Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

I think the light stuff (flurries) could start any time between 11 and 2 ... but once that picks up in speed, the roads will deteriorate rapidly. I'd keep an eye on the radar and just get out of work when the precip shield starts making its way through the Shenandoah and into the Culpepper area. 

I'm taking tomorrow off. Wouldn't be shocked if schools just cancel preemptively, since most did today already.

Yeah CT is only getting 1-3...sure hope CT gets a huge storm sometime this winter

Earlier models had my area on the fringe, now it's missing us completely. Pissed me off. Although last time we had weather like this we ended up getting 2 feet of snow on valentine's day

Wow that's crazy. The roads further west (Reston, sterling, Ashburn) were perfectly fine this morning.

I can't afford to take the day off tomorrow, so I'm just going to try and work late today and get in early tomorrow so I can leave early.

Weather.com says the snow won't start until 5 or, and that there is a 0% chance before that. Just going to have to keep an eye on it and play it by ear tomorrow.

damnit i screwed up.

i was worried about getting kerosene for my heater, and completely forgot i threw away the heater last year because it was 25 years old and just rusty and beaten up. then never went and got a new one. shocker, everyone's sold out.

at least i got my chimney cleaned during the fall. will have to do it the old fashioned way if we lose power.

kerosene heater is so much nicer though. you don't lose heat up your chimney and you can move it around the house as you need be. if we have to use the fireplace we'll have to sleep in the living room :(

I'm working from home today.  I got caught on 395S out of the city last night, it was miserable.  395 is 3 lanes.  a 2 car collision blocked one lane and the shoulder, but dumb****s for some reason EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE 2 CLEAR LANES, just stopped and refused to go around.  So i waited for like 20 minutes, then finally just weaved my way through.  Then I had the whole road to myself for awhile until i caught up the the rest of traffic.  Probably saw 25 vehicles wrecked or just pulled over for no apparent reason.  

Of course, for the last few miles of my trip i was on a one lane road, and even though i was going 15-20 on a 25mph back road that had not been plowed, the asshole behind me was tailgating me (on basically a sheet of ice).  Per my usual, i slowed down to 10.  Not for safety, just because **** her. 

AWD is GREAT on snow and ice.  I don't think I'd buy another car that doesn't have it. 

So is there even a point to being on those mean streets of DC tomorrow or should we all stay home

Might be up and about Friday morning and head on back around noon.

Only reason to be in DC tomorrow is the inevitable Dupont Circle snowball fight.  I fear I am getting too old for such shenanigans.

Nothing is good on ice. 4wd is finne in snow. I am looking forward to taking the tundra out for the first time.

AWD is great on ice. I had a 4WD vehicle and it worked ok in snow, but when the snow turned to ice under its wheels, it sucked. AWD is definitely the way to go when it comes to snow/ice

Nothing is good on ice. 4wd is finne in snow. I am looking forward to taking the tundra out for the first time.

I recently traded in my old Wrangler.  It was great in the snow, not so much on ice.  I will miss attaching a tow rope to the roll bar and towing people around on trashcan lids.  

my rwd genesis is bad in rain

i'm not kidding i slip if i go around the right corner and the roads are wet.

thankfully i can work from home as easy as the office so i don't ever go anywhere in the snow.

wife has a CRV with 4wd and it's awesome in the snow. the problem is it's just not that high off the ground. 4wd doesn't do crap for you if you can't clear the height of the snow on the road.

Don't know about 100 years.

Was in Howard Co. at in-laws in 2003 when we got 33" in their backyard over the weekend. Guy across the street had a party planned, and next door neighbor, with a snow blower, plowed paths to his house, and to all the homes on the cul-de-sac. Sat with Bob, God rest his soul, drinking and just watching the snow accumulate on his porch, like an inch an hour.

Still have a photo of my then 7 year old standing on the plowed snow mound on the corner, leaning with her elbow on the street sign.

Ahh, good times.

Oh, BTW, live in Charlotte now, where we're supposed to get a little ice, maybe an inch or less of snow. 48 degrees on Sunday.

Y'all have fun!

Seriously, be thinking about ya, I still have family up there.

With the 100 years, I was talking about the models showing this challenging DC's official numbers.

Yes, for the suburbs, we've been down this path before. I know for the double whammy in 2010 I put up a yard stick in the yard with the first storm. Between the two storms and the massive piles from shoveling it was quite some time before I saw it again.

You guys keep an eye on this too. The latest NAM coming in now gives you guys a lot of ice. Crippling even. Definitely stay tuned and safe! 

So...this morning's model runs have simply not let up. Even increased.

The NWS has started to up their Max Potential - http://www.weather.gov/lwx/winter

Archived