Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Fla. police shoot black man with his hands up as he tries to help autistic patient

Sticksboi05

What do you mean by "the one"? 

As for this case, it's just unexplainable - that guy appeared to be totally compliant, and was not a threat whatsoever. 

Every day when the cops seem to shoot a black guy, people are constantly finding holes and excuses why it was justifiable.

This seems like it could be the one that even the biggest cop defenders can't defend.

You see something like this and everyone has to admit there is a problem. A glaring hole in our society.

Stress is undeniably at an all time high right now.   3 shots is one seconds trigger pulling.   Easily done due to nerves IMO.  

Granted. But it still doesn't excuse him shooting in the first place. Not saying you said that. Just saying in general.

. Scared, jittery officer.

This isn't meant to be a justification for the shooting but I think what I quoted needs to be acknowledged also.  I think the cop was 100% wrong in shooting him from what I can tell.  But I also understand the police being very trigger happy considering what is going on nowadays.  Again, I think the cop was wrong!  But something needs to be done to figure out how to defuse tensions on both sides!

Every day when the cops seem to shoot a black guy, people are constantly finding holes and excuses why it was justifiable.

This seems like it could be the one that even the biggest cop defenders can't defend.

You see something like this and everyone has to admit there is a problem. A glaring hole in our society.

This is a horrific event.  It doesn't necessarily have to be part of some national movement of cops shooting black people for sport.

The cop should and certainly will face discipline for this.

Stress is undeniably at an all time high right now.   3 shots is one seconds trigger pulling.   Easily done due to nerves IMO.  

I understand that rational, but I just can't subscribe to it in this case.

And I almost always give the police the benefit of the doubt.

And, by the way, this is why you're trained not to have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot. This exact reason. So, I'm having  a hard time with this as an excuse.

All they have to do is say they thought he had a gun, or that he had one and was going for it.

Thats like the 3rd down screen pass in their playbook

An officer's job description is dealing with high stress situations. That is what they are trained to deal with. That is why they are compensated w good pay, benefits, pensions etc. 

They have to be held to a higher standard vs me or you out there w no training. 

what happened before the video starts? Who made the call to the police and what did they say they were 'seeing'? Why the hell were the cops already behind cover when the video starts?

Someone called to say someone was walking around with a gun. It was the autistic kid holding a toy truck.

I want you all trying to explain this to think about something and try to be honest with yourself...

If the autistic kid holding a toy truck was white and if the therapist who got shot was white, and the exact same situation plays out--sitting down in the middle of the street, hands in the air, "Don't shoot. He's autistic. I'm his therapist. I'm trying to help him."--do you honestly believe shots are still going to be fired? Honestly?

At this point, I think the sides are already drawn up.  You've either acknowledged that SOME of the police use excessive (to include deadly) force, or you're never going to acknowledge it. 

An officer's job description is dealing with high stress situations. That is what they are trained to deal with. That is why they are compensated w good pay, benefits, pensions etc. 

They have to be held to a higher standard vs me or you out there w no training. 

Good pay and benefits? What Utopian world do you live in? Cops in Miami make $46k. Working 12 hour shifts. Dealing with the worst of the human race on a daily basis.

Having said that, dude should be fired and charged. No reason to shoot at all, much less the guy that is cooperating. Terminate and charge with assault with a deadly weapon and various other charges.

I think in this situation if it truly was an accident, then an apology would go a long way rather than trying to conjure up some sort of justification behind closed doors.  No doubt this video is going to get viewed millions of times, it is only a matter of time before it becomes part of the bigger discussion.  I have not ready anything yet about police responding to it one or another.

It seems like there is a pattern of always coming up with a justification for things like this regardless of how loose or outrageous it sounds, instead of simply saying "Oops, sorry"

I am interested to see what they have to say before further diving into it.

This is a horrific event.  It doesn't necessarily have to be part of some national movement of cops shooting black people for sport.

The cop should and certainly will face discipline for this.

Except that there are two guys.  One is a black guy flat on his back with his hands in the air.  The other is a white guy with what may be, might be, could be a weapon in his hand.  And they shoot the black guy.   God only knows why.  But for that reason alone, it's going to fit the current national narrative.

As the woman in the video said, "Why they shoot the black guy and not the fat guy?"

This one seems reminiscent of the Fairfax County policing shooting of unarmed John Geer in the doorway of his home.  The shot was fired inexplicably.  Eventually the police officer who fired the shot was convicted of a crime.  But it took many many months, and the justifications for the shooting had to be knocked down one-by-one. 

http://dailycaller.com/2015/02/20/new-details-on-the-killing-of-unarmed-virginia-man-john-geer-by-cops/

Except that there are two guys.  One is a black guy flat on his back with his hands in the air.  The other is a white guy with what may be, might be, could be a weapon in his hand.  And they shoot the black guy.   God only knows why.  But for that reason alone, it's going to fit the current national narrative.

As the woman in the video said, "Why they shoot the black guy and not the fat guy?"

If everything is right and 3 shots were taken, then only one shot hit anything.  I think it is probably safe to say the person that got hit probably isn't very significant, especially his legs are extended out towards the other person.

You can be pretty sure the cop wasn't aiming for his knee.

I want you all trying to explain this to think about something and try to be honest with yourself...

If the autistic kid holding a toy truck was white and if the therapist who got shot was white, and the exact same situation plays out--sitting down in the middle of the street, hands in the air, "Don't shoot. He's autistic. I'm his therapist. I'm trying to help him."--do you honestly believe shots are still going to be fired? Honestly?

I absolutely do not think a white guy would have been shot.  The fear that led to this,  IMO,  is tied to current national events.   It's not rational fear.  You had a couple black nutjobs go on cop killing sprees in "revenge" of mistreatment by cops.  Cops are on jittery edge worrying about it, and given the circumstances,  black suspects are going to draw their paranoid concern.  Trained or not, they are human and suspect to all our frailties.   Not excusing the shooting.   All appearances are it was completely unjustified.  He should lose his job at a minimum.    Police forces nation wide need to be hammering home and training on this.   We're seeing too many shootings when there is a potential threat but not a clear and present danger.  

The view just before the shot was fired.  The counselor who was shot is the black guy flat on his back with his arms in the air, telling the autistic man to stay still, and yelling to the police that his companion is autistic and that the object in the autistic man's hands is a toy truck.

Is that the actual view just before?  Where did that come from?  The video cuts off, right?

Good pay and benefits? What Utopian world do you live in? Cops in Miami make $46k. Working 12 hour shifts. Dealing with the worst of the human race on a daily basis.

Having said that, dude should be fired and charged. No reason to shoot at all, much less the guy that is cooperating. Terminate and charge with assault with a deadly weapon and various other charges.

In 2010, Miami New Times investigation revealed that more than half the cops in Miami Beach made six figures a year, and some racked up more than $200,000. What's more, some of the highest-paid officers had some of the worst records.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/half-of-miami-beachs-best-paid-employees-are-cops-including-three-suspended-last-year-6553078

I dont want to derail this thread but officers and fire fighters are compensated well imo. This doesnt include a valuation of the pensions, early retirement, benefits etc. or the private security jobs they also take on. 

Officers should be well compensated but many also maximize the system with overtime. 

Archived