Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

He's still too much of a rookie mentally...

too eager sometimes and too hesitant other times. Too often tries to extend plays sideways ending up going backwards.

hopefully he gets it along the way. You can see bursts of a good RB sometimes. 

Humbling experience for the whole team last night.. We're not a contender yet, work in progress. 

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

This is on ScottM man, we let go of a reliable back like Morris for this guy that will never amount to anything.  Morris looked better than Zeke on Sunday.  I just hope the God we don't implode because some of these decisions seem are coming back to hunt us.

Elliott got twice as many carries but Morris was equal to him in yards you are absolutely right.  And I think it is going to continue, although we may make Elliott look like something he is not this Sunday.  Elliott is over hyped IMO.   But with our D line, well you saw it last night, a 33 year old dude shredding it.

I was disgusted when we traded Morris mainly because I knew Morris was the best we had, was reliable,  stayed healthy and fought for extra yards.  When you say you are going to play "physical" then you need someone like Morris back there.  He will pound for the extra yards and is not afraid of contact.  

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

This is on ScottM man, we let go of a reliable back like Morris for this guy that will never amount to anything.  Morris looked better than Zeke on Sunday.  I just hope the God we don't implode because some of these decisions seem are coming back to hunt us.

Considering all the flak and **** Morris got last year on how he was done, how he was old and such from the majority around here it didn't looked like a bad move to let it go.

Heck I don't recall ES crying when Morris was let go and signed with the Cowboys... Nobody really cared.

So having guys now saying that was a mistake, after just 1 game, is pretty funny.

40 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Considering all the flak and **** Morris got last year on how he was done, how he was old and such from the majority around here it didn't looked like a bad move to let it go.

Heck I don't recall ES crying when Morris was let go and signed with the Cowboys... Nobody really cared.

So having guys now saying that was a mistake, after just 1 game, is pretty funny.

I questioned it then and I still question the move.  Alfred Morris got screwed here. I do not get what they see in Matt Jones, aside from his big body.

48 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You are totally wrong, a lot of people said WTF?  Especially when our wonderful coaching staff came out and said Jones is a stud and he is the man....  Tell me who of us thought that?  Personally I would start Kelly against the boys just because to show this guy he is liable for his performances.

I think Jones actually did okay. Popped a few 7,8,9 yard runs. Got caught for zero or negative yards other times. Biggest problem is that we had too small a sample size to know. Maybe the staff was protecting him because they weren't confident about the shoulder. If that was the case, they ought to have put Kelley in. Letting an opponent know that you are one dimensional and that they can all but ignore the rush is a recipe for disaster. More, not rushing against 3 man rushes with the rest of the D (including the LBS) way off the line of scrimmage is stupid.

Kirk shouldn't been checking to a run over and over again. Even if they would only get 3. 4, 5 yards. Force their D into some semblance of honesty esp. in the first half. The failure to adjust (see my thread) to what the opponent is doing is nuts.

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I questioned it then and I still question the move.  Alfred Morris got screwed here. I do not get what they see in Matt Jones, aside from his big body.

Yeah,  a bunch of us understood the move, but expressed disappointment and sadness. Morris didn't do much to earn that second contract and it was clear the coaching staff had turned away from him.  Still, Morris' problems were not all about Morris. No one ran the ball effectively last year and Alfred was the least stinky of a odorous bunch.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think Jones actually did okay. Popped a few 7,8,9 yard runs. Got caught for zero or negative yards other times. Biggest problem is that we had too small a sample size to know. Maybe the staff was protecting him because they weren't confident about the shoulder. If that was the case, they ought to have put Kelley in. Letting an opponent know that you are one dimensional and that they can all but ignore the rush is a recipe for disaster. More, not rushing against 3 man rushes with the rest of the D (including the LBS) way off the line of scrimmage is stupid.

Kirk shouldn't been checking to a run over and over again. Even if they would only get 3. 4, 5 yards. Force their D into some semblance of honesty esp. in the first half. The failure to adjust (see my thread) to what the opponent is doing is nuts.

I agree with this. People are saying the running game stinks, and maybe it does, but how can you tell if you don't even try to establish the run? We had 12 total running plays last night, and that includes a scramble (also we averaged about 5 yards per carry on those plays, and our only TD was on a running play). 

Maybe we cannot run the ball, or maybe it is closer to the truth to say we do not run the ball. To establish the run you have to commit to the run, and that is something we didn't even try to do. 

I have zero confidence that Jones can turn the light on. He has some serious flaws for a pro RB. The worst is his inability to run low, and compact. Even when there is a hole to hit... he gets stood up and dropped nearly every time. I would think thats correctable, but the coaches dont seem to notice... or care about it.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Plenty of guys wanted Morris back. 

On 9/10/2016 at 11:56 PM, Aireskoi said:

I don't remember Scot saying he changed his mind about Matt.  He didn't sign anyone to challenge him to start (veteran) and he let the veteran RBs go.  He only used a 7th rounder and picked up an undrafted guy to add to the position.  His actions say he believes in Matt.

The comments are from last year, but this has been his plan all along:

----

Lauvao is the starting LG again, Scherff year 2, Trent is Trent, Vernon Davis blocking, offense should have great balance...

So based on that I expect over 100 yards and over 4 YPC.  

Well Scot made a fool out of me.  I thought Matt was ready to take the next step.  Kinda.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:09 AM, s0crates said:

I agree with this. People are saying the running game stinks, and maybe it does, but how can you tell if you don't even try to establish the run? We had 12 total running plays last night, and that includes a scramble (also we averaged about 5 yards per carry on those plays, and our only TD was on a running play). 

Maybe we cannot run the ball, or maybe it is closer to the truth to say we do not run the ball. To establish the run you have to commit to the run, and that is something we didn't even try to do. 

(From last week)

He ran well tonight, but they didn't stay with it.

4 minutes ago, Aireskoi said:

He ran well tonight, but they didn't stay with it.

Yeah. Jones really seemed to get rolling in the first half, but he was a forgotten man I the second. 

I'd like to see closer to 25 runs and 35 passes than the 15 runs and 45 passes we've seen in the first two games.

I think Jones could be a beast if we fed him more.

• 2 weeks later...

He's getting more and more comfortable out there. I mentioned this in the gameday thread, but what I'm seeing from him is excellent vision and decisiveness behind the LOS, however, once he gets to the second level he's still struggling with how to finish and is too timid. 

But we saw today what more and more reps did for that problem. This kid's talent is through the roof and I believe with more experience he's going to start finishing runs on the second level the proper way more consistently. 

Archived