Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That’s the point of TLJ particularly the Luke stuff. They had lost and were defeated. It was over, just a matter of moments. 

Until Luke returned and sparked the rebellion thru this new legend. Hence, the final scene with the boy. The rebellion is inspired again including a new generation across the galaxy. They have hope again because of Luke

Fair enough, but I think there's a happy medium where the situation is dire enough that Luke is needed to turn the tide, but not so overwhelming that the idea of a successful resistance seems ludicrous.  They overshot that mark in my opinion.

• Like 1

I enjoyed "Solo".  It was entertaining and plenty of action, you'd expect from a film in the  SWU.    Alden Ehrenreich is no Harrison Ford but he did an alright job as Solo.  Those acting lessons worked.  Donald Glover was great as Londo.  For me, the story drove the movie.

Loved the surprise appearance by

Spoiler

Darth Maul

. Actually, I now hope Solo does well enough for there to be a sequel.  There's more to Solo's story to tell, before we get to Star Wars: A New Hope.

I'll give Solo an A.  I may even see it again.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

It was ok. I had no interest in a Han Solo prequel and stated it was a bad idea right from the start. So I will say I was pleasantly surprised because it wasn’t a disaster and was actually pretty entertaining. 

Donald Glover steals the movie. He was a perfect Lando right from the opening shot and words out of his mouth. 

The guy that played Han. He was fine. 

Spoiler

I thought the Darth Maul scene was completely stupid. it serves no purpose other than to provide an oh **** moment. Shock factor only and it made no sense to me. My reaction was “really?”

also, if this is supposed to be after TPM with Maul surviving like in Rebels that’s stupid too. Nobody needs to see that ridiculous idea in a movie. Him surviving after being cut in half and falling down an endless shaft should be the end of him. It’s bad enough they put it in the cartoons now it’s going to pop up in prequel movies now. Ugh. What garbage. Sure he will find  way into the inevitable Kenobi prequel too

id guarantee most people that see this aren’t going to know why he is alive. We shouldn’t have to watch 50+ cartoon episodes to not go WTF when watching live action movies. Easer eggs and nods etc are one thing but this was ridiculous 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Saw it opening night.

Spoiler

First thing I have to say is thank the maker for Ron Howard. Early on, the scene where Han is signing up for the Empire, there's a Imperial Navy recruitment poster/hologram vid playing in the background with the Imperial March Theme as it's soundtrack under neath the voice over for it. I didn't take it as an Easter Egg/fan nod but rather something the original idjits did & it got left in. It was funny when I caught it but I could have done without it. 

Han vs Beckett at the end was the original Han vs Greedo. #HanShotFirst :)

Loved the Han/Lando reverse Cloud City welcome towards the end.

L33T makes it 1 down, 2 more to go if they keep that bit from the Legends novels. - The Falcon's navi computer was tied to 3 different droid brains which made it somewhat unpredictable at times.

I didn't mind Maul showing since I've watched Rebels. Besides, everyone was expecting Vader anyways. :ols: I'm expecting Maul to tie into the new animated show coming from the same guy that did Rebels. Maul, like Anakin at the end of Revenge of the Sith, used his hate of Obi Won to stay alive until he could be rescued. 

Anyways, I need to see this again as I went into it being really skeptical of it after TLJ **** the bed.  

51 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Anakin used his hate to stay alive? He was saved before death by Palpatine. That’s all anyone needs to know about why he survived. They just go out of their way to make this stuff ridiculous 

Yes.

Anakin's HATE (tapping into the dark side of the force) is what kept him alive long enough for Palpatine to rescue him.

The average force user would have died from those injuries.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Anakin used his hate to stay alive? He was saved before death by Palpatine. That’s all anyone needs to know about why he survived. They just go out of their way to make this stuff ridiculous 

Im going to use my immense hate of Maul living and now popping up in live action movies to keep it from happening 

Maul is such a badass that I'm going to allow it.  This franchise keeps making "that doesn't make sense" mistakes (like Leia using the force in space) that at least they did something stupid to save a character they shouldn't of killed off to begin with.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maul is such a badass that I'm going to allow it.  This franchise keeps making "that doesn't make sense" mistakes (like Leia using the force in space) that at least they did something stupid to save a character they shouldn't of killed off to begin with.

Leia's Marry Poppins scene was actually first done by Kanan on Rebels. So it was at least established though it was & still is part of the problem with TLJ.

Also, Obi Won is such as badass that he kills Sith Lords & they're so pissed off about it they refuse to die. :)

And continue to live only to keep getting their ass handed to them until they finally die for good and no hate or robot spider legs can bring them back 

i hate everything 

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

You can only explain so much in a movie..and to be fair, I also read the novel (which I highly recommend).

The revenge of the sith novel? 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I also read the novel (which I highly recommend).

I remember when TFA came out & @codeorama & I were discussing the novelizations of the films & everyone else here acted like they'd never heard of such a thing. :ols:

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

i hate everything 

Nice try but your midichlorian count is to low. :silly:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TK said:

Leia's Marry Poppins scene was actually first done by Kanan on Rebels. So it was at least established though it was & still is part of the problem with TLJ.

Also, Obi Won is such as badass that he kills Sith Lords & they're so pissed off about it they refuse to die. :)

Yes, I've accepted I can only get so upset when I suspend my disbelief to enjoy something and then something hard to believe happens : )

i've never watched Rebel's (I've heard ya'll speak well of it, guess that a good sign)  but I always find it interesting when it comes across like it in some way counts as cannon.  Is Rebel's on the same level as the books and the books being setup to be or help explain current or future live action movies, or am I just not getting this?

I'm down with an Obi Won movie, but if there's anything l like about TLJ is it sets up for a universe beyond the characters we see all the time (maybe more from the books?).

Edited by Renegade7

Just saw Solo in a mostly empty theater, lol.  It was okay.  Didn’t hate it or love it.  Had some good tie ins with the OT.  The whole is it Hon or Han thing with Lando was funny.  The part with how Han got the name Solo didn’t sit well.  Han hated the Empire so why would he keep a name they gave him? Why couldn’t it just be his family name. Not sure how I feel about the big cameo at the end.  I’ve seen some of the Clone Wars animated series but I don’t watch Rebels or read the books.  A lot of the movie fans don’t.  I think Disney/Lucas Film is making a mistake asking their viewers to take in all 3. The hardcore SW fans will keep coming but the broader base will start walking away.  They need to learn from Marvel.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yes, I've accepted I can only get so upset when I suspend my disbelief to enjoy something and then something hard to believe happens : )

i've never watched Rebel's (I've heard ya'll speak well of it, guess that a good sign)  but I always find it interesting when it comes across like it in some way counts as cannon.  Is Rebel's on the same level as the books and the books being setup to be or help explain current or future live action movies, or am I just not getting this?

I'm down with an Obi Won movie, but if there's anything l like about TLJ is it sets up for a universe beyond the characters we see all the time (maybe more from the books?).

Rebels is canon.  Essentially, most of the books before the Disney buy out are not.

The operating function of the Star Wars universe is currently if the Force wants it to happen, it can happen.  The Force is something that is in control.  Not something controlled, which sort of turns the concepts in the OT and early books on their head.  I suspect big picture, it is going to make bad story telling in that character motivations become meaningless and things that seem "outrageous" will happen (e.g. incredible things will happen to people that do not appear to be incredible force users.)

1 hour ago, drowland said:

Had some good tie ins with the OT. 

There was a Prequel tie in when Lando named dropped Auroa Sing to Beckett. There was a Bosk name drop as well. :) 

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Rebels is canon.  Essentially, most of the books before the Disney buy out are not.

Wait, the cartoon's have more credence to the franchise then the books do now?  A cartoon?

Image result for mind exploding

I get your concern, and I agree with you.  That feels so assbackwards for cartoons to matter more then books, but I mean, whatever, not my call, just sounds really really weird.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Wait, the cartoon's have more credence to the franchise then the books do now?  A cartoon?

I get your concern, and I agree with you.  That feels so assbackwards for cartoons to matter more then books, but I mean, whatever, not my call, just sounds really really weird.

The old books pretty much cover from the time the Emperor dies going forward into the future decades.

They really can't start making movies from right after the death of the Emperor because the people playing the characters were too old (though, given what they've done with Solo, I guess, they could have recast them) and jumping ahead decades would have been hard because a bunch of stuff happens that the casual movie audience would have never understood.

So if they wanted to start making movies again based on the original characters, they had to do something, and the easiest thing to do was to simply say the stuff in the books wasn't real.