Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

45 minutes ago, Natty said:

Redskin offense with Cousins this year... fewest 3 and outs in the entire  NFL. 

Yes, we know that the offense, and Cousins, is very good between the 20s. The red zone issue is huge though. If we produced more in the rz we probably would have won most of our games.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't think this needed to be a new thread, does anyone else get the feeling that Scheft is on to something here? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/11/30/espns-adam-schefter-isnt-convinced-kirk-cousins-feels-an-allegiance-to-redskins/?utm_term=.2d40ada84859  

why dont we hear Cousins ever come out and say, I want to be here, this is where I belong? Or something to that effect?

Why would he?  He started through preseason and than sat down quietly for "all in for week 1."  He stayed quiet when RG3 was named the starter prior to the following season even though Kirk felt he was better (rightly so).  After setting the world on fire his first year as a starter he was given a put up or shut up year by an organization that clearly wasn't convinced.  

Doubt is dirty word in sports.  Don't confuse it with competition.  Every player knows a better player can come along and take his job.  Competition is what they know, it's what they do everyday.  The Redskins didn't think they had a better QB, this wasn't about competing, they just doubted Kirk was as good as his play suggested.  Perfectly reasonable... unless you're a hyper competitive proathlete that treats doubt as disrespect and uses it as motivation.  

So maybe Kirk thinks that he's done his part and it's up to organization to show their commitment.  

... or maybe he's just smart enough not to say anything that will chase potential bidders away because he wants to ge paid.  :P 

(if I had to guess its the second theory, but people love drama!  Who am I to deprive people of what they want?)

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

Skins cannot count on the magic money tree providing an ever increasing cash flow (I thinks some viewership has actually declined and that may affect future cash flows).

I know you mean the NFL as a whole, but thought this was interesting...

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-have-second-highest-viewership-nfl-so-far-season?

Of course the only reason Dallas has more is because about 5m are watching to see them lose. :P

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yes, we know that the offense, and Cousins, is very good between the 20s. The red zone issue is huge though. If we produced more in the rz we probably would have won most of our games.

I believe we have won most of our games. But I'm not a mathematical expert. ; )

1 hour ago, Natty said:

Maybe if Cousins grew long nappy hair and put it in dreadlocks...he could win the hearts of some Redskin fans. Right ?

LOL!  I'd love to see a photoshop of that..... but him going long and full on Sunshine from the Titans might work better.  Kirk's from the West Coast of Michigan

7 hours ago, CBass1724 said:

Another argument in the favor of Cousins is that there's not one dominating wideout on our team that is getting all of the receptions and yards.  Crowder is leading the team in receiving yards (725) and is 25th in the league.  Reed has 59 catches, most on the team, and that ranks 19th. Crowder has 55 and Pierre has 52.

Kirk is second in the league in passing yards and we don't have any pass catchers lighting the league on fire.  

Stats like this show how signing Kirk to a big contract won't hamper the team like Flacco's did to The Ratbirds.  If Big Cuz has a halfway decent receiving core he can light it up.  Joe can't, even with a flock of pro bowlers he couldn't match our guy's numbers.

12 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't think this needed to be a new thread, does anyone else get the feeling that Scheft is on to something here? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/11/30/espns-adam-schefter-isnt-convinced-kirk-cousins-feels-an-allegiance-to-redskins/?utm_term=.2d40ada84859  

why dont we hear Cousins ever come out and say, I want to be here, this is where I belong? Or something to that effect?

I still have a really hard time believing that Kirk is that petty. It would take a really childish and petty attitude to think this way about the team at this point. Here are the3 problems with this thought process - besides shefter being a complete ****ing moron:

!. Yes, he was not excited when he got drafted by us - but A. It was mostly surprise and B. The team did in fact draft him. All 31 other teams had 3 chances and then a few had a 4th chance to draft. After all that, the Redskins drafted him.

2. Yes he had to endure the Robert thing - but how else was it going to go? When you invest that much in a player you really want to give them every chance - especially since he had one of the best rookie seasons literally in the history of the NFL. People conveniently forget that. He was simply amazing. You can call it system you can call it what ever you want. But dude flat out balled. Having said that, the current HC and GM had the balls to go to Snyder and tell him we don't care how much you have invested in Robert. he is not the long term solution. We need to give Kirk a chance.

3. This system so fits Kirk's play. He is now in his 3rd year studying the system - 2nd full season as the starter. If he goes somewhere else, first he would have to start all over. Second, and I have said this repeatedly, while it happens, it is very infrequent that QBs are really successful on one team then go somewhere else. Before people trot out Trent Green and few others - I said not many! Not never.

4. There is nothing that Kirk has done since the day he was drafted to suggest he is that petty. He is straight up highly competitive athlete. Those out bursts were just Kirk being Kirk. I believe people are placing way too much meaning on them.

I was going to finish with what if he is that petty. But I am that confident that he is not. They tag him then get a deal done just before the deadline. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Getting drafted by the Redskins slowed Kirk's development in my opinion.  Kirk's 2015 breakout year would have come much sooner maybe as early as 2012 if Kirk was the one Shanny was allowed to develop.  Despite being obviously much better running Shanny's NFL offense or Gruden's Cousins had to sit while two coaching staffs labored vainly to turn a sows ear into silk purse.  It was obvious to us fans that both staffs understood Cousins was the talented one.  It had had to be incredibly frustrating.

The situation had to be very hard for all concerned including the other QB who probably understood early on the Kirk could run rings around him running the real playbook.  That said, Cousins worked through it and has to feel very positively about how JG and SM for forced the owner to finally deal with the truth and move on with the QB equipped to thrive in the NFL game.  I think 2015 & 2016 will dominate everyone's thoughts most importantly Kirk's so I don't envision an issue.

"A dork with swag:" teammates break down the Kirk Cousins persona http://wapo.st/2g8mn36 

6 replies46 retweets67 likes

Retweet

More

Kirk Cousins hasn’t forgotten fourth-quarter meltdown from his last trip to Arizona - The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/11/30/kirk-cousins-hasnt-forgotten-fourth-quarter-meltdown-from-his-last-trip-to-arizona/

5 hours ago, Destino said:

Why would he?  He started through preseason and than sat down quietly for "all in for week 1."  He stayed quiet when RG3 was named the starter prior to the following season even though Kirk felt he was better (rightly so).  After setting the world on fire his first year as a starter he was given a put up or shut up year by an organization that clearly wasn't convinced.  

I know you and I have gone back and forth on this and I'm def more on the Cousins bandwagon than I was before but come on. It's not like he wasn't given opportunities in the years prior to 2015 and just didn't take advantage of it. Granted obviously it takes time to develop a rapport with your teammates but Kirk i'm sure was aware that RG3 was drafted with EVERY intent on being the longterm starter and it was gonna take either an epic RG3 collapse or an unreal performance by Kirk to win the job.But he definitely didn't do enough throughout his rookie contract to justify earning a massive contract after a half season of good play. 

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Last year he said it on the radio that he likes to be here if the Redskins wants him to be here. This is before he was tagged. He really didn't care about being tagged as he said he just wants to go out on the field and play. The way he went up to Scot to say how you like me now pretty much says he wants to be here as long as you pay me good. Gruden and Scot gave him a chance and the nice guy Kirk is I highly doubt he will turn his back on the people who put him in a position to be successful. People are forgetting they sat RG3 down and put him in. I am sure Kirk appreciates that but he still wants to get paid for his hard work. Who doesn't?

Cousins wants to be a Redskin and wants to succeed; everyone wants that to happen. He is religious and doesn't strike me as a greedy player. He wants to be appreciated just like anyone else would at their job, nothing wrong with that.

But some are waiting in the wings for him to make a mistake [ off-field ] and if/when it happens they will pounce on him like crazy. That's how the media and society goes in today's world. But every time I've seen him do an interview, he's been soft spoken, mentions his love for the Lord, and wants to be a great player; 3 great qualities IMO.

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

3. This system so fits Kirk's play. He is now in his 3rd year studying the system - 2nd full season as the starter. If he goes somewhere else, first he would have to start all over.

^^ This is why he ain't leaving and why he's wayyyyyy more valuable to the Redskins than any other team.  We can justify the price tag because he's already producing in this offense at a high level.  You don't just go to a new system and put up those numbers.  It takes time.

Kirk Cousins has been named the NFC Offensive Player of the Month. #HTTRNFL_Season_2016_WAS.png

Rob Carlin Retweeted Randall Liu

All he does is set #Redskins franchise records.. I've admitted I was dead wrong about him.. But, sure, wait to see more.. It'll cost ya!

Rob Carlin added,

CymSI9aXgAI3-cK.jpg
Randall Liu @RLiuNFL
Kirk Cousins is the 1st player in Redskins history to win multiple Offensive Player of the Month Awards

3 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

^^ This is why he ain't leaving and why he's wayyyyyy more valuable to the Redskins than any other team.  We can justify the price tag because he's already producing in this offense at a high level.  You don't just go to a new system and put up those numbers.  It takes time.

Yup. Remember Matt Cassel...I wonder what happened to him after he got all that money from KC. lol

Archived