Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

One game isn't going to sell me on Fat Rob taking over unless he completely goes off and can't not do it. So far, none of them have separated themselves enough to take the dominant amount of carries, nor has one game in my head cost Jones his job (who himself is still young and developing).

Then you haven't been watching closely.  Fat Rob has played well with the few carries he has gotten.  if he goes off then he has a good chance of being the starter going forward.

9 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Then you haven't been watching closely.  Fat Rob has played well with the few carries he has gotten.  if he goes off then he has a good chance of being the starter going forward.

I have, none of them are feature backs right now. You disagree?

We can agree to disagree, but don't tell me what I'm not watching.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17910799

"He's ready to go," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said of Kelley. "He has a limited amount of work but the reps he has, he's done a good job. He runs hard and he runs physical and he has great vision. We're excited to see what he'll do with more reps. Mack had a very strong preseason and that was a tough decision between Rob and Mack [in the final cuts]. We're very comfortable with Mack also."

I hope Jay leaves CT to his normal role, which he has obviously been excelling in.  I see my fantasy guru has him as a top pick on the waiver wire.  CT may be able to take on a bigger load with an extra week to rest, but think it's high time to see what else we have for the coveted ft. back role, what with Jones fumbling away his starters role. We already know what we have in CT.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I hope Jay leaves CT to his normal role, which he has obviously been excelling in.  I see my fantasy guru has him as a top pick on the waiver wire.  CT may be able to take on a bigger load with an extra week to rest, but think it's high time to see what else we have for the coveted ft. back role, what with Jones fumbling away his starters role. We already know what we have in CT.

I think that's the reason for bringing up Mack. to maintain CT role

17 minutes ago, William Barbour said:

I think that's the reason for bringing up Mack. to maintain CT role

Nitpicking a bit.... but I disagree.  GB aside, teams do not roll with just 2 options in the backfield on game days. Remember we have no FB as insurance. I suppose Paul could be a tailback in a pinch. Teams need injury insurance for the ft back every game.  CT has never been that guy.

Mack is solely here to be the backup to Kelley. 

CT gets 8.5 touches per game on average. I do expect him to get a bump up in touches/targets, even if I don't want to see it.  I think Jay plays the bye week angle and uses him a little bit more. It's CT's time to shine almost as much as Kelley.  It's CT atop the PPR waiver wire of must add RBs, not Kelley. I concede that is likely to change as others learn Jones is inactive.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I have, none of them are feature backs right now. You disagree?

We can agree to disagree, but don't tell me what I'm not watching.

1. I get it, you have your reservations about an undrafted rookie RB. I do as well. But, in limited carries this season/pre-season, he's proven to have better vision and a better burst than Matt Jones. It's a pleasure to watch someone hit the hole hard and low... like they're supposed to. As long as he can pass protect and hold onto the ball, knock on wood, he'll be an upgrade.

I was listening to the Cooley n' Kevin Show on 980...and here is Riggo's take on the RB situation

Here's Riggins talkin' about another favorite of mine Earl Campbell...no running back blended his size, speed, ability and power...except for Jim Brown who was 15 lbs lighter...

If the Redskins have any intentions of keeping Jones, they need to pull him out, get his head right and have constant practice with him being hit.

Riggins is politely saying Jones isn't mentally there to handle running the ball; the comments of him possibly running scared does play right into the hesitation at the line, and its not something he can work out in a few practices. With him going down so quickly after the initial hit, that seems like he's too worried about fumbling.

So, pull him out, have the trainers and assistants really school him, beef up his arm strength, and either cut his hair or tuck it inside the helmet; the one thing I cringe at when watching ANY player with their hair hanging all out is its an easy target to grab onto, and one day we will see a player get his hair pulled back causing his head to lift, then a safety coming in and doing some serious damage, possibly career ending damage. Life is more important than style...

Archived