Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

LMAO And meanwhile, Georgia issues a Winter Storm Warning "State of Emergency" over 2.5in of wintery mix. Yeesh.

I was caught in Atlanta back in 2008 (I think it was can't remember I'm sure one of the weather needs know the date)

Anyways, the entire city was coated in a sheet of black ice. I would take 40 inches of snow over that in a heartbeat.

Not to vent, but it gets old when everyone up north rips on the south for their snow tolerance. What is never mentioned is that it is always hovering around freezing in the south which makes for extremely hazardous driving conditions

I've driven through Cleveland with epic snowfall at 60 mph getting passed by cars going 70. It's not a big deal when the temperatures are cold

So we're supposed to get a dusting to an inch this evening. And I think it will stay cold enough for that light blanket to hang around until the big stuff gets here Friday.

Now I wouldn't know an isobar from a Klondike bar, but wouldn't having that small layer of fallen snow help push up the totals from the next storm, in that the first wave of the big one has a cold layer to alight on?

I was caught in Atlanta back in 2008 (I think it was can't remember I'm sure one of the weather needs know the date)

Anyways, the entire city was coated in a sheet of black ice. I would take 40 inches of snow over that in a heartbeat.

Not to vent, but it gets old when everyone up north rips on the south for their snow tolerance. What is never mentioned is that it is always hovering around freezing in the south which makes for extremely hazardous driving conditions

I've driven through Cleveland with epic snowfall at 60 mph getting passed by cars going 70. It's not a big deal when the temperatures are cold

I know, I know. Ice and different infrastructure makes all the difference in the world. I guess it's just hard not to see somewhere freaking out over 2in of snow and feel like it's kinda silly when you have a couple feet headed your way. I feel for the folks who had issues during those storms for the normal reasons on top of the fact that seemingly everyone else called them pansies while it happened.

I don't want to downplay 1.5-2 feet of snow, but I'm glad the sanity has been restored. Some maps on Tuesday were showing up 50 inches. HA!

Not sure how that map spread but that was showing snow of the entire season, lol. The latest numbers that are coming in NOW are the higest the models have shown for this storm.

There's also the issue of preparedness. ...father north, the more prepared they must be and the bigger the budget for snow removal, etc. It's pretty much a sliding scale from North to south.

And **** black ice. That stuff is scary.

Oh, I was referring to the totals in post #55. 

Understood and sorry, I should have been more specific! I was referring to that map that was spreading across the internets yesterday showing the 50 inches. THAT particular map was showing a seasonal forecast but was being spread like those totals were for this storm.

NAM's big for D.C. though it always overdoes QPF so I think 18-24 is the best bet with heavy bands creating localized heavier amounts.

Have they specified when the heaviest is falling? Is it overnight Friday or during the day on Saturday. I like to stay out in front of the shoveling, but I certainly won't be waking up every 3 hours to do so. 

We've had one day of snow since I moved to Houston in 2009. It was a light dusting. But it hit at 3PM in the afternoon on a workday. It was the scariest driving experience of my life. The roads were slippery as hell and the nearest road salt was 300 miles north. It was worse than the time I was caught in a whiteout on I-68 in Maryland.

Archived