Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Fla. police shoot black man with his hands up as he tries to help autistic patient

Sticksboi05

Police union chief says north MIA cop who shot mental health pro Thot he was in danger, aimed for autistic man, and missed.

That doesn't make things any better....so he was trying to kill the man with Special Needs (that was sitting in the street play with a toy truck) because he thought the Mental Health Pro that was laying on back with his hands up and talking to the Autistic man was in trouble?!  Really?!

So the cops thought the therapist was in trouble despite him yelling "He doesn't have a gun, it's a toy truck!?"  Huh?

If the cop was aiming for the autistic guy and shot the black guy on accident why didn't he say so when the black guy asked him why he was shot?

This doesn't make much sense, and goes back to my point that there *always* seems to be some kind of behind-closed-door concocted justification.

That doesn't make things any better....so he was trying to kill the man with Special Needs (that was sitting in the street play with a toy truck) because he thought the Mental Health Pro that was laying on back with his hands up and talking to the Autistic man was in trouble?! Really?!

Cop basically has two things he can say.

1). I feared for my life (or someone else's)

2). Guilty, Your Honor.

Not really surprising he's going with Option 1.

It's not entirely unbelievable that he was shooting at the autistic fellow with the toy train.  If there is one group that may be able to claim to have a least positive relationship with police, it may very well be anyone suffering from a mental illness or disorder.  

It doesn't excuse anything, if anything it makes this situation more infuriating.     

I know you meant well, PeterMP, and in a perfect world it shouldn't have been an issue. But I'd never touch a cop to get his attention, especially if he can't see me coming.

To me this sort of just points to more poor training.  I was a good bit away from him when I picked the license up.  He never turned his head to see me where I could catch his attention.

If you are going to react to somebody touching you like that, you have to be more aware of your surroundings to the point that he'd have seen me coming, or be standing with something to your back where people can't approach you from behind.

(Realistically, I think he wasn't paying any attention to what was around him and was watching the band that was playing, and I really surprised him.)

So the cops thought the therapist was in trouble despite him yelling "He doesn't have a gun, it's a toy truck!?"  Huh?

If the cop was aiming for the autistic guy and shot the black guy on accident why didn't he say so when the black guy asked him why he was shot?

This doesn't make much sense, and goes back to my point that there *always* seems to be some kind of behind-closed-door concocted justification.

This is even more telling I think:  

If this was an accident and he was shooting at the autistic guy, why did they then arrest and handcuff the black guy and leave him bleeding on the sidewalk?   

edit - damn beaten to the punch

Isn't that already the policy of every major police force? I'm not saying that's the policy they actually follow, but what they say they follow.

Not really. I'd like to see stats on how often police use tazers or pepper spray, because I can think of a couple of events that have happened recently where that might of been a better idea, especially against someone who's unarmed. I feel a lot of them are trained and prepared for the worst, even if that's not the situation they run into.

http://ktla.com/2016/07/21/north-miami-police-chief-says-answers-forthcoming-in-shooting-of-therapist/

‘He Missed,’ Police Union President Says of Officer’s Shooting of Florida Therapist With Hands Up

New details are emerging in the investigation of a police-involved shooting in North Miami that wounded an unarmed therapist trying to care for a man with autism.

Cellphone video taken moments before the shooting shows Charles Kinsey, who is black, holding both hands high in the air as another man sits on the ground next to him. The officers had received a call of an armed, suicidal man who they believed to be the man next to Kinsey. Instead of a gun, however, he was armed only with a toy truck.

“The movement of the white individual looked like he was getting ready to discharge a firearm into Mr. Kinsey,” said John Rivera, president of the Miami-Dade County Police Benevolent Association, according to Miami television station WSVN. “The officer discharged, trying to strike and stop the white male, and unfortunately, he missed.”

That officer, who has only been identified as a 30-year-old Hispanic man who has been with the department for four years, has been placed on administrative leave. He could face criminal charges depending on the findings of the investigation.

“I took this job to save lives and help people,” said the officer in a statement released by the union. “I did what I had to do in a split second to accomplish that and hate to hear others paint me as something I’m not.”

So their official story is they shot the therapist to prevent him from being shot. After the therapist announced to them that the autistic man did not have a gun but merely a toy train.

And then they handcuffed him and refused him immediate medical treatment, cause autism.

Strange case. At best the officer is completely incompetent. I doubt a prosecutor could or would make criminal charges stick, but this officer should be fired,

Yes.  When the officer was asked "Why did you shoot me?", his answer was, "I don't know."

Load me up.  I can do that all day. 

Except I don't, and not only because I can't...well, at least not with that excuse, anyway.  ;)

It's like anything else.  You have a reason for what you did or said, or an excuse.  With shootings, there should be no excuses.  jmho

Yes.  When the officer was asked "Why did you shoot me?", his answer was, "I don't know."

Load me up.  I can do that all day. 

Except I don't, and not only because I can't...well, at least not with that excuse, anyway.  ;)

It's like anything else.  You have a reason for what you did or said, or an excuse.  With shootings, there should be no excuses.  jmho

Its obvious that he popped off and then when realizing he missed and hit the wrong guy, suddenly saw a vision of his whole career, maybe life, get flushed and changed forever, hence the dumb answer.

Re: toy train - if the videographer can clearly hear him telling them it wasn't a gun, why not the cops?

Re: handcuffed for 20 minutes after being shot - there were several cops there. They all should be accountable for such horrible treatment.

Also, I would be lying if I didn't breathe a sigh of relief when I found out the officer was not of European descent.

Thank God Charles Kinsey and the autistic young man survived.

I'm sorry, that cop is lying. Nothing about his behavior suggests the autistic man was the target. The "I don't know" is damning for his story. The leaving him on the pavement bleeding is even worse. He was shooting at Kinsey and he's a terrible shot, thank God.

Also, he apparently has a disability himself and can't hear or comprehend what Kinsey was saying about the autistic man. Nope. It's going to be a weapon in his hands no matter what anyone says. I don't think his protestions would stand up in court. But let's be honest, the thin blue line has followed their protocol and circled the wagons already. This isn't going to court. He won't be indicted. Way to continue the cycle, guys. If another psycho ambushes cops again, don't feel obligated to take any responsibility.

Archived