger, McClain, etc.? 

5 minutes ago, Pick6 said:

Bruce Allen seems to think he can play moneyball with an NFL franchise.

And without the analytics, or a pro scouting department that has any history of unearthing undervalued NFL talent in free agency. If they don't sign a proven talent at DL/ILB, I have a zero percent expectation that this defense will be any better against the run. 

Lets hope they have something else up their sleeve. 

1 minute ago, SlkyCaramel said:

So wait...just to play devil's advocate, wasn't it reported that they were going according to Scot's plan in free agency? Isn't that what has been reported EVERYWHERE, why we got Swearinger, McClain, etc.? 

I have heard this, but Scot is gone. How we do that isn't forward thinking by Bruce if this season goes south? Bruce Allen is now in charge. Any failures or accomplishments fall solely at his feet. This is how he wanted it.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Far too generous. Even with Bennie Logan I'd give this offseason a C-, without him this is clearly a D-. Filled with far too many negatives then positive

The Good - The Safety was a good signing.

The jury still out on - Pryor maybe a be a good signing but no chance he's making up for the loss of Jackson and Garcon alone.

The Bad - Not getting Kirk locked up and likely losing him next year making this season absolutely pointless, losing our receivers and with them the number one offense in the NFL last year, losing our best D linemen, signing a 33 year old TE to big money, spending a ton of money on average to bad defensive linemen, losing our GM who gave this team stability and hope, and worse of all losing our self respect as a team and the bright future it had going

Worst offseason in many many years.

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I agree with you on this. This is what you can expect from Bruce Allen in Free Agency. We will sign average players he "thinks" are good and overpay them only to see them cut in two years while letting better good players go to other teams. Blame those average guys for not living up to his expectations, wash rinse repeat. **** you Bruce Allen 

Yea this is brutal to watch. We had the money, we had FAs to target who fit the scheme, yet we sign two JAGs for the price of what we could have paid a huge upgrade.

I feel like a fool. For the past two off-seasons I thought this moneyball approach was Scot's brainchild. Now it's become crystal clear that the reports were correct about him never having control of the personnel.

2 minutes ago, SlkyCaramel said:

Yep.

However, that has nothing to do with negotiating contracts with those players when they come for a visit.

Apparently, the Redskins didn't offer Logan what he wanted (I have no idea what the Chiefs are giving him).

Archived