Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

8 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Losing Logan hurt their run D, he's a stud vs the run (and a FA next year, if you get my drift).  Of course, I was still shocked we ran like we did.

I cannot remember the exact timing, but it seemed like we had some success with him in there. Good point, though.  Regardless, things are tough all over. We lost Keds, who was on pace for 2000% more tackles than last year.

I had theorized Kelley was going to get a lot of touches yesterday.  And maybe he was going to get more, only Jones picked a fine time to up his game and reaffirm he is our starter, at least for another week. Kelley touches are slowly trending up.

I think both Jones and Kelley are trending up and would love if we continue to split their time plus splicing in Thompson because we can keep the wear of them down. If the team continues to win and possibly see the playoffs, we will definitely need a run game to help balance the offense and to help keep the defense well rested which does wonders, aka against the Eagles.

Overall, I would like to see Kelley climb to be our starter but for Week 6, I got no problem with still giving doses to Jones as long as he doesn't do anything negative like fumble or constantly get stuffed at the line.

It's a nice problem to have especially after last season's complete lack of a running game.

3 hours ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

It's obvious to me that Kelley is a better pure RB...he looks decisive...he can make cuts w/out stopping.....Normally, I would give a coaching staff the benefit of the doubt, but not this coaching staff....they consistently don't play the best players and it's very frustrating.

I think they are just making sure they give the starters every chance.  Kelley is getting playing time now, you should be happy.  They just don't want to show that they have a quick hook, they are trying to show team unity not having people looking over their shoulder - and this philosphy is fine as long as we are winning (we are).  Nothing to really be upset about, if Kelley wins the job he wins it, if Matt steps up and starts running better (and he is doing fine - but could be pro bowl caliber) he will keep it.  Give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt - we are 4 and 2.

Was just thinking - I feel like Jones has had to overcome a lot of things in his first 1.25ish years and it could make it tougher getting to the point that everything is just second nature to him.  

Last year it was splitting time with Morris, the fumbles, improving pass pro (something pretty much all rooks go through), learning patience, learning the system, getting used to the NFL and dealing with an oline and TEs that were injured and inconsistent.

This year he's dealt with some of those same things as well as criticism of his vision and his shoulder injury altering the way he deals with contact.

Enough things that I think he sometimes second guesses himself.  He's improving though, and that, coupled with better talent and competition around him, are all that really matter.

On a related note, I loved Kelley's comments about emulating Jones' 'plant and go' and them watching film together.  Also love Kelley's subtle shiftiness when he gets to the 2nd level.  Some have compared it to Emmit and I can certainly see that.  

On 10/18/2016 at 9:09 AM, skinny21 said:

Enough things that I think he sometimes second guesses himself.  He's improving though, and that, coupled with better talent and competition around him, are all that really matter.

Agreed, and just think... if Jones is still putting up these numbers while having all of these (grossly magnified on here) issues, imagine if he continues to improve upon them until they're solved? What kind of numbers are we looking at?

What does it say about his natural athleticism that he can have these issues and still put up these type of numbers? And, no, it's not the Oline simply opening up massive holes, though they're playing very well. His average per carry was solid this season even early on when our Oline was still struggling with run blocking. He's been among the top of yards after contact according to PFF.

Yet, according to many here, he's so incredibly terrible with his vision and "finishing runs", I mean, you have to wonder how he's magically putting up these numbers in their eyes. Were you to read the exaggerated criticisms here without actually watching him play, you'd seriously come away thinking he's just walking through massive holes opened up by the Oline on nearly every play and then someone sneezes on him so he goes down. 

Now, his vision can improve (and it has). He can definitely be more decisive on the second level and run with better pad level there... but he is doing something right to get those numbers. I wish more would mention that when they come on here after yet another 100+ yard game and almost exclusively criticize the kid - who's in his 2nd year - while coming into the league with very little experience in college. It's frankly disturbing.  

For me, if he simply fixes his issues with decisiveness on the 2nd level, he's going to be an absolute stud for us. He's going to be a major problem for opposing defense's and they're going to have to spend a large chunk of their week gameplanning for him. That's extremely exciting for me, as it clearly is with the team judging by how patient they're being with him, and it's why I'll continue to counter the group-think going on here about him.     

On 10/17/2016 at 1:42 PM, justice98 said:

If you'd have told me, at any point, Jones could be on pace for 1100 yards, 8 TDs, and almost 5 ypc, I wouldnt have believed you.  

I absolutely would have believed it. Our line is possibly the best coached and is packed with talent. Jones has all the tools also. 

Were also a high powered passing offense that should never face a packed box. A lot of backs should be able to put those numbers up.

I think the reason I get upset with him, is he has the tools to be special and he isn't.

Does anybody know if the Redskins still have the tradition that, if a RB has a 100 yard day, he owes the OL a dinner? 

When I heard about that, I thought it sounded like a great team-building tradition.  And I wonder if it's still in effect. 

On 10/17/2016 at 3:36 PM, Darth Tater said:

My only issue with Matt Jones is that he's about 2-4 inches taller than ideal.  That's pickin' nits.

He is, but this is why I have said in the past we also need to get him involved in the passing game as much as we can because he presents a big target for Cousins and he can also catch the ball.  It seems we feature Thompson more in the passing game out of the backfield than Jones.  If you guys remember that was the big difference between him and Morris last year, much better hands.

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Does anybody know if the Redskins still have the tradition that, if a RB has a 100 yard day, he owes the OL a dinner? 

When I heard about that, I thought it sounded like a great team-building tradition.  And I wonder if it's still in effect. 

Ha, good question.  I've thought the same about it.  OTOH, imagine an UDFA having to buy dinner for Trent, who could buy the restaurant, the farms they get their ingredients from, helicopters for each teammate to get them there and a personalized clothing line for each to accoutre them for the 'event'.

... it's the thought that counts though :)

4 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Ha, good question.  I've thought the same about it.  OTOH, imagine an UDFA having to buy dinner for Trent, who could buy the restaurant, the farms they get their ingredients from, helicopters for each teammate to get them there and a personalized clothing line for each to accoutre them for the 'event'.

... it's the thought that counts though :)

I learned about the tradition, because of an article in which Rock Cartwright had to do it, once. 

He apologized that it had to be a cheap dinner.  (I think he said he took them to a buffet.) 

And yeah, that was my thought.  (I imagine) it's little traditions like that, that can go a long way towards building a team. 

26 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

He is, but this is why I have said in the past we also need to get him involved in the passing game as much as we can because he presents a big target for Cousins and he can also catch the ball.  It seems we feature Thompson more in the passing game out of the backfield than Jones.  If you guys remember that was the big difference between him and Morris last year, much better hands.

I think that is his best asset. He's a hell of a receiver. He's also faster than CT. I think Jones could be one of the best 3rd backs around. He's a great receiver, solid in pass protection and should be a good short yardage back.

I still don't know if he's got that every down back fire. I see that more in Kelley. The way he finishes runs, looks for contact, etc.

CT god bless him has the biggest of hearts, but not the physical size. If (when) he gets injured, it'll be interesting to see the RB line ups.

I have no idea about Kelley or Mack as receivers, but Kelley did have some nice blocking the last game.

Matt Jones......sigh.  Just not good.  He really isn't.  He repeats the same miscues over & over.  It, he, is tiresome.  I feel like i am in the movie "Groundhog Day" with this team over the last 25 years.  Brief bursts of elation, but mostly deflation.  The life of a Redskins fan is a tough row to hoe.   

1 fumble every 26 touches this season.  1 fumble every 33 touches last season.  He's getting worse - even if you believe in Jones, a message needs to be sent and he needs to not see the field unless Kelley and Thompson are either gassed, injured, or clearly underperforming.

Archived