Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

Right now timing seems to be the last major hurdle. Besides a few minor adjustments I don't think amounts will move much. Temps look to stay below freezing through the entire event. Now.....when will it start? When will it end?

Of course there will be adjustments but right now best guess is that this will start Friday afternoon. And the models now want to linger this into early Sunday. Friday night through the day Saturday definitely looks to be the height of the storm. But Friday when it starts, from what the models are showing, it looks like it'll start off pretty moderate. That can be a huge problem and I smell another snowaggedon in the making. Any early release or even regular release may see school buses, working folk, and snow plows fighting for the roads at the same time as the snow piles up maybe pretty quickly..... 

I was caught in Atlanta back in 2008 (I think it was can't remember I'm sure one of the weather needs know the date)

Anyways, the entire city was coated in a sheet of black ice. I would take 40 inches of snow over that in a heartbeat.

Not to vent, but it gets old when everyone up north rips on the south for their snow tolerance. What is never mentioned is that it is always hovering around freezing in the south which makes for extremely hazardous driving conditions

I've driven through Cleveland with epic snowfall at 60 mph getting passed by cars going 70. It's not a big deal when the temperatures are cold

Washingtonians playing the role of seasoned norsemen...  

robert-e-peary-team-6931.jpg

arrrr matey... pass the yak-fat popsicle, mate

Right now timing seems to be the last major hurdle. Besides a few minor adjustments I don't think amounts will move much. Temps look to stay below freezing through the entire event. Now.....when will it start? When will it end?

Of course there will be adjustments but right now best guess is that this will start Friday afternoon. And the models now want to linger this into early Sunday. Friday night through the day Saturday definitely looks to be the height of the storm. But Friday when it starts, from what the models are showing, it looks like it'll start off pretty moderate. That can be a huge problem and I smell another snowaggedon in the making. Any early release or even regular release may see school buses, working folk, and snow plows fighting for the roads at the same time as the snow piles up maybe pretty quickly..... 

Another thing to take into account is what kind of snow it is.

Will it be a dry, powdery snow?

Or will it be a heavy, wet snow? The kind that snaps tree branches and weighs down power lines.

Temps hovering around the low 30s through most of the event on Friday indicates something closer to the latter.

Roads are a disaster tonight. Doesn't bode well for Friday. Just close the region down starting Thursday night lol

Yep. Slipped and slid home but I think this may end up being a good thing. This should really motivate the Powers That Be to just not open anything Friday.

It is absolute garbage outside. Snow melted on roads but turned into ice really quickly. All major roads in DC are covered in a sheet of ice.

It's probably not a good idea to drive into DC tomorrow. Enjoy the four day weekend. Can't believe they didn't salt the roads and sidewalks earlier today.

Archived