Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

6 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

There's a reason he's never been "the guy" anywhere. 

TBH he's just in is second year in the NFL and only have been on one team...

He's not an old seasoned vet that bounced back from team to team.

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If it was legit, it's gone now.

That tweet is even more disturbing than his inability to hold on to the football.  I just can't imagine proclaiming fandom for a division rival ever, but particularly after you cost your own team a game.

Who cares whose team is he fan of? It's not like he played like crapped against the eagles because he wanted them to win.

We can criticize the guy when it's legit, but let's not make up for things that doesn't even exist.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Who cares whose team is he fan of? It's not like he played like crapped against the eagles because he wanted them to win.

We can criticize the guy when it's legit, but let's not make up for things that doesn't even exist.

Going 12 for 27 with 2.5 fumbles and immediately going out of your way to cheer for a division rival is nothing?

5-2 was too good to be true.  Turnovers killed us.  This time it wasn't Cousins with a dagger pick, it was Jones with a dagger fumble at the goal line.  It's hard to consistently win games on the road.  The Lions had a laundry list of injuries & still found a way to win at home.  Kind of like Skins last week vs Eagles.  Matt Stafford is playing at a high level & seems to own the Skins.  Have to move on.  

5 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm not sure the criticism gets more legit than that.  This dude just averaged 2.25 yards a carry and practically gifted a game to the opposition.  He should be distraught and feel terrible about letting down his actual team, not excited about his favorite team that happens to be our division rival.

He can be a fan all he wants, but he shouldn't be stupid enough to tweet excitement about their win after his real team took a terrible loss that was mostly his fault.

You can't continue to fumble once a game and expect to continue to play.  I think at this point, Thompson is getting the majority of playing time because of his experience and he doesn't fumble.  Kelley is still raw and even if he is able to run the ball, doesn't mean he's ready for all the pre-snap reads and blitz pickups.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure the criticism gets more legit than that.  This dude just averaged 2.25 yards a carry and practically gifted a game to the opposition.  He should be distraught and feel terrible about letting down his actual team, not excited about his favorite team that happens to be our division rival.

He can be a fan all he wants, but he shouldn't be stupid enough to tweet excitement about their win after his real team took a terrible loss that was mostly his fault.

Yeah not sure why anyone would disagree with this. It's official, I hate Matt Jones.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have no problem regarding his actual play on the field and saying that we're not getting enough out of him. Or that those fumbles were costly.

But going against the guy like he's a seasoned vet (when he's just entering his second year in the league) or because he's a fan of another team is stupid. Especially when that said guy played quite well against the team is a supposed fan of. So he was at least propfessionnal to put up a 57 yarder with the game on the line. It could be taken into the argument if he played poorly in that game, but he didn't.

I believe this fan thing is being blown out of proportion because it's the eagles. Would we be saying the same thing if it was the Raiders, Jags, Chiefs or 49ers? Not even close.

Blame the guy all you want for being crappy on the field. Leave his fandom aside, he's allowed to get excited or whatever if his favorite team performs well.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Blame the guy all you want for being crappy on the field. Leave his fandom aside, he's allowed to get excited or whatever if his favorite team performs well.

I'm curious - would you be upset if he walks around town wearing Eagles swag.

Personally, I think his favorite team should be the one that writes his paycheck, and if it isn't, his preferences should never see the light of day.

6 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm talking about his college days. He wasn't even the guy there. This is mentioned in nearly every game we play.

First, Matt Jones cost us this game today - no other way to see it. His fumble into the EZ was the difference, not just in score but it just set the tone.

Having said that, let's get a little perspective. The guy is still a person and allowed to be a fan. It's pretty sad when the players remember it's a game more than the fans. The guy had one of his best games against philly - so it's not like he laid down for them. Also, seeing philly beat up on MN shows they can get beat and how to do it. That's good for us. Did you ever think of that?

Blaming him for the any part of the fumble from Cousins falling down is just bull****. Sometimes **** happens. There is nothing he could have done about that outside just getting lucky. Blame Long who got blown up and tripped Cousins. Blame Cousins for not just eating the ball. Matt was a bystander on that one. Again, need a little perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a big Jones fan - far from it. I hope Rob gets more carries. Further, I don't really disagree he is probably not the long term answer at RB. But blaming him for **** he had nothing to do with and being pissed because on his own time he is actually a fan of the game is a bit over the top.

Thompson has been good, but he is getting as many carries as he can probably handle due to his size. If you start raising his number of carries and he has to take more hits, he might not hold up.  The head-scratcher to me is why hasn't Robert Kelly earned more than 4 carries in a game?  After he did well against Eagles, why not give him say....10 carries against the Lions?  Increase the carries and see if his performance holds up to a rising work load.

Seriously Matt Jones should not be starting. Fumbling the ball is not just a game changer in certain situations (yesterday it was exactly that) but it plays with the psychic of the offense and the player.  We have Kelly who has shown he can play Thompson and we have Brown on the PS.  Marshall I think is shutdown for the year.  Right now if I were Gruden I would seriously think of benching him and see who I can release to bring Brown from the PS and then go with Kelly, Thompson and Brown for a few games. 

While I agree a player has the right to be a fan of another team it's one thing to wear the hat of the Cowboys while attending a Nats game, or to even say you were a fan of a division rival when you were a kid.  It's another thing entirely to boast about a division rival right after you were the biggest reason your team lost a heart breaker.  Again the tweet may not be true, I'm just responding to the notion that there was no reason for criticism.  Sorry there is every reason for criticism if true.

As for the fumbles let's not forget the fumble he got back earlier in the game.  That is where 2 fumbles came from, the Kirk stumble was charged to Kirk.  Let's not also not forget that even after a good long run, most through a hole most capable NFL running backs would have had similar success running through, he goes down like he was shot at first contact far too often. 

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

I believe this fan thing is being blown out of proportion because it's the eagles. Would we be saying the same thing if it was the Raiders, Jags, Chiefs or 49ers? Not even close.

If the tweet was real (and I have no idea if it is), the problem with it is the timing.

The team he plays for just suffered a heart-breaking loss. A loss that he, Matt Jones, had a VERY big hand in being responsible for.

Yet, just a couple of hours later, instead of being unhappy, miserable, and beside himself that he let his coaches, teammates, and the fans down, he's happy and excited that his favorite team won Sunday.

A team that just happens to be a divisional foe that we are trying to better than so we can get into the playoffs. He's tweeting about it. :wtf:

I'm starting to understand why Gruden was critical before of Jones, saying he needed to get his head straight.

I have no problem with Jones being an Eagles fan if that is what he wants to be, but the tweet was NOT smart, and damn inappropriate.

Jones is a member of the Washington Redskins. He should act like it and keep his Eagle fandom on the down-low.

Archived