Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins leads NFL in passing yards through Week 8

NattyBo

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kirk immediately responded to throwing that pick six by throwing a beautiful strike to Jamison Crowder on a big third down.

Kirk is growing up.  He's a legitimately good QB and this offense is rolling.  The only thing we need moving forward is for someone to solidify that center position and to find young replacements for some of our receivers who are getting older.  Wouldn't hurt to beef up the run game with some more talent either, but Thompson and Kelly have been solid.

Keeping Kirk and committing to him long term is a no brainer.  He needs to be our QB from now until retirement.  With the OL and pass catchers we have, he is good enough to win us games with his arm and he's going to keep getting better.  Eventually he's going to be good enough to carry us even when the talent around him dips.

I think the issues with the run game are not the RB's but OL. Today, I don't know how many times Fat Rob made 2 or 3 yards after the play getting blown up in the backfield, and how bad anything short yardage run is for us. When you make guys miss and drag 2 guys for 2 yards............and get 2 yards, it's not the RB. For years, we have not had a physical OL, and we still don't. And I don't think we ever will with this group. We probably need to scheme away from being a physical running team, as much as I hate to say it.

We had two backup interior OL today against an Eagle front that is very good. Still we weren't that bad running the ball, just not consistent. But truth is, we are a passing team, we'll never dominate running the ball, it just needs to be good enough and it is with Kelley/Thompson.

It's been like this all year. We can never move the LoS in short yardage, and tend to get moved back. This is not a one game instance, it's been all season. But you are right, we're not going to be a great running football team. The issues is that with a bad defense, it's harder to keep our D off the field when you can't run well, at least situationally.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We had two backup interior OL today against an Eagle front that is very good. Still we weren't that bad running the ball, just not consistent. But truth is, we are a passing team, we'll never dominate running the ball, it just needs to be good enough and it is with Kelley/Thompson.

Thank you Warhead.  It baffles me at times...the Eagles have (in my mind) the best Defensive Line & Defensive Lineman (Fletcher Cox) in The Division.  This is The NFL - the Opponent has strengths too.  And Run Defense for Philly is a strength of theirs.  

All told, I thought we ran effectively enough today.  Obviously, we did enough on Offense today to Win (but I am clearly in the minority on that one).

3 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Thank you Warhead.  It baffles me at times...the Eagles have (in my mind) the best Defensive Line & Defensive Lineman (Fletcher Cox) in The Division.  This is The NFL - the Opponent has strengths too.  And Run Defense for Philly is a strength of theirs.  

All told, I thought we ran effectively enough today.  Obviously, we did enough on Offense today to Win (but I am clearly in the minority on that one).

We did ok. Run blocking has been an issue all year and the Eagles have a good front. But IMO it's not the RB's that are lacking, it's the OL that is underperforming, which was contrary to what another poster implied. I thought Fat Rob ran great today, and he's given the running game a shot in the arm, because he gets yards that are not there.

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It's always something when it comes to the skins, but listening to radio pre-game, Eagles weren't supposed to be on the same field as us.  I get it, Kirk is a beast, but the rest of the team isn't playing on the same level as he is, especially the defense.  Eagles DLine versus our interior oline was a nightmare in the making, yet we still survived it.  Kirk can't save us from everything, but he saved us from that.

1 hour ago, rdskn4eva said:

I'd like to know how we scored 27 points. From watching the game it looked like the offense was struggling.  You know your offense is good when you are off on offense and still score nearly 30 points. 

Yeah its even more pronounced when you carry a historically bad 3rd down D that can limit your TOP

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Defense has been overall fine in more games than not. Offense doesn't need excuses.

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Overall it was an uninspiring game, but in the NFL you take Ws any way they come.

The defense and offense both played their part well enough to win. Still would like to see more from the offensive unit. 

Um, what exactly are you saying? You're not blaming the Offense? Are you?

Just now, Morneblade said:

Um, what exactly are you saying? You're not blaming the Offense? Are you?

Ya man, overall I think the offense has underachieved this year. Certainly don't blame them, but thought they had a chance to be elite this year is all. They've been a good unit, but not close to a dominate unit.

Its truly not a criticism, just think it's all there to be an elite offense.

Just now, wit33 said:

Ya man, overall I think the offense has underachieved this year. Certainly don't blame them, but thought they had a chance to be elite this year is all. They've been a good unit, but not close to a dominate unit.

Its truly not a criticism, just think it's all there to be an elite offense.

Dude. It's the 2nd best O in the NFL. Only real issue is points in the redzone, which is 10th. With a QB that the brass was not convinced was a top QB.

Dafug?

If we don't have this Offense, we're looking up at the Eagles in the division. And probably fighting for a top 5 pick instead of the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Dude. It's the 2nd best O in the NFL. Only real issue is points in the redzone, which is 10th. With a QB that the brass was not convinced was a top QB.

Dafug?

If we don't have this Offense, we're looking up at the Eagles in the division. And probably fighting for a top 5 pick instead of the playoffs.

My bad, I usually hold until Tuesday after a win if I have negative energy lol. 

Im happy with the win and most appreciative to have he opportunity to watch meaningful football late into the year for two consecutive years. 

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I think the issues with the run game are not the RB's but OL. Today, I don't know how many times Fat Rob made 2 or 3 yards after the play getting blown up in the backfield, and how bad anything short yardage run is for us. When you make guys miss and drag 2 guys for 2 yards............and get 2 yards, it's not the RB. For years, we have not had a physical OL, and we still don't. And I don't think we ever will with this group. We probably need to scheme away from being a physical running team, as much as I hate to say it.

I have been very unimpressed with our offensive line as of late, then again they are all playing with injuries or are backups except Trent Williams. Moses has a jacked up ankle and has been toughing it out for a while now. Scherff has a couple issues but has played through it. We're on our third starting center of the year. Kuandjo was in only his second game as a starter or seeing a decent amount of snaps. And we were facing two very stout defensive tackles in Logan and Cox. 

It's not lost on me that after all the Matt Jones/Marshawn Lynch comparisons, it is Fat Rob that runs most like him and the announcers were saying that all day and you can absolutely see it. You're spot on about how bad the blocking was on most of the runs, yet Rob almost always finds a way to turn it into a gain. The number of "great" 1-3 yard runs he has is incredible. And you can see when the line blocks for him he turns it into chunks every time and gets yards after contact. He pushes the pile of fatties and if you get him into the second level watch out. He's one of my favorite players honestly and we need to commit to him more. Getting Long and (ugh) Lauvao back will be a boon I think. At least for the run game. 

10 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

HOF QB Drew Brees threw three ints today, in a game his team lost 16-11.  Too bad, we really needed the Bucs to lose that game.

Right? Bucs, Minnesota, Green Bay, Atlanta....literally everyone we wanted to lose today won. And now we must do the unthinkable and root for Dallas....or root for NYG to lose....or however we have to think of it to stomach it. The way the Bucs defense is playing it's looking like our best chance may be to beat out the Giants for the playoffs :/

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Defense has been overall fine in more games than not. Offense doesn't need excuses.

Pass me some of that good stuff you're smoking,  wow have you actually seen a Redskins game this season?   Do you know the announcer said we have the worst and highest 3rd conversion rate ever....EVER in the entire 80+ years of NFL history!!  This defense is HISTORICALLY BAD

51 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Pass me some of that good stuff you're smoking,  wow have you actually seen a Redskins game this season?   Do you know the announcer said we have the worst and highest 3rd conversion rate ever....EVER in the entire 80+ years of NFL history!!  This defense is HISTORICALLY BAD

Lol, I get it, they're bad...

but if you look at each game individually the defense has given the team a chance in more games than not. 

The offense hasn't helped as much as some might think though. Not many games have they dominated and taken advantage of opportunities to take big leads. The offense is good and not the problem, I just want them to be great and that hasn't materialized this year. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Kelley and Thompson had pretty good numbers on the outside didn't they? I know running straight up the middle it was not good, but every time I noticed when they ran to the outside they picked up some nice chunks of yards, even a score for Thompson.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Overall it was an uninspiring game, but in the NFL you take Ws any way they come.

The defense and offense both played their part well enough to win. Still would like to see more from the offensive unit. 

The offense will not be able to consistently put up 500+ yds of offense every week. Even in 91' there were games where the offense wasn't in high gear but the defense stepped up. I do not know of any team ever in the history of the NFL who had put up big numbers in every game; that's why they call it a 'team' sport.

ok...I think we can all agree Kurt's gettin' bout 5 yrs....120ish million...60 million guaranteed...24 mil a year...whether we agree he's worth it or not...& the market tells us it's probably the going rate by now...can't be too much off, barring some catastrophe...so who will we franchise next year...if we do...is DJax worth the Franchise...maybe unrestricted?...at the very least drive that price up...DJax is worth 10-12 million a year...5year 60 million dollars...lot of outs after 3...good signin' bonus...might be worth it...hell Garcon is worth that I think...get them both for 4 years 'round 100 million...hmmmm that does still sound expensive...anyone know what the price would be for the franchise wr in 2017?...I know, not precisely, but 'bout how much...cause just for insurance if doctson doesn't work out??...course I'm liking Mo...and Grant has been sorta impactful last few games....by the way...is Grant hurt...don't remember seeing him at all...

/edit scratch that franchise thing...it was pert near $15 million for 2016....

and dallas lost...so that makes my day a lil brighter...i think its good that dallas lost....they got something to play for against Tampa next week..it'll be kinda cool to find out how we play prime time...against the panthers...who still have bite....and maybe going into our game we will know with a win we can reclaim our rightful position at wild card...nice dress rehearsal for Wild Card weekend....hellz yeah...

Archived