Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

Can somebody explain the Kessel run. I get that parsecs is a distance but was the “Kessel run” just the cloudy passageway leading into Kessel? They referred to it when referring to the job as if everybody was familiar with it. I also don’t understand how it’s measured distance wise when Han takes a shortcut and spends forever fighting some octopus thing in a Gravity suck before finally leaving. Then he makes a claim that he somehow did it in record time. It seems like that becoming legendary is a bit preposterous given than basically anybody could say their time was whatever they wanted it to be. It’s not regulated or controlled in any way. 

I wish something so significant to Hans backstory was explained better. I thought all the info and plot around the “Kessel run” was severely underwhelming 

• Like 1

Spoiler warning: Obi Wan kills Darth Maul for real in the cartoon. An old ass Obi Wan who like two weeks later can barely move when he fights Vader kills an acrobatic 748th degree blackbelt sith in a duel copied straight from the opening scene of Ninja Gaiden.

He slices him in half... fifteen times. Then cuts his head off. Then sticks the decapitated head of Darth Tyrannus (which is also still alive) into a pillow case and uses that to smash Maul’s head until they’re both mush. Then he puts the body in a wood chipper, mails each individual piece to a different planet and blows up the whole solar system that they were in. He also goes back in time and murders Maul’s momma, then further back and kills both grandmothers... then all four great grandmothers... 17 generations deep this goes on for.

I’m just kidding. He cuts him in the stomach a little. There’s no coming back from something like that.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Maul being alive is stupid. He was sliced in half then fell 5000 feet down a ****ing reactor shaft. This is not debatable.

He was the popular character from TPM so they brought him back in Clone Wars and Rebels cartoon series.  Lucas admitted he wouldn’t have killed him if he had known fans would like him so much.  George thought everyone would love Jar Jar.  

Introducing him back into the movies opens the door for the Emporer and Snoke to still be alive, since it’s now established a Sith can survive being cut in half and falling in a reactor shaft. 

People need to ****ing die tho. It betrays the audience’s trust if somebody can be cut in half and fall down a bottomless pit to their death only to pop back up later. 

Why would we believe deaths are legit and final now? It cheapens them live since “well I know he got his head cut off but he was really mad when it happened so they can just forcemagic****ery this thing back together in the future” 

it worked with anakin simply because we never saw him die. He was dying. Him surviving for any reason beyond: “he’s a supremely powerful being and had not died before palpatine got there” just complicates things moving forward 

I agree they need to die, which is why introducing Maul back into the movies mucks everything up.  Now if Snoke and the Emporer don’t come back people are going to say why not since they’re supposed to be more powerful then Maul was and they died in the same manor.  

• Like 2

I mean the only explanation I guess would be the Emporer and Snoke were killed by their apprentices which plays into the rule of two mythology.  Maul was killed by a Jedi.  But still the whole he survived because his force hatred for Obi-wan kept him alive is weak. They made that up as an excuse to keep an unexpectedly popular character with the fans alive and introduced in the animated series.  They should keep him there.

It’s like Marvel and Agent Coulson.  They killed him in the movies and then brought him back on TV.  But they’ve stayed clear of bringing him back in the movies.  I don’t think they’ve even mentioned he’s still alive.  

Edited by drowland
  • Like 1

Saw Solo tonight and liked it.  Thought the actors for Han and Lando were great

I wish that they would develop stories a little more in these new movies.  Feel like it is just one action scene after another.  While i enjoyed the movie, feel it could be better.

My point is...recent movies have taken story lines from the original trilogy and taken a deeper dive.  Thats because the original movies were stories first, action movies second.  So ask yourself, what is a storyline from any of the new movies that could eventually ge a spinoff?  There arent any.  Theyve forgotten how to develop characters and tell stories.  Its just a montage of action sequences.  Of course thats most movies nowadays, targeting generation ADHD... :P

23 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Can somebody explain the Kessel run. I get that parsecs is a distance but was the “Kessel run” just the cloudy passageway leading into Kessel? They referred to it when referring to the job as if everybody was familiar with it. I also don’t understand how it’s measured distance wise when Han takes a shortcut and spends forever fighting some octopus thing in a Gravity suck before finally leaving. Then he makes a claim that he somehow did it in record time. It seems like that becoming legendary is a bit preposterous given than basically anybody could say their time was whatever they wanted it to be. It’s not regulated or controlled in any way. 

I wish something so significant to Hans backstory was explained better. I thought all the info and plot around the “Kessel run” was severely underwhelming 

Not sure i follow you.  The kessell run is the kessell run, whether you take a shortcut or not.  Hee did it in 12 parsecs, a record.  Sure he took a shortcut but was possible because of the falcons nav comp..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zoony said:

Not sure i follow you.  The kessell run is the kessell run, whether you take a shortcut or not.  Hee did it in 12 parsecs, a record.  Sure he took a shortcut but was possible because of the falcons nav comp..

What is it? Just the entrance and exit to the planet Kessell? I feel like if so, they should have noted on the way in that they actually were doing the “Kessell run” then as well and that coming out they’d need to find a way to do it in a shorter distance. 

I still don’t see why something so random and insignificant would be considered a legendary tale 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

42 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What is it? Just the entrance and exit to the planet Kessell? I feel like if so, they should have noted on the way in that they actually were doing the “Kessell run” then as well and that coming out they’d need to find a way to do it in a shorter distance. 

I still don’t see why something so random and insignificant would be considered a legendary tale 

The run was the tunnel in... 

We've only been talking about Maul being alive for a few years now in these threads....sigh.

Not sure why people have a hard time of it. It's not like his arms and legs were cut off on a lava planet. Oh wait..that's ok. Cause it's Darth Vader. My bad.

Here's a secret. They are sith. They have mastered the dark side of the force. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Sad the movie tanked but I really enjoyed it

Disney's greed killed it.  They released it too close to Infinity War and Deadpool 2. Released it 6 months after TLJ, which many hated.  Finally, all the negative pre-release stories; didn't help.

I think most people have liked the movie, so maybe word of mouth gives it a second chance.  Next 2 weeks, nothing really that good coming out.

7 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

We've only been talking about Maul being alive for a few years now in these threads....sigh.

Not sure why people have a hard time of it. It's not like his arms and legs were cut off on a lava planet. Oh wait..that's ok. Cause it's Darth Vader. My bad.

I think surviving severe burns is more believable than surviving being bisected. I also was under the impression that keeping people from dying was a rare power and that the only guy who could do it could keep others from dying but not himself. It’s also stupid.

I saw Solo last night and thought it was much better than I expected. All the actors were likable and did a pretty nice job, especially with the iconic characters we know so well.

Maybe I missed something, but I hated the Equal Opportunity sidekick droid. I'm sure that her becoming the nav system is some Star Wars lore that I never knew, but she annoyed the crap out of me. 

10 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Its much more believable because we are repeatedly told that Anakin is insanely powerful and we see Palpatine get there almost immediately to save him. 

Maul is cut in half and falls into a bottomless pit. There is no reason or logic behind why he should be alive and no setup into why we would ever believe he didn’t die right there 

they bring him back for the sole reason to help out a couple cartoon shows where he promptly gets killed again by Obi Wan. And now I’m sure we are going to have to see a bunch of cameos or movies by him showing the boring stuff he was doing between getting killed twice by Obi Wan 

10 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Plus the fan speculation that Kira (Qi'ra) is somehow Rey's mom is fun to read. Until you realize she would have been mid 40s when Rey was born. 

You’ve got no issue with a dude being sliced in half and falling down a bottomless pit coming back to life but a 45 year old having a baby is an untenable plot hole?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You’ve got no issue with a dude being sliced in half and falling down a bottomless pit coming back to life but a 45 year old having a baby is an untenable plot hole?

I laughed. You got me! But we could all take that message and apply it to various parts of Star Wars. ?

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

I just think you have to be able to trust what you see on screen. Misdirections and surprises are fine but Maul coming back undermines the ATOTC and ROTS movies, I don’t care what he was doing during the cartoons during this time. Becoming a mobster at some point. Cool. 

Im looking forward to Han coming back in episode 11

Who is to say the pit was bottomless ? 

To me what happened with Maul was that Disney had no idea that character would be as popular as it became. 

Now they are just being greedy and are probably going to... in some future movie, show how he survived. 

40+ year old women easily had babies in another galaxy...a long time ago. Just not here on earth.  Padame was an anomally at her age.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Who is to say the pit was bottomless ? 

To me what happened with Maul was that Disney had no idea that character would be as popular as it became. 

Now they are just being greedy and are probably going to... in some future movie, show how he survived. 

40+ year old women easily had babies in another galaxy...a long time ago. Just not here on earth.  Padame was an anomally at her age.

Ok it had a bottom. And he should have been smeared all across it when he landed 

Greed and poor planning is not a good excuse it justification for bringing him back. We know they’re stupid. They couldn’t figure out people would like him and thought they’d love Jar Jar. Now they’re just doubling down by making another poor decision to try to retcon a poor decision they made 20 years ago 

12 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Btw..I enjoyed Solo today much more than expected.

Plus the fan speculation that Kira (Qi'ra) is somehow Rey's mom is fun to read. Until you realize she would have been mid 40s when Rey was born. 

I don't want Rey and Kylo to be related.  And like has been touched on, women are having babies later and it becoming less of an anomaly.  I can't if they've touched on increased life expectancy in this distant future, but you have to figure they figured out how to make babies in a women's 40s plausible if they have light speed travel down pat.