Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

12 minutes ago, illone said:

I never really understood why fans bother themselves with the cap too much.  Unless you know all the rules, you are really playing a chess game without all the pieces.  Moral of the story? Don't play chess without all the pieces.  

We can go back and forth about the "worth" of Cousins, is he mid-tier, top-tier, etc etc. but the reality is the cap goes up every year and even if Kirk signed a mega deal the Skins will work it into their budget and get everyone paid who they want to keep around.  Business as usual, so why even concern yourself with the details of $20 Mil per year or $25 Mil per year?  It's very pointless.

Exactly where I'm at as well.

21 minutes ago, illone said:

I never really understood why fans bother themselves with the cap too much.  Unless you know all the rules, you are really playing a chess game without all the pieces.  Moral of the story? Don't play chess without all the pieces.  

We can go back and forth about the "worth" of Cousins, is he mid-tier, top-tier, etc etc. but the reality is the cap goes up every year and even if Kirk signed a mega deal the Skins will work it into their budget and get everyone paid who they want to keep around.  Business as usual, so why even concern yourself with the details of $20 Mil per year or $25 Mil per year?  It's very pointless.

Lol... these comments get me,

Whats the point in talking about anything Redskin related, we really don't ever have all the pawns, knights, blah blah. 

I get it though, 53 will suit up no matter what Kirk's contract number is.

3 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Zero chance of making the pro bowl.  Nobody outside of DC or 10% of fantasy owners knows this guy exists.

Remember, the national media doesn't actually watch Redskins games, and they sure as heck don't do film breakdowns.  Their stories are based on four minute game highlight videos.

well...special teams...he gets one more punt return for a td...

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I think many of us fans are in for a learning experience after Kirk receives this contract. My guess some surprises will occur with roster moves as a result in the future. 

So, you are actually comparing him to Marino by saying Marino had a great defense and Kirk didn't? lol, "Come on man"!

I actually thought you were trying to stop the silliness of comparing Kirk to a legend of the game. This is where some Kirk supporters lose me. 

if we are comparing..here are Marino records Kirk has a shot at..

Most yards passing, Season: 5,084
Most fourth-quarter comeback wins, career (playoffs included): 36 
Most consecutive seasons, 3,000 or more yards passing: 9 
Most games, 300 or more yards passing, season: 9 in 1984 
Most consecutive games, two or more touchdown passes: 12
Most seasons, 3,000 or more yards passing: 13 
40,000 career passing yards in fewest number of games to start career: 153
Most yards passing, career: 61,361
50,000 career passing yards in fewest number of games to start career: 193 
Most seasons, 40 or more touchdown passes: 2
Most consecutive games, 400 or more yards passing: 2 
Most games, four or more touchdown passes, season: 6
Most consecutive games, two or more touchdown passes: 12
Most games, 400 or more yards passing, Season: 4 in 1984

/lol ok I am just being silly...Marino was the man...if he played in today's league he'd own almost all QB records..and it wouldn't even be close..

//Cuz is the man though!!!

@AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy @goskins10 @Momma There Goes That Man

Let's leave out the insults and focus on the points made. There was plenty there from goskins for you guys to actually debate, refute or analyze without having to delve into insulting him directly. 

Homer or not, he was simply making his points and you guys "went there".

I'm not going to issue any penalties as I don't think it truly violated rule 5 or anything, but let's tone it down. 

Please take the time to read Rule 5, fellas, especially the bolded: 

5. Your default position is to be respectful of your fellow members in your posts.

Free debate within the parameters outlined is welcome, and diversity of opinion is vital to a good debate. Every member is free to post their own opinion on the topic/subject of the thread without sanction, as long as the way it's expressed does not violate forum rules. As you debate your fellow members we request you maintain contact with the content of the discussion within each reply, especially as any exchange becomes more heated.

We encourage spirited discussions and holding people accountable for what they post. This may be done in ways from funny to firm, including being castigating if reasonably merited. For example, calling someone "clueless" or calling some comment or post “stupid” when done in appropriate and justifiable context to the poster’s actual content is often allowable. This is most safely done when in response to a specifically posted comment using the "quote" feature or in accurate reference to a poster’s general content in various threads over time on a given topic. Such castigations must not be excessive, and the reaction should be such as may normally be expected by an average reader with a strongly opposing and reasonably informed opinion.

If you're unsure, being civil is the safest course. You will rarely go wrong by going after the views of the poster more than the poster's character or personality as you see it. Moderators determine any actions to be taken if needed. Bottom line--do as you choose and so will the moderators.

We are not seeking to favor some genteel "tea & crumpets" gathering or some dry and ponderous book club discussion forum. Nor are we seeking some gratuitously flaming cage-match atmosphere in our threads. 

Understand that moderators have wide latitude in defining and enforcing this rule. For this and all matters related to moderation, we suggest close inspection of Rule 18.

7 hours ago, skins island connection said:

I wrote [ ok, typed ] a fairly long thread regarding coaching vs talent, and I didn't get a single damn response.

Why?

Because I'm right.

Well, excuuuuse me. :ols::P 

I'd assume the reason you didn't get a response was because there was already a thread created by @SWFLSkins on this matter, in which it was discussed, debated, and pretty much killed. 

In fact, that topic has always been a hot one on ES. You really think you had it all covered and figured out its ultimate reality so that no one dared respond? 

Come on now. That's a topic I doubt anyone will ever answer in totality. Even at the highest levels of the NFL. 

For reference, here's the thread, you can find plenty of responses to your ideas and actual thought-provoking analyses there: 

This thread has already gone off the rails enough for it to continue here, though. But yeah, your points are addressed ad nauseum there and for years here on ES in general. 

I don't know where you've been!? ;):P 

12 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I remember the "Why did Shanny even bother to draft another QB?... waste of a draft pick" folks. Man, has times changed.

Shanny deserves some credit here.  While he might not have had a strong W/L record, he's got some fingerprints on this team, most notably the quarterback.  I realize not a lot of fans like him because he didn't win a lot but drafting Cousins after RG3 showed a lot of vision.  Much respect.  

Can't believe you dug back and found that Waterfall thread, one of Zoonys favs....lol....Thanks, Sub. The simple act of finding the middle ground shall perplex throughout the timeline of ES....thus ExtremeSkins, one extreme or the other, lol. Somebody has to wrangle the masses from being asses.....

We are not seeking to favor some genteel "tea & crumpets" gathering or some dry and ponderous book club discussion forum. Nor are we seeking some gratuitously flaming cage-match atmosphere in our threads. 

And it was such a pretty thread,,,,,,,hahaaa

58 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I know its been talked about already, but I see posts of 'Barry doesn't have anything to work with' and I shake my head.

I shake my head, too. But mostly at your responses to it. ;):P 

4 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

It is closed tho Sub.......soooo.........

Sooo we can post about it in a Barry thread. Or just make a new one. 

It got archived once the board was updated recently, it wasn't actually closed. Unfortunately, it can't be reopened. :) 

44 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Sooo ...we can post about it in a Barry thread. Or just make a new one. 

It got archived once the board was updated recently, it wasn't actually closed. Unfortunately, it can't be reopened. :) 

Sooooooooo, how about that Kirk Cousins. .... ...... hahaaa

raw

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Shanny deserves some credit here.  While he might not have had a strong W/L record, he's got some fingerprints on this team, most notably the quarterback.  I realize not a lot of fans like him because he didn't win a lot but drafting Cousins after RG3 showed a lot of vision.  Much respect.  

Maybe it's just me, but the Cousins draft pick moment was like a "where were you when (insert historical event during your lifetime)." I don't mean that because it's anywhere as relevant in the grand scheme, but just that it was such a shock. I was 100% against it and wanted Shanny's head. Boy have I changed my tune. That's a "told ya so" I'll gladly accept.

11 hours ago, wit33 said:

So, you are actually comparing him to Marino by saying Marino had a great defense and Kirk didn't? lol, "Come on man"!

I actually thought you were trying to stop the silliness of comparing Kirk to a legend of the game. This is where some Kirk supporters lose me. 

I honestly don't even want to keep this debate going because it's crazy. Marino > Kirk. Period. I was just responding to someone who compared the records of each QB during their first couple years of starting. It's ignorant to put the team record on one player's shoulders and I'd argue a crazy hypothetical that if Kirk had the #1 D like Marino had, the Skins may have won a couple more games.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I was very happy when we picked Cousins. I actually wanted him before the Robert trade. However, I also have to admit that after Roberts 1st season I thought it may have been a waste after all. Then when Cousins played and looked more like Rex Grossman than a solid franchise QB, I was not interested.

I was still hoping Robert would turn it around when they made the decision to bench him for Cousins last year. But I am a Redskins fan first so I supported the move. Just was not too sure about Kirk. Then the first several games had me very worried. I even think I posted, bench him just before the Tampa Game! Wow, was I wrong!

Kirk just seems to be getting better. Fix the RZ issues and he and this offense will be a true juggernaut.

Yes, shanny deserves a little credit but he also contributed to a lot of what was wrong, including IMO breaking Robert. Probably would have happened anyway looking at it in hind sight but shanny's ego cost Robert and the team dearly.

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

ESPN completely ignoring Cousins in the MVP race: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18163895/nfl-mvp-poll-2016-derek-carr-oakland-raiders-tops-espn-rankings

Included Andrew Luck, Dak Prescott, and Russell Wilson.

In fairness, they do list him a dark horse. They really do not say why though!  lol  It's just below the main article. The main text is here.

Still, it's laughable that they have luck ahead of Kirk. The rest of the list though is hard to argue to be honest. If we had a few more wins my guess is he would be on the list.

1. QB Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins

One reason Washington was hesitant to give Cousins a long-term contract in the offseason was the question about his vertical passing (production on aerials traveling 11 or more yards downfield).

Cousins did rate fourth among passer-rated quarterbacks in vertical yards per attempt (YPA) over the course of the 2014 and 2015 seasons, but a lot of his 12.0-yard mark in that category was in part thanks to receiver DeSean Jackson. Cousins had a 19.6 vertical YPA mark on throws to Jackson in this time frame, a pace that was nearly double the 10.2 vertical YPA Cousins had on targets to other receivers.

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

In fairness, they do list him a dark horse. They really do not say why though!  lol  It's just below the main article. The main text is here.

Still, it's laughable that they have luck ahead of Kirk. The rest of the list though is hard to argue to be honest. If we had a few more wins my guess is he would be on the list.

Yeah him behind Prescott and Wilson is utterly laughable as well. I am not saying he's a legitimate MVP candidate, but he's better than some of these others.

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I am not saying he's a legitimate MVP candidate

But he really is a legit MVP candidate!  We've seen how awful our team is without competent QB play.  If we keep winning and make the playoffs, he'll for sure be in the discussion.  But seriously a big fat LOL to Andrew Luck being on that list right now.

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah him behind Prescott and Wilson is utterly laughable as well. I am not saying he's a legitimate MVP candidate, but he's better than some of these others.

Him behind Wilson and Luck doesn't make much sense, Luck especially. There's clearly some name/history bias at work. But, being behind Prescott is understandable. He has, I believe, the 2nd best QBR, the best TD/Int ratio, and his team has 10 wins. Either way, Cousins should absolutely be in the mix. 

10 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

But he really is a legit MVP candidate!  We've seen how awful our team is without competent QB play.  If we keep winning and make the playoffs, he'll for sure be in the discussion.  But seriously a big fat LOL to Andrew Luck being on that list right now.

You can just see the ESPN windbags sitting around "Welp, we need more names...ummmm...Has anyone actually watched any games this year? Luck? He's good right? Oh Wilson, we need to include Russell Wilson!"

56 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

1. QB Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins

Cousins did rate fourth among passer-rated quarterbacks in vertical yards per attempt (YPA) over the course of the 2014 and 2015 seasons, but a lot of his 12.0-yard mark in that category was in part thanks to receiver DeSean Jackson.

You mean he throws deep to the guy who can get deep?  What's the eyeroll icon?  I don't remember anyone belittling the 1983 Redskins for scoring the most rushing TDs because we had Riggo.  Seriously, that is just a stupid thing to say.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

Maybe it's just me, but the Cousins draft pick moment was like a "where were you when (insert historical event during your lifetime)." I don't mean that because it's anywhere as relevant in the grand scheme, but just that it was such a shock. I was 100% against it and wanted Shanny's head. Boy have I changed my tune. That's a "told ya so" I'll gladly accept.

I remember exactly where I was. I was on the beltway headed home from somewhere listening to the draft.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

ESPN completely ignoring Cousins in the MVP race: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18163895/nfl-mvp-poll-2016-derek-carr-oakland-raiders-tops-espn-rankings

Included Andrew Luck, Dak Prescott, and Russell Wilson.

If Cousins lights it up these last few weeks and carries this team to some wins, he's got to be in the conversation.

They make a good case for Carr.  Has been lights out in the 4th quarter.

Archived