Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

That new full version trailer doesn’t make me feel any better. 

Really don’t like the casting for Han at all and I stand by my original opinion this will cheapen the OT character by removing so much of the mystery of his past that was part of what made him compelling to begin with 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That new full version trailer doesn’t make me feel any better. 

Really don’t like the casting for Han at all. 

I'm not sure I would have liked anyone for the role since Harrison Ford will always be Han Solo to me. 

I am not a huge fan of this trailer or movie. But I wasn't thrilled about Rogue One when I first heard about it either. I was even less thrilled about it when all the stories about reshoots and edits after filming had finished. So we'll see.

I did think he sounded anything like Han either.

Looks more like a JJ Abrams Captain Kirk story then a Han Solo movie. I was hoping for more of a space western feel then this Disney'd out epic, super fun whatever. 

Casting is of Han is definitely suspect and Emilia Clarke's one line in the trailer sounded dumb. I think Donald Glover would make a better Han Solo then that guy. Not sure if Woody and Paul Bettany can save this movie.

The movie just feels so unnecessary.  Rogue One at least felt like part of the on-going saga despite it being a "stand alone" movie.

I suppose the prequels have already done the damage, but I hate that it seems with Disney's acquiring of the franchise, it seems like they are going to turn it into just another thing that is over exposed and watered down.

2 hours ago, Mooka said:

I think Donald Glover would make a better Han Solo then that guy. 

No, absolutely not. 

He is the most over hyped guy in the last decade. 

His acting is almost as mediocre as his rapping, I mean comedy, I mean he is just an entertainer... 

All I see is a new Jerry Lewis. Sure he was a caricature... but he was never really good at anything. 

I do wish him success however. Hell, other folks with less versatility have been around for many years.  

11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

No, absolutely not. 

He is the most over hyped guy in the last decade.

He was great in Lethal Weapon

21 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I hate to say it but George Lucas screwed up.

Should have never sold his baby and just made Episode 7,8 etc himself.

Yes, I know he's not the greatest director but he "gets" Star Wars.

My God, no.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I hate to say it but George Lucas screwed up.

Should have never sold his baby and just made Episode 7,8 etc himself.

Yes, I know he's not the greatest director but he "gets" Star Wars.

This. 

Outside of Rogue One, Disney is really starting to make the Prequels more acceptable. :ols: 

• Like 1

I liked Rogue One.

Here's the fundamental problem with the Star Wars universe: It's really really really tiny. Frankly, if it weren't for the great costume designers and the good people of Kenner, Star Wars would literally be a story about two kids, their dad, their best friend, and their dad's boss.

I know there are nerds who love the extended universe books, but the little time I spent with those it seemed like the stories were about various and sundry Skywalkers fighting either each other or clones or ghosts of the bad guys from the original Holy Trinity.

There just aren't any stories I actually want told at this point. I don't need a story about Han's early years (though I'll go to the theater for this because of course I will). I don't want the Adventures of Boba Fett. I could possibly be interested in a middle-aged Obi Wan story if Ewan MacGregor was involved.

But the problem with all these stories is you know that Han and Chebacca and Lando and Obi-wan and whoever have to survive until they cross paths with Luke.

Here's an idea: Luke and Biggs in a Hardy Boys mystery. Make the stakes shockingly low.

Aside from that, there are only really two directions to go:

1.  Way way way way back in time and focus on Jedi Knights hundreds of years before the Empire. You could include Yoda in this, I guess though I don't need to see Yoda in a light-saver duel ever again.

2. Figure out a way to create an entirely new cast of characters in this universe. But I don't get how you do this. Star Trek has the advantage of Star Fleet. Presumably there are dozens of ships like the Enterprise doing Star Trek (meaning boring) stuff over hundreds of years. By having that clothesline, they were able to create a show that was better than the original (I guess....I don't like Star Trek. I mean, Harry Potter could conceivably just be a series about Hogwarts. You can have new kids come to Hogwarts and do Hogwarts things forever if you wanted to do so. You can't have a brand-new rebellion every five years - even though that's exactly what they did in the new series.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The movie just feels so unnecessary.  Rogue One at least felt like part of the on-going saga despite it being a "stand alone" movie.

I suppose the prequels have already done the damage, but I hate that it seems with Disney's acquiring of the franchise, it seems like they are going to turn it into just another thing that is over exposed and watered down.

The thing is Rogue One was not a stand alone movie, it ran directly and brilliantly into Episode IV

• Like 1

Well looks like we are going to get even MORE Star Wars movies (separate from the announced Rian Johnson Trilogy):

http://www.theforce.net/v3-story/frontAnother_Series_Of_Star_Wars_Films_Announced_178511.asp

I mean one of these movies has got to be good, right? 

Right now the franchise is really in crisis. I get the impression that millenials HATE Star Wars.I 'm a Gen-Xer who saw ANH in the theatres in 1977 at the age of 6 years old, so I have a soft spot for the franchise. But my generation doesn't matter, its the millenials who watch the most movies (without family commitments they have the most time on their hands). That's going to be the trick for Disney, how to get the millenial generation excited about Star Wars again. 

Just another thing that popped into my head...this mean we are going to be seeing a lot more of Kit Harrington, Lena Heady, Sophie Turner, and the rest of the Game of Thrones cast, only this time in the Star Wars universe, because its pretty much a thing that directors cast actors they are familiar with in future projects. So Kit, Emilia, Lena and all the rest must be doing cartwheels over this announcement. 

Edited by Mournblade

5 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I liked Rogue One.

Here's the fundamental problem with the Star Wars universe: It's really really really tiny. Frankly, if it weren't for the great costume designers and the good people of Kenner, Star Wars would literally be a story about two kids, their dad, their best friend, and their dad's boss.

I know there are nerds who love the extended universe books, but the little time I spent with those it seemed like the stories were about various and sundry Skywalkers fighting either each other or clones or ghosts of the bad guys from the original Holy Trinity.

There just aren't any stories I actually want told at this point. I don't need a story about Han's early years (though I'll go to the theater for this because of course I will). I don't want the Adventures of Boba Fett. I could possibly be interested in a middle-aged Obi Wan story if Ewan MacGregor was involved.

But the problem with all these stories is you know that Han and Chebacca and Lando and Obi-wan and whoever have to survive until they cross paths with Luke.

Here's an idea: Luke and Biggs in a Hardy Boys mystery. Make the stakes shockingly low.

Aside from that, there are only really two directions to go:

1.  Way way way way back in time and focus on Jedi Knights hundreds of years before the Empire. You could include Yoda in this, I guess though I don't need to see Yoda in a light-saver duel ever again.

2. Figure out a way to create an entirely new cast of characters in this universe. But I don't get how you do this. Star Trek has the advantage of Star Fleet. Presumably there are dozens of ships like the Enterprise doing Star Trek (meaning boring) stuff over hundreds of years. By having that clothesline, they were able to create a show that was better than the original (I guess....I don't like Star Trek. I mean, Harry Potter could conceivably just be a series about Hogwarts. You can have new kids come to Hogwarts and do Hogwarts things forever if you wanted to do so. You can't have a brand-new rebellion every five years - even though that's exactly what they did in the new series.

The Old Republic era, where the Knights of the Old Republic games are based off, have some fantastic lore. I've always felt like a Netflix series based on Knights of the Old Republic would be terrific.

• Like 1