Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

We had 28 inches of snow in February of 2010 in a Friday-Sunday storm, and schools were closed all week. I think if DC gets the 30 inches they're expected to get, it will be the same thing again-schools and work places closed all week

I don't disagree. I just really want to put it down. Still possible it gets cleaned up a little quicker

I was in SoMD in '96, don't remember that much. The late '70's though we're real bad.

The '79 storm is ranked 3rd all time for DC

http://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter_storm-pr#TopDaySnowfall

Please note, the amounts listed for DC are at Reagan (except for 1899 and '22 I believe - which is what we're gunning for this storm :)) which is in some weird snowhole. The amounts for DC itself and of course the burbs are always much higher.

That forecast map is very conservative. I wouldn't compare a conservative projection 2 days out with actual from 1996. I've seen some talk of this rivaling the Knickerbocker 1922 storm for biggest ever.

That white spot over DC in the 12Z GFS is not 30" ... It's 30"+ ... Based on a 10-1" snow to rain calculation ... Lots of storms see some 12 and even 14 to 1 ratios depending on temps ... That 30"+ could be much higher. But that bullseye will shift 4-5 more times before Friday. The Thursday midnight runs will be very telling.

Also, Accuweather sucks

That forecast map is very conservative. I wouldn't compare a conservative projection 2 days out with actual from 1996. I've seen some talk of this rivaling the Knickerbocker 1922 storm for biggest ever.

That white spot over DC in the 12Z GFS is not 30" ... It's 30"+ ... Based on a 10-1" snow to rain calculation ... Lots of storms see some 12 and even 14 to 1 ratios depending on temps ... That 30"+ could be much higher. But that bullseye will shift 4-5 more times before Friday. The Thursday midnight runs will be very telling.

Also, Accuweather sucks

I doubt anyone sees 30 inches in the D.C. area. Maybe out west in the mountains. Can't take the QPF verbatim. 18-24 with locally higher right now is a good call for the D.C. area.

But I was more referring to 1996 as far as the entire East Coast is concerned. To put down that massive a swath of 20-30 inches in insane.

I just can't imagine this region getting anything approaching 40 inches of snow. I understand that it CAN happen, but I just can't wrap my head around it actually coming to fruition. 

What were the totals for the storms a couple years back? We never eclipsed 2 feet did we?

The back to back in 2010? Yes. Everyone (except National) did with the first storm. With the second, it varied but I don't recall anyone seeing less than a foot.

I just can't imagine this region getting anything approaching 40 inches of snow. I understand that it CAN happen, but I just can't wrap my head around it actually coming to fruition. 

What were the totals for the storms a couple years back? We never eclipsed 2 feet did we?

Most places did

The back to back in 2010? Yes. Everyone (except National) did with the first storm. With the second, it varied but I don't recall anyone seeing less than a foot.

Most places did

Got it, I think I got confused since it was two separate storms. I think I also blacked out for 18 hours after all the shoveling. I'm getting old. 

18-24 with locally higher right now is a good call for the D.C. area.

That's what I'm going with until the 0z runs tonight. It's being sampled, they've sent up weather balloons (a hurricane hunter is going in tomorrow,) we're getting good data now. If the models continue to show what they're showing...going to be hard to predict less than two feet...

Ok, so at what point will the predictions from the models and GFS and Oz and QMB and XYZ and what-the-****-ever else has been listed start to be taken as accurate by youse guys? lol...My mom lives in DC.

lol, we are getting to that point. This afternoon model runs were really important and same goes for tonight's. You will start to see first guess maps coming out tonight. As a general 18-24inches across the area is a good bet. There will be places that get higher than that. It has to do were that banding sets up. Models have some trouble predicting that.

Archived