Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Wars Thread

Riggo#44

8 minutes ago, TK said:

I think someone at Disney musta pitched it as Cap'n Jack Sparrow....but in SPACE!  And I can see the cash cow doing at least 2 more Solo flicks whether they're any good or not.

Oh, back when Disney bought the franchise, and they were looking for ways to monetize the thing, my suggestion was:  

After Star Wars (but before any other movies), Lucas was looking for spinoff money.  And he allowed an author to write three Star Wars books, based around what I call "Han Solo, Space Bum".  Han and Chewie, before Star Wars.  

(One line I really liked was when this book's girl asks "Do you always shoot first and ask questions later?"  Solo:  "I prefer shooting first.  As opposed to shooting second.")  

And I believed (and still believe) that you could create a really great Star Wars series build around Han and Chewie and the Falcon, just flying around the galaxy, stealing things.  (And, maybe, once a year or so, doing a Good Deed.  If it pays well.)  

No Force, no Jedi, nobody who we've seen later.  (Yeah, I might miss not having Darth Vader.  But I could also see having him not appear till Star Wars.)  Just a couple of small time crooks trying to keep up with the maintenance costs on the Falcon.  

15 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Finally saw The Last Jedi... I avoided all discussion because I didn't want to be spoiled. The consensus was that it kinda sucked, am I right?

Rey and Ren's relationship saved the movie, they jumped the shark otherwise.

7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Finally saw The Last Jedi... I avoided all discussion because I didn't want to be spoiled. The consensus was that it kinda sucked, am I right?

Huge disappointment. Part of it was some of the story decisions for me, plus there were so many plot holes. I thought the writing was pretty poor.

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Critically it's loved. Fan boys were pretty pissed about Luke's arc in the movie and pretty much everything else. Childhoods across the world were ruined. 

I still loved it, despite it's flaws (and there are some big ones). Rey and Kylo are the two most interesting and well written characters the series has produced

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Larry said:

No Force, no Jedi, nobody who we've seen later.  (Yeah, I might miss not having Darth Vader.  But I could also see having him not appear till Star Wars.)  Just a couple of small time crooks trying to keep up with the maintenance costs on the Falcon.  

• Haha 1

Since Rebels ended.....more at link.

i8ksdgelp7kbxwhehbz7.png

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-resistance-is-the-next-lucasfilm-animated-ser-1825546331

After Star Wars Rebels came to an end earlier this year, we knew the next chapter of Star Wars animation was close, and now we know exactly what it is. And it’s extremely exciting. The new chapter in Lucasfilm’s world is leaving behind the age of the Rebellion to tell a new saga set in the run-up to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Announced by Lucasfilm today, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebels producer Dave Filoni’s next project will be Star Wars Resistance.

Set in what is described by the company as an “uncharted time frame prior to The Force Awakens,” the “anime-inspired” Resistance will follow a young pilot named Kazuda Xiono, recruited by General Leia Organa’s burgeoning Resistance for a top-secret surveillance mission to survey the growing power of the First Order. The series will focus on Kazuda and a cast of ace pilots, but will also feature familiar faces from the sequel trilogy in the form of BB-8, Poe Dameron, and Captain Phasma, with both Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie reprising their respective roles for the series.

According to Filoni—who will executive produce the series alongside Rebelsveterans Athena Portillo and Justin Ridge, as well as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Brandon Auman—the series will focus on the high-flying, high-speed adventures of the galaxy far, far away’s daring pilots:

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Most of the early review I’ve seen have been extremely positive. 

But I thought the TLJ was awesome so...

Script is by Lawrence Kasdan, and people who've seen it say it was great. I'm going to give the movie a shot. I just hope its better than that Thor: Ragnarok crap (that everyone on THIS forum raved about).

We just watched TLJ last night with the kids.  Over the past few weeks we've watched the OT and 7 and 8 with them on Friday nights.  The wife and kids loved TLJ.

I thought it was so-so.  I don't regret watching it, and the action scenes are good, as they have been with all the new movies, but that's about the best they have going for them.

I recognize that even in ANH the idea of a ragtag band of rebels destroying the Death Star pushed the limits of what was reasonable to believe, but they never took it anywhere near as far as they did in TFA and TLJ.  A planet (Starkiller Base) that eats up suns and uses that energy to destroy multiple star systems at once from across the galaxy?  That's just a bit much, and there's no reasonable way to believe that a resistance movement that's down to a couple cruisers' worth of troops has any way of resisting an entity with that level of resources.

Don't get me started on Poe single-handedly destroying all the laser batteries on a single ship without the First Order already having launched TIEs.  Or these weird WW2-era bombers that require a crew member to push a button on a remote control?  Come on...

TLJ also just dragged on.  It didn't need to be as long as it was.  At least 30 minutes could have been cut out of the middle of the movie here and there.  As some others have pointed out the writing was also pretty cheesy in places, but if we're honest with ourselves that's been true about Star Wars from the beginning.

On the other hand, I thought Luke's character development was decent.  The scenes between Rey and Ren were good.  The action scenes were fun to watch.

• Like 1

I've got a feeling that Solo is going to try to do too much. 

Introducing Solo, I'm good with. But trying to cover Solo, Londo, the Falcon, and Chewie, all?  Assume we're going to intro Jabba, and The Kessel Run, too?  Maybe even "sometimes even I get boarded"?  

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

That's just a bit much, and there's no reasonable way to believe that a resistance movement that's down to a couple cruisers' worth of troops has any way of resisting an entity with that level of resources.

That’s the point of TLJ particularly the Luke stuff. They had lost and were defeated. It was over, just a matter of moments. 

Until Luke returned and sparked the rebellion thru this new legend. Hence, the final scene with the boy. The rebellion is inspired again including a new generation across the galaxy. They have hope again because of Luke

39 minutes ago, Larry said:

I've got a feeling that Solo is going to try to do too much. 

Introducing Solo, I'm good with. But trying to cover Solo, Londo, the Falcon, and Chewie, all?  Assume we're going to intro Jabba, and The Kessel Run, too?  Maybe even "sometimes even I get boarded"?  

Pretty sure the plot is based around the kessel run. Which was predicted by most when this was announced 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1