Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

My wife is supposed to land at DCA Sunday night at 8. I figure it's 50/50. Worse case she will be stuck in Orlando another day or two. Then we are both supposed to fly out to NH Wednesday night. This snow is screwing me big time.

Anyone see the traffic map around DC with a half inch of snow from this evening? Cars were abandoned in ditches.  How will you guys survive 30 inches?

VDOT also put out an apology as they only deployed 300 trucks and did not pretreat any roads. Said it ended up being worse than the forecast. They said they will have 4000 trucks on the road Friday for the big storm. We'll see.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.052557,-77.0111399,11z/data=!5m1!1e1

Traffic map.  Massive reports of accidents and people running out of gas sitting in tie-ups as per 103.5 FM WTOP.   Even one of the reporters coming in to work got in a fender bender on the way.

This accumulation is like an inch or two but the gov's failed this round of pre-season snow emergency camp.   

velocet

my wife is a nurse

current emergency plan if she gets called in because her fellow nurses don't show up for their shift (so  irritating people do that):

drop the 7 month old off at the neighbors and drive her in.

drop him off later to pick her up, probably 36 hours later. which will suck for all involved.

because i cannot risk getting stuck in the snow with a 7 month old.

in short: if you're someone who takes a critical job where you're told you have to show up even when it snows, and you don't show up, you suck and i hate you. like a  lot. i hate you a lot. i wish bad things upon you.

the rest of us, who take the obligation seriously, have to deal with all kinds of hell because you're a chicken **** or refuse to make appropriate accommodations ahead of a well foreseen storm.

The Winter Weather Advisory went into place this morning and we were warned we can see an inch or so during the evening rush. It's exactly what happened. There are NO excuses for the roads not being pretreated. None whatsoever.

if the VDOT office is like the offices I've worked in, everyone probably sat around all day talking about the snow and friday and missed that it was supposed to snow today.

;)

I have snow tires so i was mostly ok but it was really slick tonight. Something about the composition of the snow with the cold roads and zero treatment. This coming from someone who drove throughout every storm 09/10 and who loves snow driving. I'd prefer 10 inches on the road to what was out there tonight, not fun to drive in.

Girlfriend and I both called off from work. Four day snow day it is.

I can't believe FCPS is opening two hours late after this ****. I'm hearing it's just as bad in Fairfax as its in DC

It was awful. Well, it wasn't that awful but when you mix traffic in then it's a nightmare. You can't stop while you're driving. That's how you get stuck. If you're going up a hill, go up that hill. Don't get halfway up and stop because you're scared.

If there were no other drivers on the road, I would've had no problems at all.

It was awful. Well, it wasn't that awful but when you mix traffic in then it's a nightmare. You can't stop while you're driving. That's how you get stuck. If you're going up a hill, go up that hill. Don't get halfway up and stop because you're scared.

If there were no other drivers on the road, I would've had no problems at all.

I had a meeting in Springfield today.  What a CF.  I left by 2:45 and still hit hella traffic.

TWC app just decreased their snowfall totals for southern MD/Pax River by 60%...now 1" friday, 3-5 friday night, and about 3" through saturday night. Say what you want about TWC, but their forecasts are the closest for some reason for southern MD, or at least California on down.

I am so boned. Good friend adding an addition on a house, walls up, no roof yet, tarped and sheeted in plastic to shed rain went out of town for a Florida vacation left me a key to keep an eye on things. No way in hell it survives major wet snowfall, gonna be a huge mess.

Oh well, I'm off to see what blew under the hood last night, possibly doing a water pump in sub-freezing temps. Yay!

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/virginia/2016/01/20/100-accidents-reported-va-snow-creates-traffic-nightmare/79091316/

Snow causes 150+ accidents, traffic nightmare in DC area

WUSA 9 Staff, WUSA

7 hours ago

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

more

About an inch of snow Wednesday night caused nightmare traffic conditions across the D.C. area, leaving countless drivers stuck behind the wheel for hours.

I am so boned. Good friend adding an addition on a house, walls up, no roof yet, tarped and sheeted in plastic to shed rain went out of town for a Florida vacation left me a key to keep an eye on things. No way in hell it survives major wet snowfall, gonna be a huge mess.

Oh well, I'm off to see what blew under the hood last night, possibly doing a water pump in sub-freezing temps. Yay!

don't you live in the northeast?

that's a hell of a gamble by your neighbor.  that's a nice way of putting it.

This level of snow is something unseen in this area for nearly 100 years. The latest GFS puts the bullseye right over DC with 30" of snow

Don't know about 100 years.

Was in Howard Co. at in-laws in 2003 when we got 33" in their backyard over the weekend. Guy across the street had a party planned, and next door neighbor, with a snow blower, plowed paths to his house, and to all the homes on the cul-de-sac. Sat with Bob, God rest his soul, drinking and just watching the snow accumulate on his porch, like an inch an hour.

Still have a photo of my then 7 year old standing on the plowed snow mound on the corner, leaning with her elbow on the street sign.

Ahh, good times.

Oh, BTW, live in Charlotte now, where we're supposed to get a little ice, maybe an inch or less of snow. 48 degrees on Sunday.

Y'all have fun!

Seriously, be thinking about ya, I still have family up there.

Archived