1) ESB

2) ROTJ

3) TFA

4) ANH

5) RO
6) ROTS

7) AOTC

8) TPM

I would call myself a "prequelist", though not because the movies are good. I think ROTS is the best of the lot and pretty good, but TPM is hard to get through. But even though a lot of the prequel movies arent well done, mostly TPM, there are so many great stories and background that we get from the prequels. George Lucas not doing a good job with the movies doesnt negate for me the great history and background we can get from them.

I am a believer in the theory that Jar Jar was the Phantom Menace and Lucas chickened out after the massive backlash. Even if that wasnt the plan, it should have been because its brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I am a believer in the theory that Jar Jar was the Phantom Menace and Lucas chickened out after the massive backlash. Even if that wasnt the plan, it should have been because its brilliant.

Good list, not much different from mine. TPM has it's moments but yeah, it gets bogged down with some head scratching stuff. I agree but the stories and world from the prequels making them worthwhile even if the exectuion wasn't up to par. 

Also, can you elaborate on this Jar Jar theory?

30 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

more spoilers than a Porsche 911 convention coming up.

:rofl89:

I am starting my own internet embargo until after I see it Thursday night. This is the only place I feel safe reading comments. I am not having this ruined for me like so many had happen with the Kylo/Han stuff. Then again, it felt really obvious even seeing TFA opening night that it was headed that way. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Good list, not much different from mine. TPM has it's moments but yeah, it gets bogged down with some head scratching stuff. I agree but the stories and world from the prequels making them worthwhile even if the exectuion wasn't up to par. 

Also, can you elaborate on this Jar Jar theory?

:rofl89:

I am starting my own internet embargo until after I see it Thursday night. This is the only place I feel safe reading comments. I am not having this ruined for me like so many had happen with the Kylo/Han stuff. Then again, it felt really obvious even seeing TFA opening night that it was headed that way. Oh well. 

Here is the Reddit post. It was written before the Force Awakens so some stuff is obviously off. But either way, even if it was never the case, its brilliant. Read the whole thing and watch the example clips. I think it would have been awesome if they had gone that way, even if it was never actually the plan. At the very least its fun to think about.

In addition to the below, the actor who played Jar Jar has hinted many times that George Lucas changed the arc of the character a lot after the backlash from fans after TPM. George Lucas was quoted before as saying everything revolved around Jar Jar. In one of the new canon books they have established what happened to Jar Jar so its certainly never going to actually happen as this guy lays out.

• Like 3

Also, after this theory was first posted the actor who played Jar Jar tweeted this:

I will say this, it feels really good when the hidden meaning behind the work is seen. No matter how long it takes. #TPM

He also said this in an interview:

"What I can say about it is – and I kinda said this on Twitter –there's a lot about it that's true," Best hinted. "There are some things that are not true. Could Jar Jar have evolved into that? I think the answer is yes. Because of the backlash, and rightfully so, Lucasfilm backed off from Jar Jar a lot. But a lot of the influence I put into the character mirrored a lot of what was already in the Star Wars universe."

Edited by MisterPinstripe

Hot damn. That would have been kinda awesome. I always felt that a big flaw of the prequels was that it had no overarching villain. I guess Palpatine was but it was sort of a loose thread. Maul, Dooku, Grievous etc they needed to have somebody that was central threat in each movie as collaborator/partner with Palpatine. It kinda cheapened each that they were introduced and killed so quickly in their movies. 

There was a way to do that with Jar Jar as outlined above but they didn't have to make him go quite so "full stupid" and make him talk the way he does etc which killed it. He could have still been a doofus that was revealed to be all those things if he wasn't such an offensive, mindbogglingly annoying, insulting to our own intelligence of a character. Tone him down to 25% of what he was and it could have worked.  

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Do any of you guys frequent Super Hero Hype Boards? That board is the most anti-Star Wars board on the web. Bunch of nerds who salivate

over everything Marvel (you should have see the brown nosing going on for Thor Ragnarok), and then anything Star Wars they immediately 

put down. The positive reactions to the Last Jedi must be driving them nuts! 

We need a put down final predictions.

Mine:

(using spoiler tags just in case they are right)

Spoiler

Rey is not Obi wan or Luke's child. She is born of the force either thru experimentation by Palpatine or Snoke or naturally.  

Snoke Kills Luke. Snoke is revealed to be the first Dark side user of the force, still alive thousands of years waiting for the right opportunity to return and claim power. Luke likely knows this from his understanding and reading of Jedi/Sith history. 

Kylo kills Snoke to assume all dark side power

We are left with an inevitable rematch between Kylo and Rey, for the final chapter of the movie. No greater baddies, no allegiance turns or twists. Just good vs evil. We know the stakes. They know they will have to fight again, life or death, winner take all in episode 9. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

21 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Again, I think most will have a let down. 

Hide contents

PREDICTION: Luke probably dies...but who kills him ? 

Nah...

Spoiler

I think Leia dies this one and Luke will perish in the final movie. Then the circle will be complete.

I'm suggesting right now that the mods make 2 threads for this: a spoiler-free thread and a thread that allows spoilers.

I am going to see the movie tommorow night at 7:30 EST, which will be the first showing on the East Coast. Afterwards,

you bet I'm going to want to talk and gush about it. But that just isn't fair to people who have to wait until Friday or the

weekend. So I'm just suggesting making two threads might be an idea. 

(If it doesn't happen, don't worry, I won't come here to blab :) Not until Monday, at least.) 

3 minutes ago, Mournblade said:

I'm suggesting right now that the mods make 2 threads for this: a spoiler-free thread and a thread that allows spoilers.

I am going to see the movie tommorow night at 7:30 EST, which will be the first showing on the East Coast. Afterwards,

you bet I'm going to want to talk and gush about it. But that just isn't fair to people who have to wait until Friday or the

weekend. So I'm just suggesting making two threads might be an idea. 

(If it doesn't happen, don't worry, I won't come here to blab :) Not until Monday, at least.) 

Start a thread for spoilers.