Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Joe Flacco has a cannon and he is an average QB

The genius of Flacco comes with his willingness to throw 10 deep balls a game and hope to hit 3.  And he does.  If 2 are picks, who cares, it's as good as a punt.  He knows his limitations and plays to his strengths.

Cousins arm is strong enough for this offense.  Kirk played a great game yesterday against the stoutest defense he'll see all year.  The O-line was totally overmatched and outschemed, and Kirk played gamely. Without him, it would have been a blowout.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Cousins arm is strong enough for this offense.  Kirk played a great game yesterday against the stoutest defense he'll see all year.  The O-line was totally overmatched and outschemed, and Kirk played gamely. Without him, it would have been a blowout.

I don't know they were out-schemed as they were out muscled.

10 hours ago, zskins said:

Really needed the D to bail the O out today. The Cards D have a really good pass rush and we still got 23 on them. If our D does a better job we had the W. 

To bail them out?  Heck just to play average would have done it.  How many 3rd and longs did this D give up?  This offense that has been putrid for the entire year converted 10 out of 16 3rd downs.  Are you kidding me?  And we are talking about how our offense should have done better?  If they this BS D had a 50% success rate on 3rd down stops we win this game.

Also inexcusable to have this many false start penalties.  You just can't operate an offense like this.

Last but not least our boy genius McVay, cost us this game.  Another Fade call to the shortest receiver against the top corner in the league.  And he knows nothing about situational football.  you just had your LT get hurt and you call on a second down play a long developing pass?  No man you call either a run or a quick slant or a quick pass to the RB.  Hell call two run plays in the row and then punt the ball at that position in the field, you can't have the Cardinals tee off against what is essentially a 3rd string LT there.

2 minutes ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

My take is still that if Kirk wants to be paid as a top 5 player, he has to prove he can carry the team by himself

At this point he hasn't done that. 

Ok then we let him go.  Then what?  What QB you think will be able to keep us competitive at least on that side of the ball?  I am not mocking you, in fact I can see this front office having this attitude. We probably offer him the average of the top 10 QB contracts and he says no thanks.  So where do we go from there?  Do we spend what the Giants spend to get better on D only to find out our offense is then very average (because that is what the Giants offense is right now and they do still have Eli)? 

I have a little apprehension about Cousins experiencing a bit of "Romo syndrome" when a team throws an all-out blitz on him.   The Cardinals did it two plays in a row on that final drive and both times he had to commit to taking a hit, but the WRs were wide open and prepared to run a long way he Cousins stood in and took a hit.

18 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I have a little apprehension about Cousins experiencing a bit of "Romo syndrome" when a team throws an all-out blitz on him.   The Cardinals did it two plays in a row on that final drive and both times he had to commit to taking a hit, but the WRs were wide open and prepared to run a long way he Cousins stood in and took a hit.

I understand this, but I think Kirk is pretty tough in the pocket, he has thrown some absolute dimes this year while taking a shot

To me the biggest thing on the last play is that we didn't feel prepared...Jamison was wide open, and Kirk threw to the right man, he just guessed wrong on the choice of his route...to me there needs to be some "just play football" out there

we all know when we play backyard football and the other team has their free rush saved up, that the receivers need to just basically turn around and look at the quarterback immediately

not putting this on jamison at all, but sometimes we need to just play football and it would have been an easy pitch and catch

Cousins did not have a very good game yesterday. He started by throwing several balls into the ground. He missed some wide open guys that could have changed things. The offense in general had a really bad 1st half - again only scoring 6 pts in the 1st half. After being really good in terms of penalties the last few weeks, they got called for way too many false starts. No giving the D a pass by any means. They **** the bed too for the most part. But this discussion here is about Kirk Cousins. There are plenty of threads to complain about the D.

But let's be realistic - it was against the best D in the NFL. The Cardinals were picked by many to be serious SB contenders at the start of the season. Their D is excellent. They did some things to Kirk that no one else has been able to do, at least not consistently. Also, because of the  AZ D, the Oline struggled as can be seen by the multiple false starts.

But this does not change anything in terms of Kirk being the long term solution at QB for the Redskins. He needs to be signed and will probably be one of the top paid players in the NFL. And he should be - no question.

For those saying they are not convinced and/or still need to be shown .....  just fill in the new line in the sand .... if not Kirk then who? He fits this system very well. He clearly has a great rapport with Jay and Sean, not to mention the respect of the locker room. Any discussion of him not being signed because of a sub par game makes no sense.

Lot's of over-reaction to a loss. It seems to be rampant here. A few really good performances and it's off to the SB. We lose a game or two then we are the worst team in th NFL, fire the HC, the GM sucks, the DC needs to go. The QB has not shown me anything. The funny thing is the unrealistic expectations are a result of unexpected success early.

This was a 7-9 to maybe a 9-7 team from the beginning. This is what that looks like. Some great games and some real suck ass games. We need another off season to get a few more players to start truly being considered a really good team. We need some patience.

I'd have to go back and re-watch to be sure and there's not a chance in hell I'm doing that.  But if I recall correctly, a lot of Kirk's inaccurate throws came from facing immediate pressure or escaping the pocket and running for his life.  I haven't seen Kirk under duress like that in I literally cannot even remember.  They got after him nearly all day long and he didn't play well in the face of it, but most QBs don't.  I'd worry less about Kirk and more about the injuries to our O-line and Sean Lauvao's clear regression.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'd have to go back and re-watch to be sure and there's not a chance in hell I'm doing that.  But if I recall correctly, a lot of Kirk's inaccurate throws came from facing immediate pressure or escaping the pocket and running for his life.  I haven't seen Kirk under duress like that in I literally cannot even remember.  They got after him nearly all day long and he didn't play well in the face of it, but most QBs don't.  I'd worry less about Kirk and more about the injuries to our O-line and Sean Lauvao's clear regression.

Cooley said the Cards can bring interior pressure and thats the type of pressure that will give Kirk trouble. We have a weak link in Lauvau-Long. I think Kirk does a great job with his hard counts and identifying outside pass rush but (ive never been a competitive QB before) I think interior pressure is just harder to read and react to. There is no where to go if your LG gets pushed back into you like he was wearing ice skates.   

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I am not disagreeing. As a matter of fact I am saying the exact same thing. They saw a D they have not seen all year. They were able to put pressure on him all day - right from the start. The o-line struggled - hell even Brandon Scherff got a false start.

That's really my point. This was a rough game but one I expect them to learn from and if they paly them again, my guess is it would go much better. One thing that impresses me about Kirk is that he does seem to grow from adversity. He does shy away from it.

Yes, Lauvao needs to take a seat. He is getting blown up on a regular basis. I really like the idea of moving TW to LG just for the rest of the season. Leave Ty at LT. This gets your best 5 on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

They also did it on the TD he threw to Crowder 

The last play was a simple miscommunication between Crowder and Cousins. It's really that simple.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

We will find out soon. Thats what scary about the NFL. Show any weakness at all and you will see that same look again soon.  

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

On the TD to Crowder though the blitz was picked up and stuffed.  

If the biggest issue we have with our QB is that he's not great when IMMEDIATELY impacted by unblocked blitzers, then I think we're in good shape. He's beaten the blitz...plenty. But, if someone is going to get a free rush and clean hit on him, we can't expect perfection. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

you just had your LT get hurt and you call on a second down play a long developing pass?  No man you call either a run or a quick slant or a quick pass to the RB.  Hell call two run plays in the row and then punt the ball at that position in the field, you can't have the Cardinals tee off against what is essentially a 3rd string LT there.

I agree with you post but it was  Lauvao that got destroyed on that play...Painter blocked his man just fine.

You guys really NEED to listen to Kirk at 10:45 am on 106.7 The Fan every Monday after the game! He explained why he didn't change the protection, why the fade was thrown, how the pre-snap penalties hurt the game plan, etc. This way some of your speculations can be put to rest. 

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

This way some of your speculations can be put to rest. 

Obviously you haven't been on ES long enough to know that no matter who says what, and how reasonable and rational their explanation is, it will never put people's speculations to rest

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Obviously you haven't been on ES long enough to know that no matter who says what, and how reasonable and rational their explanation is, it will never put people's speculations to rest

Oh I have been here before Redskins.com acquired ES...lol 

Just trying to remind people that there are always two sides to a coin. There is always a light at the end of a tunnel (as long as the tunnel doesn't end in a dead end..lol). Good things are coming thanks to Scot. 

It is nice to see Kirk developing and learning. All QB can have a bad day. We are not a playoff team this year or even next year. It will take time. 

15 minutes ago, zskins said:

You guys really NEED to listen to Kirk at 10:45 am on 106.7 The Fan every Monday after the game! He explained why he didn't change the protection, why the fade was thrown, how the pre-snap penalties hurt the game plan, etc. This way some of your speculations can be put to rest. 

Kirk is being re-aired at 1 pm: http://player.radio.com/listen/station/1067-the-fan#.WEHIBrIrKM8

4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think its time to give Kirk Cousins more freedom to go no huddle in the redzone.

Some bubble screens, overload one side with 3 receivers and Reed out wide alone on the other side ... and what about some rub routes? I never see us rub guys which work great creating space in tight places. I think Reed got a penalty for it last year and thats the last time I saw that.  

The devil is in the details of his contract.  I think most everyone wants to keep Kirk Cousins as the QB - he's definitely good enough to win.  But we don't want the team to be as good as it's going to get.  Otherwise we have a good QB but we are stuck at 9-7 for the next 5 years.  If they hit that win/loss consistently it's better than anything in the Snyder years but still NOT GOOD ENOUGH. 

History tells us Kirk, teammates and staff will learn and improve from an opponent that provided some challenges. 

With that said, when playing tougher opponents with good defenses the team will have to learn to make plays and make adjustments in game. 

No QB is going to win every time out.  Tom Brady looked normal vs Seattle, and last year vs Denver in the AFC Champ game.  Kirk can only do so much, but I am not sure yet if I should assign blame to him or the coaches on the missed blitz pickups vs AZ.  Part of me thinks it's the coaches, but on the other hand Kirk just needs to deliver the ball more accurately.  It's probably a combination of both things.

Archived