Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

You sir are a long time board Hysterian yourself. hahhaaa. or is that Historian.? I get confused these days. 

I believe that's what makes his charm :)

48 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

<pic of Pierre Garcon's report (tough to edit!!!)>

There's not even Tress Way on this list... That guy clearly don't know the best player on his team.

4 hours ago, Tsailand said:

We didn't "know" that Cousins would be elite, but we knew that he had potential, and we knew that starting and developing him was the team's best chance for success given the QB situation we had put ourselves in.

I went on record in April 2012 that the RG3 trade was a mistake, and in Jan 2013 that it was time to move on from him, and in December 2014 that Cousins had been our best QB of 2014.. 

Unfortunately, being smarter than Dan Synder and 90% of our fanbase isn't much of an achievement. 

If you get into the NFL at all you have "potential". What you just said there has been said, by fans of this team as well as every other, about more QBs than any of us can probably count. Tons of QBs who got to the NFL and got some playing time showed flashes of great play. Colt Brennan was the former "He has shown some amazing flashes of talent...we just need to start him and give him experience" obsession on this board. What happened is this: you made a lucky guess. Nobody knew whether or not Kirk would be able to get over his obvious decision making, turnover, and mental (meltdown) issues that were causing him to be a mediocre and up and down player. To be honest, I was dubious because those tend to be things that are harder to correct than things like footwork or release point, etc. Luckily for us all the light seemed to, for some reason, come on for him in the middle of last season and he seems to be continuing his upward trend, so I am VERY happy that I was wrong. But all of you talking about how you just knew that he was greatness in the making simply had the most recent QB mancrush and it turned out to be the right guess.

9 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

No but IMO should have been the starter after that Browns game because RGIII was never the same after that injury with the Ravens.  Shanny should have put his foot down and say young man you are way too valuable to this organization and you are not 100%.  If Cousins continues to play with the running game we had with Morris I am convinced we would at least beat Seattle and then it would have been a showdown with Atlanta.  No way someone can tell me at that time Wilson and the Seattle seahawks were that much better than a Cousins led Redskins team.

That's the only aspect I agree with. That and letting him go "all in for week 1". But Seattle was a MUCH better team than Washington that year. There was a 3 game stretch where Seattle outscored their opponents 150-30. 

3 hours ago, elkabong82 said:

Hi, I'm reality. I don't think we've met.

Okay, I'm convinced you believed and still do believe a guy with a history of being cautious with draft picks went all in on spindly read option QB instead of the impetuous go for broke owner with a history huge failed gambles.  you believing does not make something true.

15 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Okay, I'm convinced you believed and still do believe a guy with a history of being cautious with draft picks went all in on spindly read option QB instead of the impetuous go for broke owner with a history huge failed gambles.  you believing does not make something true.

And you believing that a hardass like Mike Shannahan who openly stated that he told Snyder that he would only come here if he had guaranteed full control over all aspect of football operations suddenly turned into a meek yes man who just said "well, ok Dan" when Snyder tried to tell him who to draft is just as silly. What's Dan going to do? Fire him? Shanny would still get all of his money and then he'd just go public and say "I refused to draft who Dan wanted because I didn't like the pick. I told him when I started that I would only do this if I had full control and he agreed. He tried to force me and I said no, and he fired me for it."

Shannahan would be the total winner in that situation. He'd have a ton of money for doing nothing, his reputation would be great because people would be talking about how he refused to be forced into something by Snyder and opted to be fired instead. And the Skins would look awful because Dan Snyder meddling again would be the talk for god knows how long. There's no way the Skins win in that situation.

48 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How are we still talking about this? The Cousins stans and their victory lap tour are just as obnoxious as the RG3 defense force was back in the day, myself included. 

Can we move on? 

Agreed. I think this played out exactly how it would have on pretty much every other team in the NFL. 

52 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Agreed. I think this played out exactly how it would have on pretty much every other team in the NFL. 

Every other team. Correct. Not the Redskins though. :ols: Maybe things are turning for us with Scot. :)

I think this thread is now done and should be shut down. We are beyond 8 weeks now. ;)

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

How are we still talking about this? The Cousins stans and their victory lap tour are just as obnoxious as the RG3 defense force was back in the day, myself included. 

Can we move on? 

Nope.

I'm petty as ****. You ****ers are going to have to endure this **** and like it lol jk

And now we have this craziness from idiots out there that think they are "in the know".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Jennings ‏@HunterLoganX 
Scott Jennings Retweeted Gil Brandt

Quote:
Gil Brandt on Kirk Cousins contract demands: "I've been told that he's asking for $26 million per year." #Redskins

Sure this Gil, I mean from what we also know Scottie and KC's agent are breaking the rules (no negotiation during the season) to talk money and you have been "told" all the details.  I swear this social media craziness has given a voice to people that otherwise would be barely capable saying "to you want cream with your coffee sir".

I remember having bad feelings about RG3 during the off-season after his injury. I hated the all-in crap and despised the way he came into the week 1 Monday night game against the Eagles; for those who don't remember, he dropped to his knees and pounded the turf in some odd and dramatic "lost at sea, grateful to see the sand" way. 

But, I have to be honest, all through 2012 I was 100% sold on Griffin and really wanted him to work out. It wasn't until the 2013 season that I started having reservations and began talking to my friends about how I wondered if Cousins would be the better long-term choice at QB. Another admission...when Cousins was benched at halftime of the Titans game in 2014, I was pretty sad because to me it signaled that he just couldn't do it. 

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Another admission...when Cousins was benched at halftime of the Titans game in 2014, I was pretty sad because to me it signaled that he just couldn't do it. 

It signaled to me that he just needed more reps/time. I was never convinced he couldn't do it. I always wanted to see what he could do if he had the whole offseason to prepare as the #1 guy.

I firmly remember Greg Cossell suggesting that Cousins has a relatively weak arm.  People like to  compare his arm to Andy Dalton's.  I notice now that Greg Cossell thinks Kirk Couins has an above average arm.  I like listening to him, but he did not watch Cousins enough.

As far as 2014, the year Cousins got benched for throwing too many interceptions, people forget the fact that he was actually moving the offense downfield with ease.  Due to lack of experience, however, he was throwing interceptions in bunches.  I never thought he should have been benched that year.  He just looked like an elite QB in the making.  

It wasn't just the eye-test.  The advanced stats(football outsiders for example) seemed to suggest that Cousins was playing like an above average QB.  

For one, Cousins was very decisive.  However, not the Rex Grossman type of decisive.  The thing with Grossman was that the moment he was touched, he would fumble the ball.  I did not see that with Cousins.  Also, what set Cousins apart from the other QB's was the fact that he did not take many sacks even when the offensive line was garbage. What that told me was that he was processing information very quickly.  He was throwing the ball downfield.  It wasn't a dink and dunk.

If you compare Cousins against McCoy and RG3 that year, yes, Cousins was throwing ints in bunches, but the fact was he threw TD's at a higher rate  as well.  Not to mention that his yard/game avg was better.  In fact, from what I recall, the TD/INT ratio for all three QB's was around the same.  So, what was happening was that Cousins was throwing a lot more TD's, but a lot more ints.  It told me that it was due to inexperience.  

Yes, Cousins looked much better than the other QB's in 2014.  It wasn't even close to me.  I may have compared him to Drew Brees that year.

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

And now we have this craziness from idiots out there that think they are "in the know".

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Jennings ‏@HunterLoganX 
Scott Jennings Retweeted Gil Brandt

Quote:
Gil Brandt on Kirk Cousins contract demands: "I've been told that he's asking for $26 million per year." #Redskins

Sure this Gil, I mean from what we also know Scottie and KC's agent are breaking the rules (no negotiation during the season) to talk money and you have been "told" all the details.  I swear this social media craziness has given a voice to people that otherwise would be barely capable saying "to you want cream with your coffee sir".

Since I also posted the Gil Brandt statement, I feel compelled to respond to such an aggressive post.

First, it was posted on NFL.com - not just twitter. It was part of an article written by Gil Brandt about who should be re-signed. Kirk was the first person he listed.

Sorry, but when someone as well respected as Gil Brandt says something, it's worth mentioning. He is very well connected due to his 60+ years being involved in the NFL mostly as an executive from 1955 to 1988 and then reporting on the NFL. Brandt is just not someone who makes **** up. Also, at least for my part, I stated emphatically that IF it were true that would be great as it's very close to what a lot of us thought it would be.

As for agent and the redskins not discussing the contract - that's very loose and does not include "informal" discussions.

Not really seeing the problem here.

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Since I also posted the Gil Brandt statement, I feel compelled to respond to such an aggressive post.

First, it was posted on NFL.com - not just twitter. It was part of an article written by Gil Brandt about who should be re-signed. Kirk was the first person he listed.

Sorry, but when someone as well respected as Gil Brandt says something, it's worth mentioning. He is very well connected due to his 60+ years being involved in the NFL mostly as an executive from 1955 to 1988 and then reporting on the NFL. Brandt is just not someone who makes **** up. Also, at least for my part, I stated emphatically that IF it were true that would be great as it's very close to what a lot of us thought it would be.

As for agent and the redskins not discussing the contract - that's very loose and does not include "informal" discussions.

Not really seeing the problem here.

I went and read the article, he really didn't say anything outrages, just about the number. I wanted to find fault in his piece but couldn't.

On the Cosell article another good excerpt

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-cosells-film-review-kirk-cousins-has-matured-into-a-good-quarterback-171404308.html

Cousins’ talent didn’t jump off the film when he came out of Michigan State. That’s why he was a fourth-round pick. He wasn’t a Matthew Stafford-type, who was a first overall pick because of his great physical skills. Cousins had to learn how to be efficient, and that takes time.

Think back to Drew Brees, when he finished his second full NFL season with the San Diego Chargers. He was a nice player. But did anybody think he become the Drew Brees we see now? Theoretically, why couldn’t Cousins continue on this track and with more experience in Gruden’s system (remember, Brees has been in the same system since 2006) become a top quarterback? He’s already a really efficient player in a well-designed offense.

Nobody knows what Cousins is going to be in five years. But over the last year or so he has developed into a very productive quarterback.

Archived