Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

The advanced stats on him are pretty brutal, particularly yards after contact. He was absolutely terrible last season at 1.44. I think he was last in the NFL. 

Also, Football Outsiders ranked him 44 (last in their rankings) in DYAR - Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement at -92. He was only one of 8 players that had a negative DYAR.

Those numbers trouble me greatly, but I am willing to give him the first 1/4 of the season to show he has improved and can be our lead back.

8 hours ago, s0crates said:

The Marshawn Lynch comparison might be setting the bar a little bit high, but I agree with SM on this one. Matt Jones is big, fast, strong, and doesn't shy away from contract. He can block and catch. He has all the physical tools you want in a RB. 

He had problems with fumbles and seeing his lanes last year. Those problems are correctable. 

If he stays healthy, my money says he has a good year. I'm not exactly sure why people are so down on him.

The Lynch comparisons are crazy IMO. Yes, Matt Jones doesn't shy from contact, but when he gets him he goes right down. That's a problem. See above, his yards after contact stat.

I am not down on him, but he has a LOT to prove. His rookie year was not good. He has potential, but needs to show big improvement. 

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

If they are to sign Thomas, it would be Tuesday when his contract would not be guaranteed.

But why would you sign Thomas? If you plan to keep 4 RBs, you keep Brown. More importantly. who do you drop from the 53 mon roster? And please do not say Sudfield. It's clear the team plans to go with 3 QBs (and as someone else pointed out, so do 2/3s of the NFL).

It might just be interesting to actually let the team play a few games before deciding that Jones is a bust and the teams should carry some past their prime RBs. There is a youth movement here. Thomas was an emergency stop gap last year, and that's all. If he really had something left in him, why hasn't someone else picked him up?  

We have 5 RBs on the roster, 6 if you count Silas Redd (suspended). But realistically 5, 3 active, 1 PS on one on IR. Even if Jones goes down don't look for them to sign a veteran. The only way Thomas gets signed is if we have multiple injuries. Even then there are no guarantees it would him.

2 words. Veteran leadership. Their value is really underestimated, and every young player looks for it and needs it at times. I'm still disappointed that they let Morris go, all because the o-line forgot how to run block.

I get the youth movement thing, but I also understand the importance of veteran leadership. So, we have Jones, Kelley, Thompson, Brown, Marshall and Redd; not exactly names that cause DCs or d-lines around the league to quake in their boots. Inexperience in any dept of a team is a weakness.

If Jones doesn't cut it, waiting 4 or 5 weeks into a season before doing something about it could very well cost this team, because teams need balance; if our RBs can't get the job done it makes this team one-dimensional, and soon after the blitzes will be coming at a steady pace, and someone will get hurt, then poof goes the season, all because of youth movement.

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Redd; not exactly names that cause DCs or d-lines around the league to quake in their boots.

I bet there isn't any DCs shaking in their boots over Redd, unless they owe him money and he's waiting in the parking lot for him.

Redd is never going to play football again. Between not being good and having a crippling injury, he hasn't been on the roster in a while.

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

2 words. Veteran leadership. Their value is really underestimated, and every young player looks for it and needs it at times. I'm still disappointed that they let Morris go, all because the o-line forgot how to run block.

I get the youth movement thing, but I also understand the importance of veteran leadership. So, we have Jones, Kelley, Thompson, Brown, Marshall and Redd; not exactly names that cause DCs or d-lines around the league to quake in their boots. Inexperience in any dept of a team is a weakness.

If Jones doesn't cut it, waiting 4 or 5 weeks into a season before doing something about it could very well cost this team, because teams need balance; if our RBs can't get the job done it makes this team one-dimensional, and soon after the blitzes will be coming at a steady pace, and someone will get hurt, then poof goes the season, all because of youth movement.

I get what you are saying, but I think there is enough veteran leadership on the Offense between TW, PG, and Jackson. I would much rather give carries to Kelly and Brown. Just don't see wasting a roster spot for a 4th RB. So if you sign Thomas you have to release either Thompson or Kelly, which I think would be huge mistake. I will admit this is a new position for me. I had our roster keeping Kelly and Brown before the roster came out. But after seeing the roster I agree with keeping only 3.

Losing Morris while unfortunate had to happen. He just does not fit this offence. But I liked him too. Would have been Ok if they kept him. I think it's just a matter of moving forward.

Morris was a pretty good back suffering from a crappy o-line.

Yes, his shining moments were with Shanny and his style, but he still kept LBers honest and he wasn't a fumble machine. He could also take a hit, unlike Jones, but maybe he will get better with ball security and shake the 1st man tackle thing, only time will tell, but I'm still in favor of Mack Brown getting more playing time; I think he is the hidden gem in that dept.

On 9/10/2016 at 4:56 PM, skinsfan212689 said:

I think the game will be rather close so I think we'll use Jones often. 

21 carries 90 yards 1TD

3 catches 21 yards

I dont know if Gruden/McVay/Callahan trust Jones yet. They left him inactive for stretches of games last year. If he fumbles, I could see his touches greatly reduced in a close game. I really want to see Jones take the next step bc he has a nice combo of power and speed with decent wiggle.    

4 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont know if Gruden/McVay/Callahan trust Jones yet. They left him inactive for stretches of games last year. If he fumbles, I could see his touches greatly reduced in a close game. I really want to see Jones take the next step bc he has a nice combo of power and speed with decent wiggle.    

Good point but I think they (Gruden,McVay and Call) are putting all or most of their eggs in Matt Jones' basket. He had no real competition all off season and his back ups has questions as well.

I just think some of us fans are writing him off (so to speak) a little him too soon.

If he fix his fumbling problem which is very fixable, then he'll be our starting RB for some years to come.

On 9/10/2016 at 6:59 PM, bowhunter said:

Am I the only one who has concerns about a RB with suspect ball security trying to return from a AC shoulder injury ? Add in the fact that it's against Pittsburghs tough run D and I fear it's a recipe for grass stained footballs.

I actually think if we do have success running the ball, it will be with Kelly.

Tonight is going to be tough sledding for Jones.  I will be shocked if he earns over 50 yards on the ground.  Kelly will get some carries and get around 25-30.  Total for the game will be under 80 yards rushing.  Cousins is going to be called upon to win this game tonight.

I would be very tempted to call up the Chiefs and ask about Jamaal Charles. He would be a perfect fit in the Gruden offense. They have great RB depth that would make Charles expendable. Maybe a conditional 5th that can turn into a 4th. Not sure what we would have to give up to be honest, but I think Charles would fit very well here.

Keim was on the radio last week and said that everyone in the building still has full confidence in Matt Jones, so I think (and hope) that he'll have a decent game tonight.  If there was any of weaknesses or doubt, nothing really leaked out during training camp or preseason.  

33 minutes ago, RRiz said:

I would be very tempted to call up the Chiefs and ask about Jamaal Charles. He would be a perfect fit in the Gruden offense. They have great RB depth that would make Charles expendable. Maybe a conditional 5th that can turn into a 4th. Not sure what we would have to give up to be honest, but I think Charles would fit very well here.

Too injury prone and too old for this GM.  Just throw R. Kelly in the game, he is a natural runner and perfect for the power scheme that Callahan wants to run.

Charles is a shiny object, don't do it man!

Archived