Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Historic Snow Fall 1/22/-1/24 #1 Baltimore #2 IAD *Top 4 DC

just654

Starting this thread so we can discuss the storm out of the Winter Weather Thread. We did this with all the 2010 storms

Blizzard Watch in effect for pretty much the whole area

DCZ001-MDZ004>006-011-013-014-016>018-503>508-VAZ052>057-505-506-

202315-

/O.NEW.KLWX.BZ.A.0001.160122T1700Z-160124T1100Z/

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-

SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-

CALVERT-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST MONTGOMERY-

NORTHWEST HOWARD-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-

SOUTHEAST HARFORD-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-

ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-

KING GEORGE-WESTERN LOUDOUN-EASTERN LOUDOUN-

1013 AM EST WED JAN 20 2016

...BLIZZARD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE

SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A BLIZZARD WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY

AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND WIND. A WINTRY MIX IS POSSIBLE

FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING EAST OF INTERSTATE

95...BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW ON SATURDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...POTENTIAL FOR A FOOT OR MORE OF SNOW.

* TIMING...FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED TO DETERIORATE FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST

SNOW...STRONGEST WINDS...AND POTENTIAL LIFE THREATENING CONDITIONS

EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL CAUSE DANGEROUS

CONDITIONS AND WILL BE A THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY. TRAVEL IS

EXPECTED TO BE SEVERELY LIMITED IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE

HEIGHT OF THE STORM FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. VISIBILITY WILL

BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH FRIDAY. NORTHEAST WINDS WILL

INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH FRIDAY

NIGHT...THEN SHIFT NORTH SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

* TEMPERATURES...MID TO UPPER 20S MOST LOCATIONS. UPPER 20S TO

LOWER 30S ACROSS SOUTHERN MARYLAND.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

USE THIS ADVANCE NOTICE TO PLAN AHEAD! ADJUST TRAVEL PLANS...AND

PLANNED ACTIVITIES. STOCK UP ON NECESSITIES. MAKE PLANS FOR

ELDERLY FAMILY AND THOSE MOST AT RISK. PREPARE FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF

POWER OUTAGES DURING SNOWY AND COLD CONDITIONS. USE THIS TIME TO

MINIMIZE IMPACT ON YOU...YOUR FAMILY...AND YOUR COMMUNITY

So my son is an usher in a wedding,, the first of his friends are getting married...   it is Saturday in Pasadena MD.. on the friggin' BEACH of the Magothy river.

He'll be travelling to and from the site as a passenger in an airport limo-van. Not real comfortable with that. those things are terribly balanced, rear wheel drive, just asking for a problem.

I have no idea what they are going gto do... i also have no idea why no one tried to talk the little princess out of a beach wedding in January PERIOD, much less with the threat of snow.

But.. oh  well.

if not for that, i'd be perfectly content with the weekend.

~Bang

Doing anything outdoors on Saturday involving road travel looks like a very bad idea. Not to be a complete ass, but don't turn a wedding into a funeral.

Update and some analysis from the Capital Weather Gang:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/20/blizzard-watch-severe-snowstorm-likely-friday-through-sunday/

This will be a long duration event – around 36 hours, with snow potentially not ending until late Saturday night or even Sunday morning.

Wherever you are Friday evening, it is quite possible you may need to remain there until Sunday or Monday, or even a bit longer.

Li

So my son is an usher in a wedding,, the first of his friends are getting married...   it is Saturday in Pasadena MD.. on the friggin' BEACH of the Magothy river.

He'll be travelling to and from the site as a passenger in an airport limo-van. Not real comfortable with that. those things are terribly balanced, rear wheel drive, just asking for a problem.

I have no idea what they are going gto do... i also have no idea why no one tried to talk the little princess out of a beach wedding in January PERIOD, much less with the threat of snow.

But.. oh  well.

~Bang

who gets married outside...on the bay....in January? good luck with all of that. that's basically telling your guests you don't care about them.

Doing anything outdoors on Saturday involving road travel looks like a very bad idea. Not to be a complete ass, but don't turn a wedding into a funeral.

Headline: Wedding turns into funeral, cannibalism

Survivor: It was rough. We were trapped. We did what we had to do.

Reporter: It was 48 hours.

Survivor: We didn't wait that long. 

But.. oh  well.

~Bang

Hopefully people put some pressure on them to reconsider.

Even setting aside the safety issue, it will be almost impossible to travel.  Anyone who gets there will be miserable, and almost no one will show up.  There is zero point in having the wedding, even if there are non-refundable deposits.  (Although frankly, I don't imagine the caterer, etc. are planning to show up, so I would have to imagine they'd be willing to reschedule.  They might even demand it.)

fill in the blank

Sacks won't have to go to work for _____ days.

If you work the weekend..All Weekend will be closed.

Friday should be a early Dismal, Monday if it continues to snow into sunday which some of the models are saying. Pretty good bet closed Monday. Tuesday Schools still closed, Govt delayed opening liberal leave.(This could go either way) if we get the historic numbers closed. Wednesday I think we get back to a more normal schedule.  

I'm hoping they postpone.  i don't know these folks, so I won't be there.

Other than that, i'm looking forward to sitting in my house, smoking a little of this or that, and doing whatever I feel like.

~Bang

Pretty much this...Pink Floyd, Zig Zag, Crown Royal, Propane, road salt, honey roasted peanuts, my guitar, etc.

You get the gist...

If you work the weekend..All Weekend will be closed.

Friday should be a early Dismal, Monday if it continues to snow into sunday which some of the models are saying. Pretty good bet closed Monday. Tuesday Schools still closed, Govt delayed opening liberal leave.(This could go either way) if we get the historic numbers closed. Wednesday I think we get back to a more normal schedule.

We had 28 inches of snow in February of 2010 in a Friday-Sunday storm, and schools were closed all week. I think if DC gets the 30 inches they're expected to get, it will be the same thing again-schools and work places closed all week

But.. oh  well.

~Bang

You will have the last laugh because it ain't happening.

Archived