Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

Is it me just me or does Matt Jones seem like a total different runner than last year.  At the beginning of the season last year when he came he ran with violence and speed.  That sort of tailed off after all of the injuries to the O line last year but this year with most everyone back in place nothing has changed.  It just looks like he is not decisive about hitting the hole.  He hesitates, tries to juke and before he can get started the defense is all over him.  He is a big man but he is not running with power.  Rarely does he move the pile back two or three yards.  Is it him or the OL?  I am just not very confident in our running game unless he plays much better and that does not seem to be coming at the moment.  Its almost like when he was competing with AM for playing time he was running with authority and now that AM is gone and he is the man, he doesn't have the same motivation.  

Crowder on the other hand, looks like a total different returner than he did last year and I have noticed that even before today.  He is doing a much better job this year of just catching the ball and going North and South.  It is noticeable how much better he is.

Matt Jones has poor vision, he is missing hitting the right holes and worse, he stutter steps way too much out in space instead of using his power and size to take on CBs for example.  He left at least 20 extra yards today on the field including a crucial 3rd down conversion.  Watching right now the Dallas game, Morris is had 6 carries for over 40 yards against the Bengals, you can see no hesitation, no stutter steps, hits the hole and goes.

53 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Matt Jones has poor vision, he is missing hitting the right holes and worse, he stutter steps way too much out in space instead of using his power and size to take on CBs for example.  He left at least 20 extra yards today on the field including a crucial 3rd down conversion.  Watching right now the Dallas game, Morris is had 6 carries for over 40 yards against the Bengals, you can see no hesitation, no stutter steps, hits the hole and goes.

I miss that guy

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Agreed. The run blocking is better then last year but Jones just doesn't hit them hard enough. He'll get 5 yards on runs that could easily get 10 or more. He looked to be improving the last two weeks but regressed this week. Too much dancing around, too much hesitating. Just plant that foot and power through the holes. Soon as he jumps or spins or does any of that non sense his momentum is gone and he gets brought down.

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Matt Jones is terrible. Runs high. No power. Poor vision. Just turrible. But McCloughan has the hots for him so we continue to play him.

Yeah, that's the reason why. Couldn't be Chris Thompson isn't viable as starter or that Robert Kelly is an undrafted rookie. Nevermind we started seeing Kelly more today and he didn't fare any better.

4 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

Yeah, that's the reason why. Couldn't be Chris Thompson isn't viable as starter or that Robert Kelly is an undrafted rookie. Nevermind we started seeing Kelly more today and he didn't fare any better.

GMSM has gushed over Jones since the day he drafted him. But he has shown no signs of being an NFL caliber starting RB. Rather play fat Rob.

To me it seemed like Robert Kelley started cutting into his carries. They must be seeing Jones struggling with missed holes and cutback lanes on film. The guy has all the talent in the world but he's just not a very good RB. Sucks, but it is what it is. 

51 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

GMSM has gushed over Jones since the day he drafted him. But he has shown no signs of being an NFL caliber starting RB. Rather play fat Rob.

GMSM doesn't control who starts, the coaches do.

We've parted ways early with other FAs and draft picks GMSM was high on. GMSM has shown he isn't the kind to force the team to hold on to bad players due to ego. Your assertion otherwise is ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

He just doesn't seem the same as last year.   Very timid and indecisive.   We've got to get better play from the RB position with the upcoming schedule if we're going to compete. 

He had one good game last year and thus the Legend of Matt Jones was born. Fans were ready to part with Alf over it as well. Well we parted with Alf and it was a mistake, life goes on. 

I don't get it guys to me he is the SAME Matt Jones of last year.  One great game last year running the ball, one great game this year against the Browns.  He is missing holes, its so freaking obvious with out even seeing the film.  Worse for me is when he is out in space, he is trying to juke CBs, WTF?  Come on man you are 6.3 230lbs and you are trying to juke a 5.10 190lbs CB?  take him on, stiff arm him, run over him. 

You guys realize we were 1 of 6 at 3rd down and one yesterday?  yea it may have been McVay's fault for play calling a pass on a few of these, but if Jones was truly a big stud how many times does he run for a first?  he did it just once.  We got beef up front now that Licht is out, no excuse for him not to demand the ball and make these.

I still think he has talent to be a good back and we have to keep giving him chances. I do believe his issues are correctable.

Kelley right now has better instincts as a runner but doesn't come close to Jones's physical talent and it shows on occasion with how easy it is to bring him down with arm tackles. The ironic thing is Kelley actually runs the way Jones should he's just not as strong/physical.

Thompson is a good 3rd down scatback useful on screens and draws but you don't want him out there too often.

Cooley's review said the exact same things I said in my post right after the game on this guy.  Poor vision, "soft" not hitting holes, stutter stepping when a freaking CB is in front of him.  Very average at best.  In fact if you think he had a good game vs the browns think again.  He probably left over 40 yards by not cutting into the right holes, and he did the exact same thing with the Ravens.

For us to go 1 and 7 on 3rd downs with less than 2 yards to go says the whole story on how much they trust him.  Give it to Kelly seriously.  Hell Jones is a decent receiver, maybe with his size he can be a hybrid TE/WR and replace Davis next year.  RB he is not.

Archived