Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I agree. Even today on some of his good runs, if he just gets down and lowers his shoulder and plows through he picks up an extra 2-3 yards. Instead he'll stop and try to dance or hesitate or do some non sense I don't know what. I think Kelley has better instincts as a runner but doesn't have Jones's pure physical talent.

With that said, he was much better today. He cut decisively and ran through some tackles. He's getting better, as a young player he's still developing.

Like his Sanchez esque run into his own lineman?

I bet if the defender who was on the ground and reaching out had touched his sneaker he would have gone down.

I'm going to completely guess here, but it seems like CT gets more carriers after Jones goes down after a few arm tackles and bad reads. I'll also assume he knows the offense much better than Kelley.

I think Kelley's carries continue to increase, especially after the bye and Jones moves into more of a 3rd down back role.

CT seems like the harder more passionate runner out of him and Jones.

Also, I do think Reed being out really does help the ground and pound and when will our Line start getting recognized as one of the best.

Kirk gets near unlimited time to throw and they were opening huge holes today for the run game.

6 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

Yeah, he still leaves a bunch of yards of there, but did a much better job being decisive and making good decisions. He ran through some tackles today which is encouraging. Hope he keeps improving and becomes a starting caliber back.

Was talking to Chris Russell about this yesterday.

It's the mark of a pretty good team when we can **** about yards left on the field and points left on the field after a win instead of just being satisfied with getting wins.

Just don't forget to enjoy this while it's happening.  It's part of the process.

I've said we aren't there yet and there is an absolute brutal run of games to come, some of which could go either way.  So enjoy the ones that come along like this.

EDIT:  But ref: Thompson... go back and watch how Sproiles runs... he was literally no more than 3 feet high on some of his cuts yesterday.  That's kind of where you want your smaller backs to be.  I know Thompson is much bigger than Sproiles, but if he can learn to run that low and make violent cuts - he's exactly what we need.

Just add that to the list of 2007 Giants things we have in common with an 0-2 start - They had Earth, Wind, and Fire in Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw.  We have that in Jones, Kelley, and Thompson.

19 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

It is quite odd to watch Thompson lower his shoulder and the much bigger Jones avoid contact. 

To be honest, Jones gets punished a lot more because he's a bigger target.  Thompson is normally lowering a shoulder into a midsection while Jones is lowering it into another shoulder or a helmet.

He's getting better.

I think Rob Kelley is every bit an Emmitt Smith-esque back... just enough wiggle and runs low to the ground.  And man is he quick to that hole.

Matt played well today. He seems to have some sort of hitch to his step when he runs, doesn't looks super smooth. 

Rob Kelly, looked good on his cuts. Now he is a back that looks more like Lynch with that side to side running style of his.

5 minutes ago, dyst said:

Matt played well today. He seems to have some sort of hitch to his step when he runs, doesn't looks super smooth. 

Rob Kelly, looked good on his cuts. Now he is a back that looks more like Lynch with that side to side running style of his.

To me it just feels like Kelley is he better back. His jump cuts and vision are tremendous. He seems to find cutback lanes and holes that Jones would just run into the back of an OL. It's a good problem to have. 

10 minutes ago, zoony said:

I realy like Kelly

Wonder if he has a fumbling problem or something  

What makes you suggest this? As a reason he's not starting over Jones?

Honestly think the team wants Jones to get into his groove before the reshuffle the starting lineup although the fact we saw some of Kelley might mean were already in that process.

31 minutes ago, zoony said:

I realy like Kelly

Wonder if he has a fumbling problem or something  

I looked around, only site I could find that had fumble stats for his Tulane days showed he did not fumble in his final 3 seasons, never received over 100 carries in season though. 

2 hours ago, dyst said:

I pointed out last week that Matt Jones doesn't seem to have good balance.  He has to chop it down or double stick to make a cut.  Those cuts should be fluid.  A good back makes his one cut and is already on the way to making the next guy miss.  On one play to the left he does a double stick twice and ended up with a decent run.  But if he just has one foot going laterally and the other going up field then he has a huge gain and may break it for a long TD run. 

I also pointed out his lack of vision.  Running into a defender is inexcusable.  Find a crease, get skinny, and get positive yards.

p.s.  Was I the only one screaming at McVay and Gruden to put Kelley in the game around the 4 minute mark?  I just knew that Kelley would get a first down and bleed philly of their TO's.  Instead we run once and pass twice?!?!  If you can't trust Jones to grind out a first down when we need it then why is he the starting back?

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

What makes you suggest this? As a reason he's not starting over Jones?

Honestly think the team wants Jones to get into his groove before the reshuffle the starting lineup although the fact we saw some of Kelley might mean were already in that process.

Or, maybe they are trying do drive up his value to trade him for a decent draft pick next year?  That's the only reason I can see for having Kelley not getting more than 1 more carry after some very impressive runs. 

OMG guys.  16 carries, 135 yards and 8+ yards a carry.  I thought he looked more decisive in hitting the holes this week and ran with a lot more confidence..  As far as running over people, he's a big back, but he's not Eddie Lacy big.  You have to watch how much contact you endure as a RB. 

Come on guys, jeez Louise, he can't break 10 yard runs on every carry.  Riggins used to run for 1, 3, 1, 7, 4, 6, then break off a 25 yarder.  Then hit them with more short runs. Give me a damn break with the complaining about this guy this morning.  There is literally no need to criticize this particular game.

I'm loving the RB by committee.  We get this kind of running all year long and I'll be a happy man.  McVay did what we needed to do.  33 carries. 

Kinda of odd some of us are complaining (me included) about Matt Jones and yet he is 9th in total rushing yards (433) while only having 89 rush attempts putting him at 4.9 yards/carry, which is really good. His total of 24 rushing 1st downs, put him at 6th overall and his 3 TD (albeit low) is tied for 4th over all (lots of folks have 3TD still early in the year). Despite the hate, this guy is having a good year even if it looks like he is leaving a lot of yards on the field.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Kinda of odd some of us are complaining (me included) about Matt Jones and yet he is 9th in total rushing yards (433) while only having 89 rush attempts putting him at 4.9 yards/carry, which is really good. His total of 24 rushing 1st downs, put him at 6th overall and his 3 TD (albeit low) is tied for 4th over all (lots of folks have 3TD still early in the year). Despite the hate, this guy is having a good year even if it looks like he is leaving a lot of yards on the field.

It's not hate, it's constructive criticism. The guy simply leaves a lot of yards on the field. He's 6'2 and nearly 240lbs but he's shying away from contact with little DBs. It's frustrating. Just plow through the guy. 

Riggins played at 230- 240 lbs. in his day when most DTs were 270 and DEs were at 250.  Jones is 240 and most DTs are 300-340 and DEs are 280-320.  I get the "run over the DB" thing, but not all of them are Darrell Green size (5-8. 170).  Big DBs have been drafted to cover the huge WRs they are putting on the field and safeties are more like hybrid LBers nowadays.  Again, Jones doesn't have Eddie Lacy size to constantly run over guys.

First 5 games- Constructive criticism warranted.  This game- None.  He had a great game.

It was nice to finally see some long runs from him, and our offense.  Is there anything better than icing the game with a huge run when the D is desperate for a stop? I thought Philly had a stout front; maybe it was their wide 9 scheme.

Mods, just a thought - how about renaming the thread? e,g, The All Matt Jones Discussion; Monday nights long gone. Leave 'Monday' in the name somewhere if searching is prioritized.

35 minutes ago, Taylor703 said:

It's not hate, it's constructive criticism. The guy simply leaves a lot of yards on the field. He's 6'2 and nearly 240lbs but he's shying away from contact with little DBs. It's frustrating. Just plow through the guy. 

Before this season, posters on here said what you said and I couldnt agree with it ... but now I see it. When he has a full head of steam running down hill, he stops his momentum to do this kinda like stutter/lateral hop move in front of a defender and its frustrating to see. I still like Matt Jones but im starting to see that he does leave yards on the field. Put your head down and punish defenders for 3 quarters and enjoy the fruits of your labor in the 4th by running against a battered and beaten defense. I think Jones will be in the league for a long time (or as long as his body/brain holds up) bc of his physical combination of size and speed alone, even if he never improves from what he is now.  

I want to see him finish his runs better. 

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It was nice to finally see some long runs from him, and our offense.  Is there anything better than icing the game with a huge run when the D is desperate for a stop? I thought Philly had a stout front; maybe it was their wide 9 scheme.

Mods, just a thought - how about renaming the thread? e,g, The All Matt Jones Discussion; Monday nights long gone. Leave 'Monday' in the name somewhere if searching is prioritized.

Losing Logan hurt their run D, he's a stud vs the run (and a FA next year, if you get my drift).  Of course, I was still shocked we ran like we did.

I don't understand the whole "he doesn't have Eddie George size" defense on MJ. He is like the exact same size George was. There is legit criticism on Matt Not playing to his size. It's being addressed though. I have faith it can be fixed as I feel like some runs he does knuckle up, get low and break some tackles to get through the LOS. 

I think the coaching staff just love the potential of Jones. I kinda do too. However I am on board with the criticism as our O line is becoming very good. 

Archived