Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

EDIT: The NFL site hadn't updated with the Falcons - Packers game yet - Cousins is #2.  Oh well. 

Mods, my apologies if this doesn't warrant it's own topic - send it to the garbage bin if so.  Seems pretty notable and thread worthy to me. 

WF2Qhfh.png

Is that good? :) 

TeddyKGB_PAYTHATMANHISMONEY.md.gif

Side topic, can the Red Zone issues be fixed?

When was the last time a Redskins QB was #1 on this list halfway through a season? 1999, maybe? 1991 if not.  I'm not saying it's a predictive stat but what I do think it's a good indicator of is that the issues do not lie with QB play.

Pay that man and start building around him before the window closes

We're flirting with the possibility of an era without elite QBs.  We need to just accept that and lock him up.  I blame our inconsistent run game and playcalling for our redzone offense more then him.  Kirk has played well enough to win the last two games, he's doing his job.

13 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

The numbers don't include Matt Ryan's game today. 

That checks. Ryan will still be the leader. I couldn't really care less about a passing yardage title for Cousins. What I do find very impressive is that he already owns the single season passing yards record and he will most certainly shatter that record this year. I don't see him hitting 5,000 yards but I think it's important for many doubters on here to just realize the significance of that statement. 

Yes, Cousins had an overtime period today to get to the 450+ mark but it still counts. And the guy is about 50 yards shy of being on pace for a 5,000 yard season, which only 5 players in NFL history have accomplished. Say what you want about passing being easier and all that in today's game. It is true, but for all of that, only Stafford, Brady, Manning, Brees and Marino have ever done it. 

Again, I don't think Cousins will hit 5000 yards this year but the sheer fact that he's damn near on pace for it halfway through the season says a lot more than nothing, in response to Rufus' usual pessimistic and sad view. I still think the major detracting factor from our offense right now is McVay's incredibly poor playcalling in big situations and the redzone. If not for that I think we'd have another win or so right now and a much higher Red Zone TD percentage. Regardless, Cousins has been getting hotter and hotter and is playing excellent football right now. 

I don't think the RZ issues are on Cousins. He can't stop Matt Jones from fumbling, or the coaching staff from calling 3 fades in a row to their new toy, or not trying to scheme Reed open, or not calling more zone read keepers for him...etc.

I guess it's impossible to have this not turn into a referendum on Cousins, but, I think that's a pretty impressive stat through 8 games. He's 46 yards short of being on a 5,000 yard season pace, which is incredible. 

For what it's worth, he was on pace for over 5,000 in 2014 (at a respectable 6.77 ANY/A efficiency, good for #9 in the league), but that wasn't good enough because he had some epic meltdowns when trying to come from behind and people didn't like the way he looked after he threw interceptions.

We'll see where he stacks up in terms of ANY/A when profootballreference updates their numbers tomorrow.  By my calculation, he's around 7.2 ANY/A which would have been good for #9 in the NFL through last week.  That seems about right, in terms of his overall ranking against other QBs in the league.  He's not playing at the elite level he hit last year, but even still I'd say he's in the top 10 range, give or take.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We're flirting with the possibility of an era without elite QBs.  We need to just accept that and lock him up.  I blame our inconsistent run game and playcalling for our redzone offense more then him.  Kirk has played well enough to win the last two games, he's doing his job.

Kind of agree with this. They will pop up, mostly being developed by the good franchises or getting lucked into. But overall the college talent pool at QB is very underwhelming. Draft a stud RB prospect or two, build the defense, and go old school ground and pound to beat the quick/small primarily nickel-centered defenses that have arisen in the past decade, and let a guy like Cousins shephard your offense, putting as little pressure on his shoulders as possible.

He's a top 10 QB right now, although its borderline/on the edge of 10. He's without a doubt solid 2nd tier QB.

Had it not been for the D and Hopkins choking, Cousins would have rallied us to back to back rally from 10 points down to win games on the road.

He's not a game manager. We win because of his passing. We have a mediocre at best run game and a piss poor D.

Pay him.

It's a passing league now and our QB is #2 in yards.  If we had a mediocre defensive coordinator, a decent NT, some inside linebacking, and our kicker doesn't blow a are-you-kidding-me FG, we're 6-1-1.  Cousins is doing fine and getting better.  Our O is not the problem.

2 hours ago, s0crates said:

Kirk has played well, but it helps your numbers when you have a coach who likes to pass 40 times a game.

He's 2nd in yards but only 7th in attempts (without a bye to deflate the numbers), so that's not terrible. 

6 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

It's a passing league now and our QB is #2 in yards.  If we had a mediocre defensive coordinator, a decent NT, some inside linebacking, and our kicker doesn't blow a are-you-kidding-me FG, we're 6-1-1.  Cousins is doing fine and getting better.  Our O is not the problem.

Our O is part of the problem. For whatever reason, the playcalling in the redzone has been a disaster. I don't really blame Kirk for that though. 

For a fourth round pick I guess you can't ask for much more. 

KC played well enough to win the game today and was not the reason that we lost last week. This week's tie came down to coaching. I am sorry but on 4th and a long yard in the first quarter you kick the field goal. I am still not over the Jones fumble from last week. This team should be 6-2 going into the bye. However we are 4-3-1. The tie in my opinion is almost like a loss. 

While passing yards isn't always the best indicator for QB quality, look at the guys who are historically at the top of the list. Its generally good to very good QBs. Its not like you'll ever see Brian Hoyer at the top of the list. Yeah they throw the ball more but thats because they're good enough that their team trusts them to throw it that much(or its their team's best option to win).

14 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Judging him by total yards and attempts per game seems like the textbook definition of cherry-picking.

Cherry picking stats to make Kirk seem like an untouchable franchise QB is not my goal. I'm as critical of him as the next guy.

However, dismissing his successes (such as they are) because of the system he's in is short-sighted and I felt the need to mitigate that concern with some positive stats. Namely, his YPA is actually quite good; 7th among QBs with at least 150 attempts, which is the floor for day 1 starters so far this season.

Archived