Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

I thought a previous poster mentioned Matt Jones' small hands as a contributing factor to Matt Jones' fumble problem but I cant find that post now to quote to. 

Matt Jones has small hands. At 6'2" he was the tallest RB in the 2015 draft but his hand size of 8 5/8" made him tied for the smallest hands out of the 36 other RBs at the 2015 combine. For comparison, Gurley and Ajayi have a hand size of 10". I didnt do the math but the avg hand size is probably around 9 1/2".

Conclusion, he is a big guy with small hands. His arm length put him near the longest fwiw. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-jones?id=2552635

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/19/8072481/2015-nfl-combine-results-running-backs

Re that tweet - if it is legit, I dont like it. Id bet that he was getting angry skins fans tweets and did it to troll them but your team just lost. Your focus should be on the loss and your contribution to it. Not your twitter feed and not letting annoying pissy skins fans get to you. 

Im trying to still like you and stick up for you Matt but you are making it hard. 

To be clear - your ****ing team is the Washington Redskins not the Philadelphia Eagles. After a game like you just had, you want to add fuel to the fire? That smell is your Not For Long career ending up a statistic. The statistic is 3.3 years.  

Have to work harder and we will ... Back to the drawing board! #HTTRNFL_Season_2016_WAS.png

Chris Thompson @ChrisThompson_4  18h18 hours ago

Tough pill to swallow...

On to the next.

This is a humbling game, but this team won't stop fighting. We will grow from this. #HTTRNFL_Season_2016_WAS.png

Can't believe we gave that game away time to regroup on to the Bengals #HTTRNFL_Season_2016_WAS.png

I think Jones is a good #2 back. 

As of right now tho whenever he gets the ball I can't stand to watch because there's a 50:50 chance he fumbled.

Kinda like FGs a few years ago...hated watching them because we were probably going to miss it.

15 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So basically, problem is that he is tweeting. If he wasn't, you wouldn't **** about it.

We really like to complain about everything, especially if it's not football related.

No most the time people don't care about tweets and stuff unless that person isn't playing very good.

If he looked good and didn't fumble no one would really care about it.

With that being said he didn't play good yesterday and I think Kelly might get a big shot soon and I'm good with that.

Weaknesses

More grinder than every-down running back. Will hit it downhill, but has very little feel for maximizing run creases. Blind to open running lanes. Drops head and burrows into blockers and defenders rather than seeing open space. Must improve patience in setting up blocks. Can juke and shift when headed to line of scrimmage, but doesn't show much creativity and shiftiness once he's on second level. Needs to keep ball tucked and secured to avoid fumbling issues.

We have been saying this almost every game for him.  This is a huge problem without brining up the fumbling problem.

I often thought about that.  Growing up a Redskins fan, if I had been good enough to make the NFL and was drafted by the Bengals, how I would change my allegiance.  I mean, yes, I would be 100% in as a member of the Bengals who are paying me, but I imagine it would be hard to drop the Redskins.

I always wonder about some of our former players who still root for the team, did they have a different team growing up.  Like Collinsworth is still a Bengals fan today. 

Weird to think about that.

Just now, Wildbunny said:

They've been. 16 runs to 10. Jones is getting less than 35% of the run plays so far.

And 0 receptions against 7 for Thompson and 1 for Kelley (TD).

Mind anyone, coaches are slowly taking him out of the offense.

Guy reminds me of Tiki Barber when he first came into the league. Giants did not give up on him instead they taught him how to carry the ball to stop the fumbling issues. He started to carry the ball higher.  Riggins always put both hands on the ball when he came near contact. Redskins will prob cut him and someone else will get production from him.

There are really two issues here and fans seem to have a really hard time separating the two. People are getting all bent out of shape about his tweet (the dumbest ****ing social media tool ever invented but that's another conversation completely), because he had a bad game. That is a totally emotional response. The two are wholly unrelated.

He sucked in that game. No two ways about it. He cost us the game - period. As bad as everything else was, he holds the ball and we win. It's really that simple. He needs to own that which I am have not seen anything to suggest he has not. It will likely cost him playing time and probably his starting role on this team if he doesn't get it fixed.

But what team he roots for as a fan and a person is up to him. Admittedly the timing was probably not the best. But he is young. He was probably trying to find something good out of the day when he knows he did not do his job. You people want him to be miserable because you are pissed at him. Need to get over that ****. Be pissed about his play all you want. But let the young man be about what team he roots for as an individual.

1 minute ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Guy reminds me of Tiki Barber when he first came into the league. Giants did not give up on him instead they taught him how to carry the ball to stop the fumbling issues. He started to carry the ball higher.  Riggins always put both hands on the ball when he came near contact. Redskins will prob cut him and someone else will get production from him.

Yea Tiki was fumbling but no where close to the frequency Jones is and as a runner Tiki was way better than Jones.  I don't want him cut, I said this before he needs to switch position, maybe a TE or a 3rd down RB, but NOT every down RB.  He can't see holes besides the fact that he fumbles.  In otherwords he is leaving yards on the field each game.

3 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

The same people killing him right now will be the same ones complaining that the team let yet another great player go! A not nearly as accurate narrative as people make it out to be, but a frequent refrain from those that like to complain.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

So basically, problem is that he is tweeting. If he wasn't, you wouldn't **** about it.

We really like to complain about everything, especially if it's not football related.

The problem is Jones is a member of the Washington Redskins. He is that whether he is on the field or off.

He needs to act like it. One way you act like it is you don't go around publically cheering on other teams to win. Especially a divisional foe whose winning hurts the chances for the team he is playing on in regards to division titles and playoff appearances. You just don't do it.

This is much like several years ago when Kaepernick, the 49ers QB, was going around wearing a Miami Dolphins hat. :rolleyes: The 49er fan base and media exploded. What the hell is the starting QB of the 49ers wearing a Miami Dolphin hat for?

Of course, Kaepernick acted like a defiant prick about it, till the organization sat him down and straightened the little doofus out. That he is a public sports figure and he represents the 49ers at all times. Not just on the practice and playing field.

Jones needs to do the same thing. Wear his team colors proud.

I mean, let the bosses of a guy who works for Pepsi see him walking around wearing a Coca-Cola hat, and see what happens (or vice versa). :) 

While you make a good point SkinsGuy, at least with Kaepernick it was just a hat.  Sure, it was dumb - but to him it was more about style and matching his outfit. The younger generation constantly wears random teams gear because it matches their shoes or whatever.  Kaep also didn't rock the hat right after losing to them due to a pick six he threw either.

If Matt really tweeted that, what he did was worse than Kaep.  If there was ever a stance I thought this place would be solidified on it would be this one.  I'd imagine most of his teammates wouldn't be very happy about it either.

Just now, TheGreek1973 said:

Yea Tiki was fumbling but no where close to the frequency Jones is and as a runner Tiki was way better than Jones.  I don't want him cut, I said this before he needs to switch position, maybe a TE or a 3rd down RB, but NOT every down RB.  He can't see holes besides the fact that he fumbles.  In otherwords he is leaving yards on the field each game.

FYI Tiki came into the league as a third down pass catching rb and the Giants made him into a full time back so it was not cut in stone as who was better at the beginning. You may be looking at the later years in Tikis carrier. They must have saw something in him as he hung on the team for years, after he was drafted, without much production. Tiki took advantage of the great Giant O line that they had at that time as he ran through massive holes but never knocked anyone over.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

The same people killing him right now will be the same ones complaining that the team let yet another great player go! A not nearly as accurate narrative as people make it out to be, but a frequent refrain from those that like to complain.

He's not great. He has no vision, no cutback ability and he fumbles. There are two backs on the active roster that are better than him right now. If Jones gets cut he'll bounce around the league and fumble on every other roster that he's on. Scott reached and it bit him. Move on. 

Archived